Bull Another weekend, another problem

On a lot of issues, that does appear to be the case. On the deflector warping, the discussions I’ve seen here would indicate that the reps handle it the same-‘It’s normal, no replacement unless it raises the drip pan, and send us a picture as proof.’
So I guess my larger question is: is stainless steel warping a defect in the materials? The warranty specified defects in material and/or workmanship is covered. I’m trying to think of any other example where if I had a large piece of stainless or anything that has warped to the degree this has, how would that be acceptable?

Because to me, it doesn’t matter if the component is seen or not seen, it’s a component where the material has failed to stand up to the temperatures.

I’m going to call and get someone on the line. Honestly sometimes it’s just the principle of things. You can’t sell a premium product, brag how much higher the quality is vs Traeger, and then tell me warping is acceptable

So I guess my larger question is: is stainless steel warping a defect in the materials? The warranty specified defects in material and/or workmanship is covered. I’m trying to think of any other example where if I had a large piece of stainless or anything that has warped to the degree this has, how would that be acceptable?

Because to me, it doesn’t matter if the component is seen or not seen, it’s a component where the material has failed to stand up to the temperatures.
I'm sure if you ask nicely, they will sell you a new one. Stainless, not cast 😁

I'm sure if you ask nicely, they will sell you a new one. Stainless, not cast 😁
Haha. I have cast on my 1250. Maybe I’ll just suggest to them I’ll swap out my 1250 deflector to the 700 every cook.

Or maybe my 1250 deflector will need replacement…not that I would or should have to play games like that.

I So I guess my larger question is: is stainless steel warping a defect in the materials?
Mild steel can warp at high temps, stainless or otherwise, day one or day 365+. I’m not happy my 700 deflector warped either, but as far as performance is concerned, I really can’t see where it matters. My 340 deflector never warped, but I didn’t try and drive it to 500°+ like I did with the 700. I appreciate and can relate to your position, I’m just saying that if the deflector doesn’t jack up the drip pan, it has no impact on cooking performance.

Your options, as I see it, are to live with it and enjoy the food that comes off the 700, buy a HD Smoke Daddy deflector that will not warp, buy a cast iron deflector assuming recteq ever sells them separately, or continue to be unhappy about the entire situation. But I don’t see recteq offering to replace the SS deflector that you purchased with another SS deflector that can also warp on the first time you cook with it. The reason that I say that they will not be willing to replace It is because if they do, the moment you give us an update that they did, everyone here that has a warped deflector will be calling for their replacement.

BTW, if a recteq rep is saying that the switch to a cast iron deflector would reduce time to temp times, they are sadly mistaken. Cast iron, which I have a house full of, is very slow to heat compared to aluminum or stainless steel.

Last edited:
Or, you can reinforce it with a piece of stainless steel as many have done and problem is fixed.

Your options, as I see it, are to live with it and enjoy the food that comes off the 700, buy a HD Smoke Daddy deflector that will not warp, buy a cast iron deflector assuming recteq ever sells them separately, or continue to be unhappy about the entire situation. But I don’t see recteq offering to replace the SS deflector that you purchased with another SS deflector that can also warp on the first time you cook with it. The reason that I say that they will not be willing to replace It is because if they do, the moment you give us an update that they did, everyone here that has a warped deflector will be calling for their replacement.
Replacement being sent. If people with current 700s decide to contact them for a warranty replacement, thats between them and RecTeq.

In the end, RecTeq KNOWS the warping is an issue, thats the reason why the 700s now come with cast iron. They are a company that not only prides themselves on standing by their product, but built their reputation on it. So it has nothing to do with "continuing to be unhappy," its simply asking a company to reaffirm what they claim to be, and to rectify the situation. The "Q" in RecTeq does now stand for "Quality," so I have zero issues asking them to maintain the quality that the stand by.

I did not ask/request the replacement to be made of any specific material, stainless or cast iron. I bought the version that offered stainless at the time, and if thats what shows up, thats perfectly fine. This isnt about trying to get a cast iron replacement. Its about wanting what was in the brochure, not "sometimes things warp"

Last edited:
Seriously? The Q in recteq stands for quit suing us because we infringed on your trademark.
Yes seriously. Ray has stated many times the name change was for legal reasons BUT says the Q stands for Quality, specifically mentioned quality of the build.

Why is this even an issue with you? I can link the numerous times they have said the Q stands for quality. I don’t care the reason, it’s just an example of them priding themselves on their quality and standing by it. And yes, they stood by their product again and sent a replacement out.

Which ideally would be done before it is warped, not after.
But you don't know you need to do it until it warps.
I've seen thicker stainless plates bolted on - anyone weld or braze on some reinforcements?
I think a couple small L shape pieces would add plenty rigidity.

Yes seriously. Ray has stated many times the name change was for legal reasons BUT says the Q stands for Quality, specifically mentioned quality of the build.

Why is this even an issue with you? I can link the numerous times they have said the Q stands for quality. I don’t care the reason, it’s just an example of them priding themselves on their quality and standing by it. And yes, they stood by their product again and sent a replacement out.
It’s not an issue with me, I could care less. But two days ago you were throwing out phrases like ‘The ball is in your court’ as you rant against recteq quality and policy and now you appear to be their biggest fanboi, for quality and policy, when you might get as replacement the same deflector that you have ranted about! The ‘quality’ hasn’t changed-just your perception! Good luck with that!

Last edited:
I've seen thicker stainless plates bolted on - anyone weld or braze on some reinforcements?
True. There are few options available once the metal has warped. I believe someone here has posted how they dealt with just that, but the clamping to square and welding is beyond the capability of most of us. Which is why I, as someone with a warped deflector, will ask why does it matter if it’s warped if it isn’t pushing up the drip pan?

It’s not an issue with me, I could care less. But two days ago you were throwing out phrases like ‘The ball is in your court’ as you rant against recteq quality and policy and now you appear to be their biggest fanboi, for quality and policy, when you might get as replacement the same deflector that you have ranted about! The ‘quality’ hasn’t changed-just your perception! Good luck with that!
Happy grilling Greg! 🤣

BTW, before founding Rec Tec Ray Carnes worked selling used cars. I’ve met Ray and I like Ray, a lot, but it’s worth keeping things in perspective when one evaluates what the ‘Q’ in recteq stands for.

I’ve always thought this (linked below) was a better option than trying to hire someone to reinforce the OEM diffuser. Few if any, welder/fabricator worth working with will make the mods to the recteq OEM diffuser for less.

Link

I apologize to the OP as this isn’t what they wanted to hear but is there any chance you have inconsistent power? What does the app say as the temps started to fluctuate? Is your display showing your original settings for the temp? How old is your smoker?

I’ve had to replace my deflector several times. Sending a pic of the elevated drip tray was all they needed. I may be wrong but they could also see all my long (over 12 hours) cooks to confirm that it was possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back