Any ideas how I can fix this boo boo?

JR2BAIL

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1250
Before smoking my Brisket I decided to clean up my Bull 1250. Part of my process was heating to 700 for a few minutes and during this phase I leaned up against the Bull to check my hopper.

I was wearing my Puffy Vest which didn’t take kindly to the contact with 700 degree stainless and kinda caught fire and melted onto the lid…stuffing and all. Now I have the baked on mess you see in the pic.

I’ve tried everything to clean off….. from scrubbing with non abrasives to not mess up the paint, using goooff products, baking soda/vinger and soap and water. Trying the aforementioned with lid hot and cold. Nothings working…Any ideas or should I just now count this as Patina! 😤. Your thoughts would be appreciated…I’m only 59 yrs, smoking forever and what a rookie move I know!

Ps.. I did get the Brisket on which turned out Bad Ass! Btw..my wife really enjoyed my funky chicken moves as I was dealing with my Vest mess…she still has yet to let up on the jokes and enjoys telling anyone who will listen when they come over…So love my Bull!

image.jpg

8DAB9081-4756-4338-A2DA-309D0A8D422C.jpeg

2ABB6626-F8D1-4045-8F96-E63A2BE44196.jpeg

511D1FD7-584C-44EB-A51F-2FC63C9261FB.jpeg

95D6F30D-E5FB-4F79-8098-EA2F48DA346A.jpeg

As I guy that has melted numerous articles of clothing on hot stuff, I feel your pain. Every Coleman lantern I've ever owned as beauty marks on them courtesy of meltable garments, picnic table tarps, and tent flaps.

I "guess" you could be fairly aggressive in scrubbing as the lid is presumably powder coated, but that's a tough one. Don't quote me on that though. Excellent recovery on the brisket!

Good solid contact with the hot grill though! Not exactly a glancing blow :ROFLMAO: I guess you're asking for a new jacket for Christmas.

No idea how to removed the nylon but sanding it down to the metal and repainting is a last resort option. I repainted my 340, sanded down to the metal fairly easily using a DA, 80 grit to start. Primed and repainted using Rustoleum's heat paint. Suppose you could call RT and see what they suggest.

Before smoking my Brisket I decided to clean up my Bull 1250. Part of my process was heating to 700 for a few minutes and during this phase I leaned up against the Bull to check my hopper.

I was wearing my Puffy Vest which didn’t take kindly to the contact with 700 degree stainless and kinda caught fire and melted onto the lid…stuffing and all. Now I have the baked on mess you see in the pic.

I’ve tried everything to clean off….. from scrubbing with non abrasives to not mess up the paint, using goooff products, baking soda/vinger and soap and water. Trying the aforementioned with lid hot and cold. Nothings working…Any ideas or should I just now count this as Patina! 😤. Your thoughts would be appreciated…I’m only 59 yrs, smoking forever and what a rookie move I know!

Ps.. I did get the Brisket on which turned out Bad Ass! Btw..my wife really enjoyed my funky chicken moves as I was dealing with my Vest mess…she still has yet to let up on the jokes and enjoys telling anyone who will listen when they come over…So love my Bull!

View attachment 17832

View attachment 17833

View attachment 17834

View attachment 17835

View attachment 17836
Try baking soda and vinegar.

Sorry to hear of the inadvertent battle scar. You’re taking the char and sear concepts way too seriously, haha. Stuff happens. Have you tried reheating it to 700 and see if you can scrape some of the char off at temperature. It may re-liquify and make its removal a little easier if it hasn’t bonded with your other cleaning attempts. Also, it may sound crazy but try heating an iron (don’t tell your wife) to high, put a cotton town on the marks and see if you can get them to wick off the metal and onto the towel by ironing over it (it works with wax and grease). Good luck and I can’t wait to see the after pictures.

Not sure how this works on Powdercoat, but I have cleaned many Weber gas and charcoal grills that have ceramic coating with normal oven cleaner. Results are amazing. Like brand new. I would find an isolated area on the powder-coat to test first.

No idea how to removed the nylon but sanding it down to the metal and repainting is a last resort option. I repainted my 340, sanded down to the metal fairly easily using a DA, 80 grit to start. Primed and repainted using Rustoleum's heat paint. Suppose you could call RT and see what they suggest.
That’s a great idea…thank you

Thanks for the response folks…I’ve tried a few of your ideas and will ultimately try em all till I git er done. Leaving for a week but will update when I return. Appreciate the help!

Razor blade very lightly not to dig into or scratch the powder coat. It will take time and patience like surgery type.

You can try dry ice to freeze it which in turn shrinks it and makes it brittle then scrape it off.
WD-40 is an amazing chemical and works to remove melted or stuck on items.
Nail polish might be worth a shot but try it on a small area to see if it harms the powder coating.

A perfect opportunity to do a custom paint job ... with flames of course. ;)

Truth be known, I was itching to put flames on my 700 from day one.

Oven cleaner, I'd second as a try. Or also can try BarKeepers Friend. That seems to do wonders on some stuff.

You can try dry ice to freeze it which in turn shrinks it and makes it brittle then scrape it off.
WD-40 is an amazing chemical and works to remove melted or stuck on items.
Nail polish might be worth a shot but try it on a small area to see if it harms the powder coating.
I like the dry ice suggestion. It has no chemical issues and just might fracture the melted stuff enough to carefully remove it with a wooden or plastic scraper.

View attachment 17832

View attachment 17833

View attachment 17834

View attachment 17835

View attachment 17836
I can remember the name but Harley or anybody sells stuff for removing melted boot heel off pipes....worth a shot*

View attachment 17832

View attachment 17833

View attachment 17834

View attachment 17835

View attachment 17836
Nice looking Brisket !! A sturdy plastic ice scraper or plastic putty knife my pop the melted plastic off depending on how firmly it is "welded" to the powder coat. I would steer clear of any solvents strong enough to dissolve Nylon or polypropylene (or similar plastic materials) as they have some very strong bonds.

Thanks for the story. You may have saved me future grief!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back