Amaz-n Tube placement

ken g

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
I bought the expandable 7" tube with intent to increase the smoke flavor on my cooks. I placed it on the cook grate next to the door on my Stampede and smoked a rack of baby backs. I could detect no increase in smoke flavor using Lumberjack Hickory pellets in tube and grill. So my question is where do you guys who use the tubes, place them in the smoker?

I bought B&B Hickory pellets and their Hickory chips. I mix the two together in my tube. Light the fill with a torch & put the tube beside the meat. I use the Ultimate blend in the hopper. I have also used B&B Mesquite pellets and chips the same way. I get great smoke flavor this way. Maybe make sure your vents are down wind?

Here is the tube in action.
20200301_132823.jpg

I bought B&B Hickory pellets and their Hickory chips. I mix the two together in my tube. Light the fill with a torch & put the tube beside the meat. I use the Ultimate blend in the hopper. I have also used B&B Mesquite pellets and chips the same way. I get great smoke flavor this way. Maybe make sure your vents are down wind?
What kind of torch do you use? How long do you expose them to the flame?

Also, a full 12" tube will smoke 8 hours. So put in less for shorter cooks ??
Mine usually lasts 3hrs. (12") Cold smoking it says up to 4hrs. I've read studies that say 3 hours is the maximum amount of time that meat will absorb smoke. I haven't tested that, but it was the data conclusion.

Mine usually lasts 3hrs. (12") Cold smoking it says up to 4hrs. I've read studies that say 3 hours is the maximum amount of time that meat will absorb smoke. I haven't tested that, but it was the data conclusion.
I guess the time varies depending on several factors. But I learned a long time ago that after about an hour or so the meat is done absorbing the smoke. After that, wrap up in foil and finish it in the oven at a steady low temp 225-250. That was when I would smoke a turkey at Thanksgiving. Now? I'm smoking it for at least a couple of hours and then wrap it up for the oven especially if it is cold. If it's nice out? Full go on the grill!

I have a RT700 Bull and the 12" Amaze-N. I place it far left with lit end to the front. I noticed a difference the first time I used it and use it often.
Could be other factors like meat temp, cooking temp, air flow... ?
Quick question. I bought the tube and plan to use it tomorrow. How do I light it. With a torch? How much. Thanks.

Quick question. I bought the tube and plan to use it tomorrow. How do I light it. With a torch? How much. Thanks.
@Gotbbq Yes that's the best way...get it good and red hot. Flaming and let it burn for awhile maybe 10-15 minutes..I always make mine flame back up until I'm ready to use it
Then just blow the flame out, and set it down easy.
Goodluck ! Post pics !

@Gotbbq Yes that's the best way...get it good and red hot. Flaming and let it burn for awhile maybe 10-15 minutes..I always make mine flame back up until I'm ready to use it
Then just blow the flame out, and set it down easy.
Goodluck ! Post pics !
Thanks. I’m going for it.

Torch is very effective, and what I use. I've also seen a video of using a heat gun with the tray, not sure if that would work in the tube. A-maze-n also sells an alcohol gel starter.
I have a good torch, that’s whT I am planning on using. Thanks

I have found that I like the hexagonal tube ones that are readily available on amazon better than the a-maze-n tubes. The shape makes them more stable upright and less likely to tip over when you're trying to light them. They're cheaper and seem to function just as well from the standpoint of making smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back