Stampede Another Shelf and rack thread

ldawg32

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hello. I’m new to the whole smoking game. Just got an RT590 for Xmas and can wait to cook. I have prob done about 10 smokes already and realized i need that shelf and the xtra rack if I’m having a big party. Here’s my pics. It was real easy to do and we’ll worth it. Btw I see how clean everyone’s grill is and wonder why mine is so messy already. It’s only been a month. I can’t get those deep drip stains unless I go with something with grit but ain’t so that.

2ABAA0F9-34FF-4608-882E-1788642D5806.jpeg
D5D523FB-90DA-4F0D-ADA7-387C033322A8.jpeg
28C4C6E8-55A9-4E08-8D48-FDF000D007DD.jpeg

As @chadinsc said, Barkeeps best friend. I used it with those green Scotch-Brite scour pads. I also have had a lot of success with a product called Greased Lightning available at most HD and Lowes. I haven't seen that mod for inside shelf with the nut/bolt/washers as stand, pretty cool. Did you finish your wood shelf with food safe/grade oil?

Hello all. I’m sure I’ll be sticking around for a very long time. I learned a lot from here in the last few weeks. The shelf and xtra rack mod I learned from ppl in here. They are so easy but add so much function. I just lacquered the wood. I don’t intend to put meat directly on it so figured lacquer be best bet

I love the shelf idea. I'm going to attempt to make it for my 590. I know this sounds silly but is there anything special I need to know about the size of nuts and bolts?

I'm always amazed at the creativity and skill of the people on this forum and what they are able to create with tools. There's nothing I can't conquer in the kitchen, but I'm a bit lost around a tool bench. 😉

I love the shelf idea. I'm going to attempt to make it for my 590. I know this sounds silly but is there anything special I need to know about the size of nuts and bolts?

I'm always amazed at the creativity and skill of the people on this forum and what they are able to create with tools. There's nothing I can't conquer in the kitchen, but I'm a bit lost around a tool bench. 😉
For the bracket to grill, I used the existing fasteners in the leg.
For the bracket to wood, I used 3/4" stainless steel wood screws.
Just go to the hardware store, show them what you're doing and they should hook you up. Predrill the holes in the wood, just don't drill all the way through o_O

For the bracket to grill, I used the existing fasteners in the leg.
For the bracket to wood, I used 3/4" stainless steel wood screws.
Just go to the hardware store, show them what you're doing and they should hook you up. Predrill the holes in the wood, just don't drill all the way through o_O
@pungo Thanks. I am not going to try to do the wood front shelf. I have the standard RT metal one, but I do want to make the interior shelf. Sorry, I was not clear on that.

@pungo Thanks. I am not going to try to do the wood front shelf. I have the standard RT metal one, but I do want to make the interior shelf. Sorry, I was not clear on that.
I assumed front shelf, I saw the stock front shelf and it looks dinky, so I made a wood one instead.
I looked at making an interior shelf, but unless I made it slide, I didn't think it would work too well to access the food on the bottom. I ended up buying a grilla grills jerky rack. All stainless, sliding removable shelves, folds for storage, versatile usage and excellent quality. I've used it for ribs, jerky, chicken wings, veggies, fish, etc...

Pic has the center shelf removed:

IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG

For the wire rack I used 3/8 5inch carriage bolts and the nuts will be same size. Get 12 nuts and 12 washers. Don’t be afraid to get too big of washers. Also make sure all is stainless. That’s the r only metal safe too cook on.

For the wire rack I used 3/8 5inch carriage bolts and the nuts will be same size. Get 12 nuts and 12 washers. Don’t be afraid to get too big of washers. Also make sure all is stainless. That’s the r only metal safe too cook on.
Thank you so much!

If I were to make a upper rack, I think I'd use 1/4" eye bolts putting the eye at the bottom so no need for nuts/washers at the bottom, just the top. This would make it easier to slide it on the stock grate to access the food under it. There's more than one way to skin a cat....

eyb1-4-4-SS-2.jpg
🐱

If I were to make a upper rack, I think I'd use 1/4" eye bolts putting the eye at the bottom so no need for nuts/washers at the bottom, just the top. This would make it easier to slide it on the stock grate to access the food under it. There's more than one way to skin a cat....

View attachment 14410🐱
Cat is tasty if prepared properly 🐈

View attachment 14410🐱
Okay, I can't even believe I'm trying to respond but please forgive me if I am way off track. Wouldn't the eye fall through the original rack on the grill?

I assumed front shelf, I saw the stock front shelf and it looks dinky, so I made a wood one instead.
I looked at making an interior shelf, but unless I made it slide, I didn't think it would work too well to access the food on the bottom. I ended up buying a grilla grills jerky rack. All stainless, sliding removable shelves, folds for storage, versatile usage and excellent quality. I've used it for ribs, jerky, chicken wings, veggies, fish, etc...

I bought the Grilla jerky rack for my Trailblazer. Used it for first time last weekend on some burnt ends. Fits and works great. Much easier to clean than the Rectec shelf.

View attachment 14409View attachment 14408
I’m looking to get this one for my Bull as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back