Bull Another FIrst Brisket on the Bull

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I put on an 8# brisket on my Bull at 2:45 AM this morning to meet a 3 PM meal time. I used my blend rub of heavy pepper, light salt (low salt diet here), cumin, garlic powder, onion pepper, and oregano with Frank's hot sauce as sticking agent. I used Lumber Jack Mesquite blend pellets and set the temperature to 225F. I was surprised how much smoke the pellets produced. I had previously used Rec Tec Competition blend on some beef country style ribs and bone-in beef ribs and was disappointed with the result. I like a heavy smoke, and it appears that the mesquite blend is what I need. Twelve hours later (1.5 hours per pound) I took the brisket off at 198F and fork tender. It had a nice bark and great smoke ring and was very tender. Everyone thought it was really good. It was as good as any brisket that I had done on my stick burner or Weber Smokey Mountain. I was beginning to worry that a pellet grill might not meet my taste requirements, but today's cook convinced me otherwise.

Glad to hear that about Lumberjack pellets. I didnt get enough smoke the other day on my 4th of July baked beans using RT competition pellets, and I baked them at 245 for 3.5 hours. I'm trying some Lumberjack.

Glad to hear that about Lumberjack pellets. I didnt get enough smoke the other day on my 4th of July baked beans using RT competition pellets, and I baked them at 245 for 3.5 hours. I'm trying some Lumberjack.
245 degrees is pretty much at the top end of any pellets producing smoke flavor.

I added beans to my first ribs cook on my 700, and they came out GREAT!!! This time all I did was match the temp that I'd used with the ribs from that last time, expecting the same results...and had no where near the same smoke flavor. In fact, I couldn't taste smoke. Very odd.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back