Stampede Angle of Drip Pan/Tray

Imshasta

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi, I just received my new RT590 and love it. I smoked a chuck roast on Sunday as practice for a brisket and it came out very good. I have a question about the incline of the drip pan. Mine doesn't have much of an incline and I wonder if we have installed it incorrectly? There is a slight incline but barely discernable.

I have the Bull but would think they are similar.. there is certainly some angle on mine.

Look at this @ time 2:51 after he puts the pan in. You can see the rear side shows the angle you should see also. Maybe you are just not catching the pan in the right slots if it looks different.

Hi, I just received my new RT590 and love it. I smoked a chuck roast on Sunday as practice for a brisket and it came out very good. I have a question about the incline of the drip pan. Mine doesn't have much of an incline and I wonder if we have installed it incorrectly? There is a slight incline but barely discernable.
So, I had my deflector installed the wrong way for about 8 months until I actually read the manual again.o_O
I wasn't having any issues, but just was going through the pages and saw the drawing of how it was supposed to go in. I was thinking that obviously, the higher end was opposite of the drip cup. Obviously, I was wrong.

The only thing I noticed from putting it in correctly was that I no longer had grease dripping from the right side. I think with it installed incorrectly, as I had it, it made a gap between the bottom edge of the pan and the trough it is supposed to drain into.

Heh, owners manuals, who needs then, right? 🍻

So, I had my deflector installed the wrong way for about 8 months until I actually read the manual again.o_O
I wasn't having any issues, but just was going through the pages and saw the drawing of how it was supposed to go in. I was thinking that obviously, the higher end was opposite of the drip cup. Obviously, I was wrong.

The only thing I noticed from putting it in correctly was that I no longer had grease dripping from the right side. I think with it installed incorrectly, as I had it, it made a gap between the bottom edge of the pan and the trough it is supposed to drain into.

RTFM 🤔

I have the Bull but would think they are similar.. there is certainly some angle on mine.

Look at this @ time 2:51 after he puts the pan in. You can see the rear side shows the angle you should see also. Maybe you are just not catching the pan in the right slots if it looks different.

Thank you so much. Mine definitely doesn't have that angle : )

Haha, I'll have to check that out. Mine didn't come with a manual and my husband didn't want to go online to read it, so he just put it together without it. Hopefully it is as simple as turning it around : )

The drip pan installed correctly does not have much of a decline angle. If you keep it foiled, the uneven surface makes it drain even less. The drippings usually dry up before they can drain into the bucket. It will drain better if not foiled, but then you have to keep it scraped every now and then. A good greasy oily cook will drain ok, but still leave a lot of debris on the drip pan. You can call it a design compromise (or fault if you prefer), but I see it as no problem. I have never had a grease fire on the pan, even no real flare ups. On the other hand, I have had the grease bucket go for months without filling up. Just remember, the longer lip goes into the drain trough, or you will have grease leak into the bottom. I have tried cooks both with and without foil. I think foil is better.

Thank you for the above suggestions and video. After watching it, I realized we had the drip pan/tray in backwards, so I turned it around and now it is at the appropriate angle!!

There you go!

I have my grill nice and level, I agree, with the drip tray installed properly it barley has enough angle to drain. If it’s a pork belly it will eventually get enough fat to find its way out. But like chicken thighs, it will just puddle up.

I have my grill nice and level, I agree, with the drip tray installed properly it barley has enough angle to drain. If it’s a pork belly it will eventually get enough fat to find its way out. But like chicken thighs, it will just puddle up.
Are you using foil on the drip pan?

I thought the same thing. I do get grease fires as a result

Make sure you're grill is on a level surface to start; some folks find they need to raise up the left side (put board/blocks under the wheels)

Check that the drip pan is properly installed. The side with the notch goes toward the drain. Also verify the left side is on top of the bracket and not testing up against it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back