Any suggestions for smoking a four pound chuck roast?

JamesB

I have it marinating in soy, au jus, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. I’m planning to smoke it at 225. Any “can’t fail” or great rubs anyone suggests?

Smoke it like a brisket with home made Big Bad Beef rub from amazingribs.com

I have it marinating in soy, au jus, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. I’m planning to smoke it at 225. Any “can’t fail” or great rubs anyone suggests?
I’ve cooked a number of Chuck roasts over the last year. My process isn’t too different from doing brisket except it doesn’t take as long. I smoke it at 225-250 for 2-3 hours, wrap it, and stick a probe in it until I get it to 205. Then I use my thermopen to physically check for doneness. After it’s done , it’s best to let it rest for 30-60 minutes before slicing.

I think what you’re marinating in is fine. Just like anything else…if you like those flavors, stick with it. Plain ol’ salt and pepper works. If you’re feeling adventurous, put your favorite bbq sauce on it when you wrap it.

There used to be a product called “Steak Dust” by Durkee. Used to get it at Sams. Could get it anymore, for years, but found something very similar, if not exactly the same, at the local USFoods restaurant warehouse. It’s also called “steak dust”…put out by Monarch. I use that a lot on steaks, burgers, and other beef.

Good luck on your cook.

There used to be a product called “Steak Dust” by Durkee. Used to get it at Sams. Could get it anymore, for years, but found something very similar, if not exactly the same, at the local USFoods restaurant warehouse. It’s also called “steak dust”…put out by Monarch. I use that a lot on steaks, burgers, and other beef.

Good luck on your cook.
Still available....
https://www.samsclub.com/p/durkee-steak-dust-seasoning/prod20121825?xid=plp_product_1

The Durkee “Steak Dust” is essentially SPOG without the S (salt). I find that it is far less expensive to make your own SPOG (or POG) using the basic ingredients than to buy pre-mixed stuff. I make and use the POG version when I want to control the amount of salt used.
I do most of my own rubs but there's something a little different about the steak dust that I like. The ingredients include beef fat (dried?) and "natural flavoring" (who knows what that is). Bottom line, though, is you're right...can't ever go wrong with SPOG.

The Durkee “Steak Dust” is essentially SPOG without the S (salt). I find that it is far less expensive to make your own SPOG (or POG) using the basic ingredients than to buy pre-mixed stuff. I make and use the POG version when I want to control the amount of salt used.
What is your goto ratio and what grind for each?

Just did a 4 pound chuck roast. Used Heifer Dust and Competition rub, put in refrigerator overnight. 2 hour on LO on my Bullseye, then 225 until it hit 165. Wrapped in butcher paper and removed at 205. 8-1/2 hour on smoker followed by 1 hour rest. Great smoke ring, tender and juicy. Used Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets.

My personal SPOG recipe is pretty simple…

2 parts coarse kosher salt
2 parts coarse black pepper (16 mesh)
1 part granulated onion
1 part granulated garlic
Would granulated onion/garlic be the same as the powders or a different product?

Would granulated onion/garlic be the same as the powders or a different product?
They are different products. You can use the powder versions as well, but I prefer the granulated. The powder is quite fine while the granulated is more the consistency of table salt or slightly larger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back