Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
I have never seen anyone post this hack before for the small, or large, interior shelf, so I thought I’d throw this out there. When I bought my Bull package last year, it included a large interior shelf. Now I’ve used it a couple of times for large cooks, but normally I don’t need the extra space. However, one day when I was cooking with a grill mat with the contents on the mat flopping all over the place, and the shelf was just leaning against the Bull, I had an idea. What if I were to put the grill mat on the shelf and place that on the Bull? Worked great, but then I thought what if I turned the shelf over?

It worked so well that I ordered a small shelf. And the small shelf has worked so well that I recently ordered a second one. I am also now using these grill mats, come 5 to a pack:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TX2FC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trim a little off the long side with scissors and two fit end to end in the large shelf almost perfectly. Trim a little more off the long side and it fits almost perfectly in the small shelf. I fold out the legs of the shelf, and the feet make perfect lift handles.

Sorry I don’t have pictures of them in use, but I never think to do that until after it’s too late. Today for lunch I heated up pork loin leftovers from last night, topped them with two strips of bacon, and French fries for the two of us. All fit comfortably in one small shelf, and cooked on the Bullseye. I apologize for not having pics of the final product, but hopefully y’all find this idea useful.

Attachments

• 25C53852-E7E9-4D4F-8144-8BC17D68F308.jpeg
    25C53852-E7E9-4D4F-8144-8BC17D68F308.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 293
  • 00CE90F1-3128-4436-B7B6-36E2FB25DA0E.jpeg
    00CE90F1-3128-4436-B7B6-36E2FB25DA0E.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 198
Cool. That does make a nice “tray”.
If you haven’t tried smoked carrots you ought to try them on you tray. Smoke baby carrots until limber and then toss in a buttery brown sugar glaze and put back out to set the glaze. Honey also works well.

I have never seen anyone post this hack before for the small, or large, interior shelf, so I thought I’d throw this out there. When I bought my Bull package last year, it included a large interior shelf. Now I’ve used it a couple of times for large cooks, but normally I don’t need the extra space. However, one day when I was cooking with a grill mat with the contents on the mat flopping all over the place, and the shelf was just leaning against the Bull, I had an idea. What if I were to put the grill mat on the shelf and place that on the Bull? Worked great, but then I thought what if I turned the shelf over?

It worked so well that I ordered a small shelf. And the small shelf has worked so well that I recently ordered a second one. I am also now using these grill mats, come 5 to a pack:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TX2FC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trim a little off the long side with scissors and two fit end to end in the large shelf almost perfectly. Trim a little more off the long side and it fits almost perfectly in the small shelf. I fold out the legs of the shelf, and the feet make perfect lift handles.

Sorry I don’t have pictures of them in use, but I never think to do that until after it’s too late. Today for lunch I heated up pork loin leftovers from last night, topped them with two strips of bacon, and French fries for the two of us. All fit comfortably in one small shelf, and cooked on the Bullseye. I apologize for not having pics of the final product, but hopefully y’all find this idea useful.
Good ideas @Greg Jones

Back when, right after we had the ceremony to name dirt, we coined a phrase.........."necessity is the mother of invention".

Good job.

As a follow-up, here is tonight‘s meal, on the small shelf, on the Bullseye. I figured I still owed y’all pictures of the shelf in action, so here it is. I made meatloaf, a mix of 2-1 ground chuck to ground pork, 1 egg, panko bread crumbs, various seasonings, some shredded cheddar cheese, ½ white onion, and 1 red bell pepper. I cooked it at 350* until a IT of 140* along with some russet potato quarters.

At 140*, I pulled off the potatoes and added a bowel of leftover beans and pork belly from last night‘s supper. I glazed the meatloaf with a homemade glaze/bbq mix of apple cider vinegar, molasses, catsup, and Red Clay hot honey sauce. Left that in until 155* IT, let it rest while I smashed the potatoes with some butter, and called it done.

Attachments

• 6AC7B669-D66D-4C82-B7D6-1FA889992C5C.jpeg
    6AC7B669-D66D-4C82-B7D6-1FA889992C5C.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 137
  • 28204268-B245-47E9-82E9-59B01BFE03A7.jpeg
    28204268-B245-47E9-82E9-59B01BFE03A7.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 138
  • 2AE1F97C-5924-4BC0-9E67-145D7AA919AC.jpeg
    2AE1F97C-5924-4BC0-9E67-145D7AA919AC.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 148
  • 74E884C3-4063-4C7A-9A4F-9CE04B6CF74B.jpeg
    74E884C3-4063-4C7A-9A4F-9CE04B6CF74B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 132
Hack of the year. You've convinced me to buy one. I already have the grill mats, so this shelf will serve double duty, on both sides.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back