Alternative cold weather blanket

Papastent

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Has anyone used an alternative to the cold weather blanket offered by recteq? It seems to be perpetually out of stock, I’d love to have a back up plan before cold weather hits!

Some folks use welding blankets, which can be a lot cheaper than the RT blanket. I think I've also heard about moving blankets (ie, for furniture). Check out the Search feature for posts about this subject.

Has anyone used an alternative to the cold weather blanket offered by recteq? It seems to be perpetually out of stock, I’d love to have a back up plan before cold weather hits!
Yup, I have used on several occasions a welding blanket. Check out Amazon here, as they have a ton of options that are pretty cheap.

My only word of advice is to be sure the horns on your grill are NOT covered, else they WILL get very hot.

I wouldn't recommend using moving blankets there not fireproof and will melt or worse catch fire, get a welding blanket and wear gloves when using it to avoid the fiberglass it's made out of. If the handles get covered make sure to have a pot holder or mitt when opening the lid.

I wonder if one of the Pit Boss covers would fit, can't find any measurements for them.

I use a welder blanket from Harbor Freight. Keep in place with magnets also from Harbor Freight. Not stylish but effective.

IMG_8160.jpeg
IMG_8161.jpeg

Are the cut edges sealed with something to keep it from fraying?

I use a Tillman welder's blanket cut to fit over most of the grill and hold it on with magnets. I thought abut cutting pieces to put on the ends, but ... I'm lazy. The blanket really helps the grill hold temp in cold, windy WX and it's a boost when trying to bring the temp up to FULL as quickly as possible.

Attachments

• Cvr_F.jpg
    Cvr_F.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Cvr_R.jpg
    Cvr_R.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 292

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back