Bull Another Bull interior light lens casualty.

Master Blaster

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'd like to say first of all that I really like the interior light in my RT-700. I may been in the minority here but where I have my Bull set up it to use the light sure is handy to have for me personally.

I absolutely love to spritz my meat to keep it moist and add a touch of flavor. After reading wfcook's horrific lens shattering experience that showered glass shards on his brisket I figured that I'd try learn from that. (I agree with others that mentioned Rec Tec owes you a brisket!).

I grabbed a large piece of foil and tried to use it to shield the lens from my rogue spritzing habits over the next 12 hours, spritzing every hour. Somewhere along the way I must have hit the lens because later during cleaning I noticed a vertical, internal crack top to bottom in the lens. The crack didn't surface on the exterior part of the lense where I could feel it. Which, was good.

Crap.....oh well. Called Rec Tec customer service to buy a couple of new lenses, one for a spare. James told me that's covered under my warranty.....awesome! Not only did he say he'd send me a new one but he threw in an extra lense for a spare! Is that a huge deal? No, but it's more than he had to do and I think that's pretty cool. I've ran into a few situations where I had to deal with customer service and it's been exceptional in my experience. Stuff happens and they made it right, can't ask for anything more than that!

I'm not giving up spritzing in the Bull just yet.....I'm gonna try holding a tinfoil cup over the light assembly that completely covers the entire thing while spritzing. That might work, anyone have anything else to add? (other than taking the light assembly completely off?) :)

I would personally think it would be a PITA trying to keep clean so it would serve its purpose.

Its the small things they do i see makes all the difference. (y)

I was just thinking about removing mine. I don't like that it gets coated in smoke/oil and I like the light from the front looking in. It's difficult to see the true color with the light from the back. I use a clamp on type light.

I give my lense a squirt and wipe with that citrus type cleaner. Mostly wipes off the buildup quickly.

Last edited:
Recieved my warranty replacement lense and a spare today from RT at no charge. Pulled the old one out quickly and popped the new one in. Clean break, no glass shards. I know a lotta folks don't like/want/need the light and or think it's poorly designed. No point in beating that subject up anymore that's definitely been done enough in this thread for sure. I like mine, that's all that matters to me. Here's the important part that can be taken away from this situation. My Bull is very new, my light cracked (probably from my own fault) I called RT and they made it right for me WITHOUT hesitation and I couldn't be happier.

Attachments

• 20200518_182940.jpg
    20200518_182940.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 135
  • 20200518_183025.jpg
    20200518_183025.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 750
Recieved my warranty replacement lense and a spare today from RT at no charge. Pulled the old one out quickly and popped the new one in. Clean break, no glass shards. I know a lotta folks don't like/want/need the light and or think it's poorly designed. No point in beating that subject up anymore that's definitely been done enough in this thread for sure. I like mine, that's all that matters to me. Here's the important part that can be taken away from this situation. My Bull is very new, my light cracked (probably from my own fault) I called RT and they made it right for me WITHOUT hesitation and I couldn't be happier.
I like the light too.

Stumbled upon this thread after my light cover falling out and breaking last night!

Called Rec Teq HQ this morning (Sunday) and left a message.

Anyone tried smoking/cooking without the glass light cover?
Wasn't sure if the actual light bulb/light housing could handle high heat?

Thanks in advance!

I'd like to say first of all that I really like the interior light in my RT-700. I may been in the minority here but where I have my Bull set up it to use the light sure is handy to have for me personally.

I absolutely love to spritz my meat to keep it moist and add a touch of flavor. After reading wfcook's horrific lens shattering experience that showered glass shards on his brisket I figured that I'd try learn from that. (I agree with others that mentioned Rec Tec owes you a brisket!).

I grabbed a large piece of foil and tried to use it to shield the lens from my rogue spritzing habits over the next 12 hours, spritzing every hour. Somewhere along the way I must have hit the lens because later during cleaning I noticed a vertical, internal crack top to bottom in the lens. The crack didn't surface on the exterior part of the lense where I could feel it. Which, was good.

Crap.....oh well. Called Rec Tec customer service to buy a couple of new lenses, one for a spare. James told me that's covered under my warranty.....awesome! Not only did he say he'd send me a new one but he threw in an extra lense for a spare! Is that a huge deal? No, but it's more than he had to do and I think that's pretty cool. I've ran into a few situations where I had to deal with customer service and it's been exceptional in my experience. Stuff happens and they made it right, can't ask for anything more than that!

I'm not giving up spritzing in the Bull just yet.....I'm gonna try holding a tinfoil cup over the light assembly that completely covers the entire thing while spritzing. That might work, anyone have anything else to add? (other than taking the light assembly completely off?) :)
Their service is the best!
How does everyone get it clean?
Mine is pretty dark!

Interesting Thread
We just ordered our RT-700 today, but I'm reading as much as I can, beforehand
We have two Patio Lights, one on either side of where our old Stick Burner now sits, and they have always provided more than adequate lighting
SO .... given what I've read here, I may just remove the Fixture all together, before I even assemble the Grill ;)

Removing the light while the grill is new might not be a bad idea if you are planning on using the accessory shelf. The light keeps the shelf from sliding all the way back, like is possible on the Stampede. I’m thinking about pulling mine out, but it sure would be a lot easier if it were minty clean. You will need a plug for the hole, and from what I understand a 1“ SS plug from a home improvement store works perfectly.

Removing the light while the grill is new might not be a bad idea if you are planning on using the accessory shelf. The light keeps the shelf from sliding all the way back, like is possible on the Stampede. I’m thinking about pulling mine out, but it sure would be a lot easier if it were minty clean. You will need a plug for the hole, and from what I understand a 1“ SS plug from a home improvement store works perfectly.
You talking about the ones used for jerky? Those seem like the perfect idea. I saw some guy selling a shelf you have to drill holes to mount. Not a fan of drilling into my stainless steel bull!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back