Anyone found GrillGrates to completely replace the existing grates?

chaotic646

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have GrillGrates on most of my grills/smokers and I'd like to get some for my Stampede but they only sell the kind that sit on top...I want to completely replace my Recteq provided grates with Grill Grates. Has anyone found a set that will fit without having to have them custom cut?

I have GrillGrates on most of my grills/smokers and I'd like to get some for my Stampede but they only sell the kind that sit on top...I want to completely replace my Recteq provided grates with Grill Grates. Has anyone found a set that will fit without having to have them custom cut?
Have you looked in the Grill Grate web site to see if you can find the size you want?

https://www.grillgrate.com/pellet-grills

Yes, but rather than check every size for every grill offered I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has already found one.

Yes, but rather than check every size for every grill offered I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has already found one.

Not sure what is so difficult to check, there is only 9 listed and they give measurements and tell what grills they will fit.
Put grates all the way across and your really gonna have to jack with temp settings and auger rates to get it back to close , as the grates get quite a bit hotter.

I don’t know anything about the Stampede, but the recteq GrillGrates set for the Bull is sized to replace one of the original grates. So 2 sets of the Bull GrillGrates would replace the original recteq grates.

Having said that, there is another compelling reason why that might not be a good idea. I haven’t tried this myself, but some of the users that have oriented their GrillGrates to fill from front to back report that the grease will run the full length of the grates, even though food is located only over the drip pan. This allows the grease to drip in places where it will not be contained by the drip pan.

Between this kind of post and some of the stuff I see on Amazon items and elsewhere I'm beginning to feel like the only guy in the world who knows what a tape measure is or knows how to use it. The GG site is pretty clear about measurements..................................I guess I don't comprehend the mystery.

One thing I would caution you on, make sure your grates (if ventilated) don’t allow grease to drip beyond the drip pan’s covered areas. Doing so could lead to a grease fire and result in potential damage to your smoker. I know they are longer (front to back) than the drip pan on the RT700 and someone on the site had an issue with their RT590, just a warning.

Last edited:
I don't think using grill grates to cover the entire grill surface will be a good idea. There will be too much heat under them and may overheat the bottom section of the cookbox, maybe even enough to burn the paint. As well the RT-590 is set up for convection type heating where the heat come out around the peremter of the drip tray and up through the stock grates. With an entire cooking surface of grill grates, you'd be reducing the convention operation of the grill.

With that said, I have grill grates that cover the entire surface of my Weber Summit gaser, which just so happens to be the identical depth of the RT-590 (one of the reasons I selected the 590) so I swap some of them over to the 590 when I want to sear, but only use 3 out of the 5 grillgrates so heat can escape from the lower cookbox and not overheat it. You can do as you like, but I would get Rec Req's recommendation.

But to answer your question, the (5) grill grates for Weber Summit S-450 measure 19.25" x 25.5" and will fit the nearly the entire surface of the RT-590. But like other have mentioned, the grillgrates web site shows you how to correctly measure your grill using a tape measure to make sure you order the correct size and number of grates. I would always measure for myself instead of trusting what someone wrote in a forum.

Between this kind of post and some of the stuff I see on Amazon items and elsewhere I'm beginning to feel like the only guy in the world who knows what a tape measure is or knows how to use it. The GG site is pretty clear about measurements..................................I guess I don't comprehend the mystery.
It has nothing to do with knowing how to use a tape measure or not. Pre-fabbed GG are much cheaper than custom-made, but thanks for your snarky reply.

Chaotic, did you ever do this? If so, any problems?

I'm interested in doing the same thing on my RT-700. I talked to someone at RecTec a couple of weeks ago, and the only problem he mentioned was that it might affect the reading of the smoker temp probe. However, the other potential problems mentioned in this thread give me pause.

I would not replace all surface with GrillGrates. My Weber Genesis has an entire GrillGrate surface - two flat side up and the rest grate up. If I want sear temps, the gasser is so much hotter and quicker to temp. Plus I can have the Weber ramp up while I'm doing the lower temp on the RT590. e.g. doing a reverse sear steak - not having to wait for the RT590 to get the GrillGrates hot enough to effectively sear (while the steak just hangs out) after the lower temp part of the cook.

If you need to use GrillGrates on your RT, only cover the surface area needed to do the job and then only when you need them.

I bought a set of 3 GG for the RT590, used them once then just didn't see the point having to wait so long to get up to temp when I have the Weber sitting next to the RT590.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back