Anyone ever use different cut of meat for burnt ends?

jonny_comfort

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I have a couple of decent size rump roasts, would like to try burnt ends with them. Now, I know, the fat marbling just isnt there for traditional burnt ends...but what if I were to cook them to, say, medium, then cube, sauce, etc...? Anyone ever try this? I'd really like to add some burnt ends to the menu tommorrow....we're already set to smoke a nice prime rib roast and some other goodies too.

You can "burnt" anything. Just like you can "chicken fry" anything.
I think your success is going to ride on your sauce/glaze.

Love this time of year....so, the carmelizing is in process now. Looking forward to how this comes out

20221123_113501.jpg

What about all the "recent" hype about bologna, or hot dog burnt ends. (I say "recent" because I am not necessarily up on all the latest trends, and I only saw these two recently) I plan on trying the hot dogs tomorrow, but I was curious about the bologna chunks. (curious, and kind of grossed out? like a meat train wreck, I can't not try it?)

P.S. Off topic, but in the realm of "weird" combinations, we did try the bacon wrapped Oreos, and I will do things differently, IF I ever make them again. (1) I will use regular Oreos, not double stuff (2) I will put a salty/spicy rub on them.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!

I burnt some SPAM this week, that falls right in there with hot dogs and bologna. Cubes, about thumbnail size, crisp burnt outside, soft almost spongy inside.

I burnt some SPAM this week, that falls right in there with hot dogs and bologna. Cubes, about thumbnail size, crisp burnt outside, soft almost spongy inside.
How was it? (flavor wise?) Would you do again? Would you recommend to a Friend? An Enemy?

How was it? (flavor wise?) Would you do again? Would you recommend to a Friend? An Enemy?
2 eggs and a smattering of spam burn ends are great. Yes I will do it again. I always keep spam on hand in case of the apocalypse. You wanna get fancy take some toothpicks and some pineapple, spam and cheese and that's damn near gourmet appetizers!

I have done them with a Chuck roast and sliced up pork butt … both came out very good. Tried with round, ok but too lean.

so far I have done a chuck roast, first attempt, they were ok, not great.
I have done pork belly burnt ends, turned out great.
I have done pork shoulder burnt ends, also great.
I have even tried bologna burnt ends, very good.
and of course brisket point burnt ends, my favorite part of a brisket cook... Delicious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back