Alternative Brisket seasoning

Smoke'n Hot

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey Pelletheads,
I have done 4 briskets now and I have some friends coming to the mountains and they asked if I could smoke them some brisket. I said sure. Brisket is getting harder to get here in the Smokies of NC. I ended up getting 2 7 pounder flats ..I need to feed about 15 people.

I use the sacred mixture of black pepper and coarse ground salt. I actually buse 4 Rivers Brisket Rub which also adds garlic . I like it a lot and the bark it helps form is yummy.

I love southwest seasoned food and I love creole and Cajun flavors. I was thinking of adding some creole spice to the salt and pepper rub of one of the briskets. is this sacreligious in the smoke bbq world? I am curious if others like tweak their cook with some extra flavor on their rubs especially for brisket ? Thanks .

I'm constantly experimenting. I prefer a spicier flavor so I will throw some Tony's or Dat's seasoning on it. My last brisket I tried the Meat Church rub and added their Holy Voodoo rub to it to spice it up. My favorite brisket rub is Rudy's which is a Texas BBQ chain. It has a lot of pepper in it which I like. I also like their bbq sauce because it is spicy.

I also prefer a much smokier flavor than I can get on a pellet grill so I will usually do my briskets on the wood smoker for about 10 hours and then finish it off on the pellet grill.

I like to use this Cajun seasoning a lot. I can get it at my local GFS store. I used it on a Chuck last week and several other times too. Not too high on the sodium, so the flavor has a good punch to it. Kosmos Dirty bird works well on beef too.

I'm constantly experimenting. I prefer a spicier flavor so I will throw some Tony's or Dat's seasoning on it. My last brisket I tried the Meat Church rub and added their Holy Voodoo rub to it to spice it up. My favorite brisket rub is Rudy's which is a Texas BBQ chain. It has a lot of pepper in it which I like. I also like their bbq sauce because it is spicy.

I also prefer a much smokier flavor than I can get on a pellet grill so I will usually do my briskets on the wood smoker for about 10 hours and then finish it off on the pellet grill.

I add a smoke tube to the cook and I get really great results with this method.

I add a smoke tube to the cook and I get really great results with this method.
I've tried that a few times, still not enough smoke flavor for me. I usually give my leftovers to some of my coworkers and they all commented that the smoke flavor wasn't as good as when I do it on my stick smoker.

I have a smoke tube and frankly I cannot tell much difference when I use it. Maybe my taste buds are in malfunction mode.

Try mixing wood chips in with pellets in the smoke tube. It gives mine a stronger smoke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back