RT-1250 Anyone hanging a rack in a 1250

Pete6737

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. RT-1250
Hello All. Has anyone heard of splitting the difference of the top and bottom rack with having a rack hang from the top rack and smoking in the middle of the smoker? We all know the top rack is pretty useless for most cooks. I find that the bottom of my meat being close the heat source on the bottom rack tends to dry out the bottom a bit. I’m wondering if I raised the meat to the middle of the smoker if that would have any benefit. Thanks, Pete

Is there room for a rack between the two existing racks? I only have the bottom rack so I picked up this 10”x14” rack off Amazon for about $20. It’s very well built and I can put foil pans under it to catch drippings and grease. Makes clean up a breeze. I’m looking for a larger one to be able to cook more than one piece of meat at a time. Green Mountain Grills has a lot of racks to choose from I just like the way this one sat on the existing rack.

Is there room for a rack between the two existing racks? I only have the bottom rack so I picked up this 10”x14” rack off Amazon for about $20. It’s very well built and I can put foil pans under it to catch drippings and grease. Makes clean up a breeze. I’m looking for a larger one to be able to cook more than one piece of meat at a time. Green Mountain Grills has a lot of racks to choose from I just like the way this one sat on the existing rack.
I like your idea better lol! Yes. I’d like to make a little distance from the heat. Your rack is the better mousetrap than my idea. I’m going to check this out. Thanks!!

Hello All. Has anyone heard of splitting the difference of the top and bottom rack with having a rack hang from the top rack and smoking in the middle of the smoker? We all know the top rack is pretty useless for most cooks. I find that the bottom of my meat being close the heat source on the bottom rack tends to dry out the bottom a bit. I’m wondering if I raised the meat to the middle of the smoker if that would have any benefit. Thanks, Pete
I use the top rack on my 1250 all the time for all night brisket and butt cooks. Works great. Set the grill at 225 and go to bed.

As a suggestion, pick up 2 of the RecTeq small racks. They are great for elevating your proteins, into the smokiest zone on the RT700, they are easy to configure in multiple ways, and store with no problem. I usually put 2 butts on (one each rack) and put the ribs under them (6 racks) and everything lives in harmony. I also put briskets below the racks and let the pork butt flavors saturate the brisket and it’s better than wrapping them in bacon. They also accommodate half foil pans with no problem if you’re trying to keep the drippings from your cooks. One word of caution, don’t put your meats fat side down, they will “stick” to the racks if you’re not careful.

If hanging the rack becomes too much of an engineering feat - consider wrapping up some bricks in foil to hold up your rack.

^^^ I like the way this guy thinks. Might have to add this to my skill set for the next time I've gotten to greedy for the grill size

As a suggestion, pick up 2 of the RecTeq small racks. They are great for elevating your proteins, into the smokiest zone on the RT700, they are easy to configure in multiple ways, and store with no problem. I usually put 2 butts on (one each rack) and put the ribs under them (6 racks) and everything lives in harmony. I also put briskets below the racks and let the pork butt flavors saturate the brisket and it’s better than wrapping them in bacon. They also accommodate half foil pans with no problem if you’re trying to keep the drippings from your cooks. One word of caution, don’t put your meats fat side down, they will “stick” to the racks if you’re not careful.
Great suggestion. Plus, if you ditch the light inside the RT-700, you can use 3 small shelves. Full disclosure, I’ve not yet done that with my RT-700. The small shelves are so practical, I’ve posted pics of them here inverted with a mat inside them-great veg grilling tool.

Here is what I did. I used two fire bricks cut in half lengthways and then used a file to cut a slot in the fire brick to allow the rack to lay flat on the bricks. Took all of ten minutes to do all of that. There is 6-1/2” of cooking space on the top rack and you have 2-1/2” of space between the bottom rack and the lowered top rack, enough space to put a pan to collect drippings and/or put a water pan on the grill.

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back