Alternative GrillGrate use

Jonathan Buffett

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I cooked the best steak I have ever cooked by reverse searing them and using GrillGrates. I smoked them in my Bull and seared them on my Camp Chef. I have a Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3 and I found that the Bull GrillGrates fit perfectly on it if you turn them 90 degrees.
I actually cooked 3 and any of them would have been my best.

Attachments

• 25D65AF8-CDC2-4252-874C-74DC5F641A0C.jpeg
    25D65AF8-CDC2-4252-874C-74DC5F641A0C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 374
  • 94D8959D-DADB-44A3-A8E2-F0A728CDB17C.jpeg
    94D8959D-DADB-44A3-A8E2-F0A728CDB17C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 192
I cooked the best steak I have ever cooked by reverse searing them and using GrillGrates. I smoked them in my Bull and seared them on my Camp Chef. I have a Camp Chef Big Gas Grill 3 and I found that the Bull GrillGrates fit perfectly on it if you turn them 90 degrees.
Awesome

That looks like a nice setup! Congrats on the great steaks.

Hmmm... guy says they "look" burnt when the OP says "his" best ever. Nice. I personally...emphasize personally so others can't tell me it is wrong... like that Pittsburgh or charred flavor on a medium rare steak. Nice crust, sear or "burnt" on the outside and juicy and medium rare on the inside. AWESOME!

Congrats on great steaks and the use of the grates on your camp chef. Best part of this forum is hearing how people tweak, improve, change, etc. how they attack it! Very nice! Nice looking steaks...congrats again.

Hmmm... guy says they "look" burnt when the OP says "his" best ever. Nice. I personally...emphasize personally so others can't tell me it is wrong... like that Pittsburgh or charred flavor on a medium rare steak. Nice crust, sear or "burnt" on the outside and juicy and medium rare on the inside. AWESOME!

Congrats on great steaks and the use of the grates on your camp chef. Best part of this forum is hearing how people tweak, improve, change, etc. how they attack it! Very nice! Nice looking steaks...congrats again.
Thank you

Just a thought for you Jonathan; next time flip the GGs over and go for a nearly full sear instead of the stripes. The more maillard the merrier.
This is exactly how I use my grillgrates and it works beautifully. That way you get a wonderful sear over the entire steak!

This is exactly how I use my grillgrates and it works beautifully. That way you get a wonderful sear over the entire steak!
I have been planning to try them flat side up for searing steaks. I use a cast iron skillet normally for that full sear effect. I was going for those “sexy” stripes. I actually use them flat side up more often than not. I use them that way for fish and pizza.

How do you guys clean the bottom side of the grill grates to be clean enough for the cook. They tend to collect a lot of stuff.

How do you guys clean the bottom side of the grill grates to be clean enough for the cook. They tend to collect a lot of stuff.
I usually just let them get really hot and scrape them with a grill cleaner then wipe them down. They clean up pretty easily in my experience

Definitely easier to clean while they are still warm. I use a putty knife when needed and sometimes I scrub them a copper wool. I also always spray them with a grilling spray before I use them.

I use a sink with hot water and soap. They are so seasoned that after a few minutes I can wipe them off with a rag.

Do you have any issues with dripping through the grill grates onto the ground? I use a Camp chef homebrew burner with a camp chef griddle to do the same thing but the griddle is really tough to get any kind of uniform temperature. I recently bought grill grates and hadn’t thought about trying them on my high pressure burner.

Do you have any issues with dripping through the grill grates onto the ground? I use a Camp chef homebrew burner with a camp chef griddle to do the same thing but the griddle is really tough to get any kind of uniform temperature. I recently bought grill grates and hadn’t thought about trying them on my high pressure burner.

good question: short answer is no - at least not yet.
long answer: my Camp Chef model is the big gas 3 and it has a thin metal sheet under the burners. I think it may be for wind protection. It is not for catching dripping. I would not do this for hamburgers or anything that would create excessive drippings. The steaks were mostly cooked and very little dripping occurred.
I have used a cast iron skillet to sear them off and that works really well And with out the worry of drippings.

I've never had any buildup on the flat side of my GGs. Then, again, I've never used the flat side. However, I did buy one of the Stainless Steel Grate Valley Grill Brush (https://www.grillgrate.com/products/the-stainless-steel-grate-valley-grill-brush/). It works really well on the ridged side. The wires fit over a ridge and gets tot he bottom (valley) between the ridges very well. Stuff comes off easy and I usually use it after a cook. All that said, it sure does clean a lot of stuff off and it builds up at the ends/edges of the grates. I have them on a small Weber 3000 gas grill and there's not much room at the ends of the grates for the residue to drop down into the grill and into the grease pan. So I have to take them off the grill to scrape the residue into the grill and into the grease tray from there. It can be a bit messy. But I sure do like the Grill Grates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back