Alternating Pellets Between Cooks

mprzybylski

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello,
Just ordered my new Bull and it got me to wondering: How do you go about switching out your pellets for when you want different flavors for different meats? Since the hopper is 40 lbs worth, whats the easiest way to empty it and put in a different pellet for the next cook?

Thanks.

Hello,
Just ordered my new Bull and it got me to wondering: How do you go about switching out your pellets for when you want different flavors for different meats? Since the hopper is 40 lbs worth, whats the easiest way to empty it and put in a different pellet for the next cook?

Thanks.
Use a dedicated shop vac to suck the old pellets out. Here is a shop vac head that is a good price. Just add it to one of their buckets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-...ible-with-5-Gal-Homer-Bucket-BH0100/202017218

Last edited:
If you are going to switch back and forth a lot on your pellets, you will also find it a lot easier when you don’t fill up that 40# hopper.

@mprzybylski This would be the best and easiest answer. Don't dump 40 pounds of pellets if you know you're only going to use that flavor for 1 or 2 cooks.

The other alternative would be a shop vac.

Yep, that makes sense. I'm not sure how often i'll actually be switching between flavors, but just planning ahead i suppose.

Yep, that makes sense. I'm not sure how often i'll actually be switching between flavors, but just planning ahead i suppose.
I would suggest putting about 20 pounds in the hopper if you're first starting out. This will do a couple things for you:

1. 20 pounds should last you several cooks, which you'll then get a feeling for how much the recteq will use on average.

2. Will give you several cooks to really test out that flavor.

Once you get a feeling for that, then start playing around with other things like trying different flavors and such. But that's just my opinion.

I would suggest putting about 20 pounds in the hopper if you're first starting out. This will do a couple things for you:

1. 20 pounds should last you several cooks, which you'll then get a feeling for how much the recteq will use on average.

2. Will give you several cooks to really test out that flavor.

Once you get a feeling for that, then start playing around with other things like trying different flavors and such. But that's just my opinion.

Totally makes sense and I'll do exactly that, really appreciate the input. My first pellet grill so I'm super excited but there is a lot to learn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back