Anyone have good tips on modifications for maintenance?

sparksterz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. RT-300
I've had my bullseye for 2 years now. The first was pretty good, one hitch in that the auger jammed and I needed to clear it out. Not a huge deal. The following year (last year), this happened to me 4 times! Couldn't get much of anything useful from Rec Tec on how to prevent it. Mu issue seem to be well documented on the forums where the grill just won't get up to temp. It'll rise to about 160 and die. In my case due to a jam somewhere... My Rec-Tec Mini has been a work horse over the last half of a decade with hardly any large maintenance required, while my bullseye has become quite the diva...

Things I've checked
* Vents clean
* Igniter is good
* Pellets aren't too big

Things I'm wondering if I should do:
* Figure out what the heck the lid spacer everyone mentions is (in the meantime I've just left it open when starting)
* Should I be caulking more places with Red RTV? If so, where?
* Cut a length of bubble wrap the size of the hopper lid to prevent moisture creeping in

I live in NY and do keep my grill always covered when not in use, but our springs are wet, and last year was extremely so...As a result I can't tell if my issues are moisture based or something else, but if I have to mess with this thing even more this year, I've half a mind to curb it. I want to love it, but it's becoming something I can't count on. It jammed at the end of last season, and it's warm enough weather that I'm going to un-jam the auger tomorrow and clean it all out again, so I thought it would be a good time to take any additional prepping tips you all have and try to apply them as well.

I know I'm not the only one, anyone else have any ideas on what I can do to help get this grill more reliable?

The only jam I ever had was due to mositure getting in and my dad also.

Seems like you've covered all the bases. I would keep bugging RecTeq if I was in your shoes but that's just me. My Bullseye will be 2 years old in July.....you must of gotten yours in the 1st batch? Because I think mine was batch 3 if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Im in pretty much the same boat as you. RT just keeps throwing parts at my unit.

If you dont have the spacer, you definitely need that tho.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back