Anyone close off back vents on 590 and add smoke stack / chimney???

Hi Wes, I came across this post because I was looking for a good way to redirect my smoke exhaust to go up above my roofline (to avoid too much smoke getting into my house soffits). Any chance you could build one where the caps were removable? This way I could hook up to a flexible vent sometimes if needed. Looks awesome!

$175 shipped, message me if you would like full details.
It really is very cool looking. I live in Southern California and the weather is great. No big winds and I don't cook in the rain. Other than aesthetics, and inclement weather, what are the benefits? Thank you!

Hi Wes, I came across this post because I was looking for a good way to redirect my smoke exhaust to go up above my roofline (to avoid too much smoke getting into my house soffits). Any chance you could build one where the caps were removable? This way I could hook up to a flexible vent sometimes if needed. Looks awesome!
The cap is attached by stainless steal threaded rod with jam nuts to hold in place, it can be removed.

It really is very cool looking. I live in Southern California and the weather is great. No big winds and I don't cook in the rain. Other than aesthetics, and inclement weather, what are the benefits? Thank you!
Those are the big things it helps with along with keeping the area around the vents clean, but the cap will get the build up on it. It is really hard to say if it changes any thing like the smoke profile with out have two side by side to test.

Interested. Assuming you have some kind of sealer or hi temp gaskets to seal around the oval vents on the grill

I've been thinking about closing off the three exhaust ports on the 590 and adding a chimney to the right rear. I am curious to know if anybody else has thought to do this or actually tried it? My theory is that this will reduce the amount of fuel used (slightly), increase the amount of smoke in the chamber, and reduce heat loss on cold windy days. I don't feel that air circulation will be an issue because pellet grills have fans. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
I've been thinking about closing off the three exhaust ports on the 590 and adding a chimney to the right rear. I am curious to know if anybody else has thought to do this or actually tried it? My theory is that this will reduce the amount of fuel used (slightly), increase the amount of smoke in the chamber, and reduce heat loss on cold windy days. I don't feel that air circulation will be an issue because pellet grills have fans. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

I've been holding off on buying the all weather vents - partly because I don't like bendable tabs and then sealing as a way of attaching. My interest is more for rain protection than some type of performance / smoke gain. Not having the rain protection as part of the original design (for an Outside grill) was surprising. I'm thinking of a sheet of aluminum that fits under the hood hinges - so the hinge bolts hold the sheet, bends around (either as shown or a simple curve) and fits into an alum channel on the back. I'll drill out the pop rivets holding the rear grate support and replace with small stainless bolts to hold the channel. There's plenty of room in the standard 590 cover to fit over it. I may need to put thin washers under one bolt on the hinge to position the hinge pin in the original location so the main lid fits correctly. If I wanted to reduce the exhaust area slightly (not sure this is a good idea), then just adjust the dimensions accordingly. The sheet length is about the same as the grill box. Probably not too thick - maybe 22 ga. Dimensions shown have about 3 times the exhaust area of the 3 exhaust holes because smoke can exit out either end - could close one end if needed with a little more work. Alum sheet is cheap & no new holes in the grill. if I don't like the way it performs, then easy to remove and / or replace sheet & retighten the hinge bolts.

We live about 1 mile from the Gulf of Mexico, so have plenty of rain & wind. Cold temps are not a problem.

1598099174718.png

It's just a shame that you spend $900 on a smoker and need to to make modification to make it work better. I'm interested in this mod too.

@wesgegg i have been trying to reach you I’m hoping your still in this forum. I’m interested in the stack for the 590

I've seen the smoke stack contraption on FB and it looks pretty cool. The person who did the design is Wesley Gegg, he's in most of the RecTec forums on FB and I believe he still sells them "made to order".

Here is a pic. of what it looks like.
View attachment 2118

I've also seen another user close up the 3 ports in the rear and install a stack on the right (similar to that of the Bull). Can't seem to find that one... yet...
That is pretty sweet looking. May have to look further into it.

Wes, could you tell us why you decided to modify the smoker as you did? What have been the results? I'm always amazed at the ideas people come up with because I never think outside the box. Nor do I have the ability to make something like that. Looks very nice Wes?

Also, it appears the RecTeQ 590 cover seems to fit while looking at Mike260's post.

this is an interesting discussion but not applicable for new 590 owners. we just learned this morning that the 3 large vents have been replaced by 5 columns of thin vents across the back.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/it’s-here-with-a-change.3623/post-40428

i have a 590 on the way right now... not sure what to think about the new vents. i wasn't worried about the 3 large vents since i have a large covered patio but won't have anything to compare against so in the end likely won't make a huge difference to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Wes....as follow-up to above...wasn't sure the best way to message you about the smokestack for the 590. Hope this works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back