Any luck on 2.5 Auger for 2022 with Recteq?

This is why I look forward to Saturdays so I can look at the latest posts! This is one of the best so far! Thanks for all your info Roaniecowpony!

That’s awesome yours gets to 500 no problems! Mine was taking 40-50 minutes to get to the 400s after plenty of troubleshooting.

The main reason I reached out as the time was taking forever and in the summer with no A/C in the house when it’s hot, I bought the 700 over the 590 so I could get two pizzas on for dinner once a week. After spending over $1400 on a smoker and waiting for dinner a few nights, I started to troubleshoot. I didn’t want to crank up our oven as I had a perfectly good smoker that could do the pizzas. That’s why I looked into this.
You spent over $1.4k on git rt-700? Holy cow!! Mine was much less than that new plus I got a free Matadore with it. I'd say it takes a out 10-15 mins to reach 500 on mine. My wife doesn't want me to go that high though cuz she's afraid I may burn it out. Excellent for reverse searing beef tenderloin.
I'm 100% off grid, no a/c either.

A pellet smoker is not a great pizza oven. Yes, it can cook a pizza. But a home oven works at least as well or better. I think these pellet grill makers advertise that their pellet grill will cook anything. They will, but they compromise on the final product quality. If you want great pizza, temperatures of 600F are needed for true soft NY style, and up to about 850F are needed for the super tender bready Neapolitan style. Some of the guys here have bought an accessory that fits within the pellet smoker and makes for a concentrated use of the heat from the pellet pot. They can get those NY pizza temps and maybe higher, to make great pizza. I haven't gone this way, since I have a dedicated outdoor pizza oven.
I won't compromise my 700 going over 500 (if i even do that). Low & slow for this baby. I get some smoke flavor not much compared to my wood barrel smoker, though.

I ran my first cook with the 2 rpm motor yesterday. It was the spare ribs. 1 hour at 180/LO, with the factory default min feed rate, and it held very well maybe +/- 3 degrees with one overshoot 5 degrees. 4 hours at 275 showed only a 2 degree overshoot after having the door open for 10 minutes. When I bumped it to 350 after having the door open for 5 minutes it overshot to 355 and took 20 minutes to get back to 350.

I can't say its less stable. I think the OEM 1.6 rpm motor would have behaved similarly. Maybe the recovery would be a bit faster. It does seem to take longer to cool down when lowering from 350 to 250.

I ran my first cook with the 2 rpm motor yesterday. It was the spare ribs. 1 hour at 180/LO, with the factory default min feed rate, and it held very well maybe +/- 3 degrees with one overshoot 5 degrees. 4 hours at 275 showed only a 2 degree overshoot after having the door open for 10 minutes. When I bumped it to 350 after having the door open for 5 minutes it overshot to 355 and took 20 minutes to get back to 350.

I can't say its less stable. I think the OEM 1.6 rpm motor would have behaved similarly. Maybe the recovery would be a bit faster. It does seem to take longer to cool down when lowering from 350 to 250.

I had opened a support inquiry with the OEM motor for what you experienced and RecTec confirmed it was my fault for using the grill and opening the lid. A battle I'm not ready to spend my time on just yet. Not sure the 3RPM like you say behaves any different in this regard. It has always been an issue lowering temps for me with the OEM. I'm happy that it will hold temps so that is the main thing to me.

I had opened a support inquiry with the OEM motor for what you experienced and RecTec confirmed it was my fault for using the grill and opening the lid. A battle I'm not ready to spend my time on just yet. Not sure the 3RPM like you say behaves any different in this regard. It has always been an issue lowering temps for me with the OEM. I'm happy that it will hold temps so that is the main thing to me.
In my case, the 3 RPM would overshoot. YMMV

I'm probably going to start a brisket this afternoon/evening. I built enough trust in the 2 rpm to put a $80 hunk of beef on there. I'll hook up my Thermaworks Smoke for an alarm...just in case.
Thank you for all of the testing and plotting you did with the motor!
Please forgive me if you mentioned it before, but were the temperatures on your graph taken from your ThermoWorks Smoke? I’m just wondering, because my grill with the 3 RPM motor has always looked completely stable on the RT app/controller (+/-3 degrees), but on my ThermoWorks Signals, it’s varied by +/-15 degrees. I’m just trying to compare data from similar devices to see if I should try the 2 RPM motor 🙂.

Thank you for all of the testing and plotting you did with the motor!
Please forgive me if you mentioned it before, but were the temperatures on your graph taken from your ThermoWorks Smoke? I’m just wondering, because my grill with the 3 RPM motor has always looked completely stable on the RT app/controller (+/-3 degrees), but on my ThermoWorks Signals, it’s varied by +/-15 degrees. I’m just trying to compare data from similar devices to see if I should try the 2 RPM motor 🙂.
Gotcha, i used the RT onboard RTD and display. I gave some thought to using the Smoke, but in the end, I got in a hurry and just used the onboard. I'm with you, I think there's some "smoothing" going on in there. But, I get the impression that, if the temperature deviates long enough, it will indicate it. A benefit to using the onboard readout is that the community won't get all worked up about all the blips that actually go on (in an all OEM configuration too).

Gotcha, i used the RT onboard RTD and display. I gave some thought to using the Smoke, but in the end, I got in a hurry and just used the onboard. I'm with you, I think there's some "smoothing" going on in there. But, I get the impression that, if the temperature deviates long enough, it will indicate it. A benefit to using the onboard readout is that the community won't get all worked up about all the blips that actually go on (in an all OEM configuration too).
Thank you! Yes, it’s easier to use data that we all (theoretically) have 🙂.

Just reporting back after a week with the new motor from Recteq… WOW! Now this thing does low and slow and can get to 500+ in 10-20 minutes. Tried chicken breast a few times a deer burgers with a griddle. Flawless on both!

Super happy with this and glad I made the update. If you don’t need high temps quick or don’t care about it, stock is awesome, but if yours had an issue like mine, this did the fix!

Just reporting back after a week with the new motor from Recteq… WOW! Now this thing does low and slow and can get to 500+ in 10-20 minutes. Tried chicken breast a few times a deer burgers with a griddle. Flawless on both!

Super happy with this and glad I made the update. If you don’t need high temps quick or don’t care about it, stock is awesome, but if yours had an issue like mine, this did the fix!
Yeah, never had issues with mine. Didn't feel like wasting the $s.

Are there instructions on how to install the 2 RPM auger? I see some keep saying they drilled the shaft but I can't find to what dimensions.

the non 1250 controller is limited to 600 on full. thats its top. 3 rpm will hold it steady at 600 on full for me. i don’t ever really go past 500 though. but the 1250 is the same barrel and can handle 700 degrees
From what I understand the 590 uses the same controller as the 1250. Could I run a true 2rpm on the 590 or has anyone tried it?

Also looking for info on drilling out the new motor shaft for RT700 - any help appreciated as always!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back