Any chance the App will be updated to all 5ghz

JamesB

I am wondering if I’ll have to install a new Wi-Fi router to connect my RT-700.

@JamesB a new router shouldn't be needed. Simply turn off the 5Ghz during the setup of your RT-700 Bull, then you can turn it back on.
I have a dual band LinkSys Velop Pro 6 Wi-Fi system, and all of the other devices in my home, smart TV’s laptops etc, are connected through my 5gz Wi-Fi. Will the recteq app work with a dual band system once I turn the 5gz system on again?

I have a dual band LinkSys Velop Pro 6 Wi-Fi system, and all of the other devices in my home, smart TV’s laptops etc, are connected through my 5gz Wi-Fi. Will the recteq app work with a dual band system once I turn the 5gz system on again?
Yes. Once it’s connected to the network you are good to go.

Yes sir.

@JamesB a new router shouldn't be needed. Simply turn off the 5Ghz during the setup of your RT-700 Bull, then you can turn it back on.
Hi again Mike. Just as a follow up, it turns out that I didn’t have to shut off my 5ghz network. The problem was in the nodes for the whole system. After I established my 2.4 setup under a distinct name, I had to reestablished the nodes for my entire Velop dual band Wi-Fi system. Apparently they weren’t recognizing the 2.4ghz channel before I reinstalled them. As soon as I did that the RT-700 connected via the app on the first attempt. Next stop…brisket 🎉

I just installed the latest RT app on my Android phone. Connected 590 to the 2.4 signal (excellent signal at grill and phone). I then started the grill w/ the app and set it to 225F. All seemed good except I realized the grill seem to be taking a very long time to heat up according to the app. In actuality the grill had been at 225F for quite awhile but app did not refresh. Same thing happened multiple times during the 5hr cook.

Looks as if all the gremlins are not out of app yet. Before the "upgrade" this never happened and I removed the app for about 6 months since I didn't trust it. Now back to not trusting it again.

TD

I am wondering if I’ll have to install a new Wi-Fi router to connect my RT-700.
2.4 GHz is better for distance communications. Since the grill is not in your living room, 2.4 GHz is a better choice. In addition the amount of data being exchanged by the grill and phone is pretty low so the higher band width of the 5GHz channel is not needed.

My $0.02 worth.

Has anyone had any experience with single WiFi connections (Spectrum specifically). Their manual says that the 'smart' router will determine which band to use for the specific device but thats obviously a problem if it 'smartly' chooses 5.0ghz for the RT and its not supported.

I’m using Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) and the RT app won’t connect to the iPhone at all today. It will—reluctantly—connect to the iPad after a couple of tries. Both devices were within two feet of the grill when attempting to connect. And, yes; I am using a 2.4 GHz router. Oddly enough, even though the app won’t connect to the grill on the iPhone, I can use the “Recipe” and “Shop” functions in the app so I know it is connected to the internet,

I had to delete the existing app on both devices and download/install it again before ANY connection was possble. I had to do the same thing a couple of months ago too. Frankly, the Recteq app SUCKS! I’m just going to use the grill manually until I decide what I will replace the Trailblazer/RT-340 with. You can bet, however, that it will NOT be another Recteq product; I just don’t need the aggravation!i

Wouldn’t you know it? I just picked up the iPhone and ran the RT app; it connected right up, even though the grill is turned off (it is still plugged in, however).

Do I understand correctly that the app depends on a server at RT? And, that the server sometimes gets overloaded with traffic? What I don’t know about computer stuff would fill a couple of very large dump trucks!

Anyone else getting tired of the notifications on the app not working every time there's a holiday! Recteq still hasn't fixed the app. It's becoming pretty obvious they care more about selling more grills than fixing the problems they have.

Sorry but from my experience yesterday (Easter), I have to disagree. I used my Bull to roast a ton of various vegetables for Easter dinner. Several had different set pints and duration. The notices helped me coordinate cooking times and temps perfectly.

I’m using Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) and the RT app won’t connect to the iPhone at all today. It will—reluctantly—connect to the iPad after a couple of tries. Both devices were within two feet of the grill when attempting to connect. And, yes; I am using a 2.4 GHz router. Oddly enough, even though the app won’t connect to the grill on the iPhone, I can use the “Recipe” and “Shop” functions in the app so I know it is connected to the internet,

I had to delete the existing app on both devices and download/install it again before ANY connection was possble. I had to do the same thing a couple of months ago too. Frankly, the Recteq app SUCKS! I’m just going to use the grill manually until I decide what I will replace the Trailblazer/RT-340 with. You can bet, however, that it will NOT be another Recteq product; I just don’t need the aggravation!i
I did find recently that my iPhone needs to be connected to my WiFi network BEFORE powering up the Bull/700. Previously, I did go through the gymnastics of uninstalling/reinstalling the App because the phone couldn't find the Bull.

My iPhone is an older phone (replaced by a newer one) that is dedicated to just the Bull/700 controls. As long as I power up my iPhone first and give it time to connect to my WiFi network, then power up the Bull, I haven't had problems.

FWIW, the notifications seem to be working properly for me......

I just installed the latest RT app on my Android phone. Connected 590 to the 2.4 signal (excellent signal at grill and phone). I then started the grill w/ the app and set it to 225F. All seemed good except I realized the grill seem to be taking a very long time to heat up according to the app. In actuality the grill had been at 225F for quite awhile but app did not refresh. Same thing happened multiple times during the 5hr cook.

Looks as if all the gremlins are not out of app yet. Before the "upgrade" this never happened and I removed the app for about 6 months since I didn't trust it. Now back to not trusting it again.

TD
This has been a problem for a long time. I would have rathered they fix the problem than put on a new look to the app.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back