Already rusting after only 3 weeks :-(

Thanks all for the recommendations and suggestions. I just got off the phone with rec tec support. They too were surprised at the speed of rusting and are sending out a new ring because that was the worst of the spots. They recommended using Cameo instead of barkeeper's friend - they said it works better and is less abrasive. They also recommended generally *not* covering it, and only covering it when it rains. They made the same comment others have made here about water condensing on the inside of the cover and helping to promote rust. We then had a conversation about the fact that we often have a pretty heavy dew here due to the ocean air, and whether that changed the calculus on whether or not to use the cover. It mostly boiled down to experiment and see what seems to work best. And they said to keep them apprised on the situation, whether using the Cameo cleans things up properly and helps keep the rust at bay.

Note that the warranty explicitly excludes corrosion related issues. But it seems like they're being really stand-up and trying to do what's best regardless. So a good thumbs-up on that.

FWIW... On my previous Weber gas grill I used a 1/2 cover, it covered the cook box and controls but not the legs and such. Went 15 years with no rust, then they stopped making the 1/2 covers and I had to go with the full. At year 19 the legs were rusted through necessitating me finding a new grill, I blame the full cover. I never noticed condensation with the 1/2, but sure had it with the full.

BKF and Cameo are similar products, contain mild abrasive material for mechanical cleaning and an acid for chemical cleaning. Cameo contains sulphamic acid, BKF oxalic acid. Better performance from either is subjective.

On the stainless thing, most people don't know about the different grades, their performance, and aren't particularly interested in learning the differences. This includes, unfortunately, the "technical" assistance people at headquarters. Over the past couple years various folks have mentioned on here that they were told "officially" that the 700 was made of "all" 304 stainless. Here in Texas that might be what's known as El Toro Poo Poo (if you're into technical terminology). I don't know of a single "all" or mostly all, legitimately 304 outdoor cooker that can be bought for less than $2500, and most often higher than that.

Thanks for these updates. I have a brand new Bull too (no corrosion) but picked up a double pack of Cameo bottles on Amazon for $9. Good luck to you.

Wow, I am really surprised with he rust. I knew it want all stainless because my pellet marker magnets stick to it. Just didn't think rust so fast. I think Rec Tec's answer will be interesting. It something they have to deal with. If not happy with their answer I would call Ray or Ron, the owners. ??

Go with Barkeepers- great product

Thanks all for the recommendations and suggestions. I just got off the phone with rec tec support. They too were surprised at the speed of rusting and are sending out a new ring because that was the worst of the spots. They recommended using Cameo instead of barkeeper's friend - they said it works better and is less abrasive. They also recommended generally *not* covering it, and only covering it when it rains. They made the same comment others have made here about water condensing on the inside of the cover and helping to promote rust. We then had a conversation about the fact that we often have a pretty heavy dew here due to the ocean air, and whether that changed the calculus on whether or not to use the cover. It mostly boiled down to experiment and see what seems to work best. And they said to keep them apprised on the situation, whether using the Cameo cleans things up properly and helps keep the rust at bay.

Note that the warranty explicitly excludes corrosion related issues. But it seems like they're being really stand-up and trying to do what's best regardless. So a good thumbs-up on that.
RT recommended to only cover the Bull when it rains?? Holy hell...that’s a bad answer as far as I’m concerned.

I just received my rt700 a couple weeks ago and now you have me concerned about the supposed bomb proof quality of these grills. I was surprised how mine looked after my first use. I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if I can't get this off without causing visual damage to the stainless finish!

Attachments

• 0615201532.jpg
    0615201532.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I doubt that it's the cover for a number of reasons: 1) It hasn't rained here in several months, certainly not since I got the rectec. 2) I've never had water go through the seams of that cover, and the weber grill with which I used it previously survived almost a year before starting to rust, and survived almost 3 years before it headed off to the landfill. 3) The grill has typically been uncovered during the day because I've been using it almost every day. It's primarily covered at night. 4) The grill is underneath my deck (yeah, I know, not ideal placement, but for better protection from wind and other things, it's the best placement I have) so the sun never beats down on it.

And yes, as my handle implies, I do live near the ocean, and I'm pretty familiar with its effects on anything metal. I grew up on boats, am an avid scuba diver, and have lived in this particular location for 16 years now. And while 316 stainless is certainly better at preventing corrosion than 304, I don't think I've ever had 304 stainless rust in just a couple weeks. Even lower grade stainless has survived longer. So I'm pretty concerned, given that part of the way I justified the expense was that this one was more likely to last longer than my previous grills.

So far the bulk of the rust is on the ring, and if that was the only place, I wouldn't mind. But I've also noticed some rust on the outside of the cooking chamber. Photos below:

View attachment 5022

View attachment 5023
I have never covered a grill except in winter. You do have to protect the 590 from rain but I have found covers generally cause sweating. Moisture from humid climates tends to condense inside the cover. That plus the heat promotes rust. I recommend just hosing it off from time to time.
However, your handle should not rust. You might want to have Rec Tec replace it.

I wipe all my stainless down with oil every time I clean It and usually every time I bbq also. Mineral oil is good but sometimes I get lazy and just spray it with Pam

I was really hoping this grill (rt-700) would last longer than most. But I just got it on June 1 and it's already rusting. :-(

I'm trying to cover it as best I can, but the covers were out of stock when I bought it (and still are). I'm using an old weber cover, but it doesn't completely cover it. Does anyone have any idea when the covers will be back in stock?

I've learned that once something starts rusting, it's all downhill and there's not much you can do to stop it - but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd appreciate it.
Be of good cheer, I've had my 680 for over 5 years and yes there is rust but nothing to harm my cooks. Go check your car, rust is there also. The grill cover does not keep it dry the rain soaks through anyway. I use my cover to keep the sun fade off. My 680 is on my uncovered deck now for over 5 years and still good to go. Don't confuse Weber gauge to Rectyec gauge steel. Much thicker last longer. I grew up in Savannah Ga so I know how bad the salt air is, it's like ants at a picnic they are always there. Keep on smokin' my friend!

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I doubt that it's the cover for a number of reasons: 1) It hasn't rained here in several months, certainly not since I got the rectec. 2) I've never had water go through the seams of that cover, and the weber grill with which I used it previously survived almost a year before starting to rust, and survived almost 3 years before it headed off to the landfill. 3) The grill has typically been uncovered during the day because I've been using it almost every day. It's primarily covered at night. 4) The grill is underneath my deck (yeah, I know, not ideal placement, but for better protection from wind and other things, it's the best placement I have) so the sun never beats down on it.

And yes, as my handle implies, I do live near the ocean, and I'm pretty familiar with its effects on anything metal. I grew up on boats, am an avid scuba diver, and have lived in this particular location for 16 years now. And while 316 stainless is certainly better at preventing corrosion than 304, I don't think I've ever had 304 stainless rust in just a couple weeks. Even lower grade stainless has survived longer. So I'm pretty concerned, given that part of the way I justified the expense was that this one was more likely to last longer than my previous grills.

So far the bulk of the rust is on the ring, and if that was the only place, I wouldn't mind. But I've also noticed some rust on the outside of the cooking chamber. Photos below:

View attachment 5022

View attachment 5023
My ring is rusting fast.
I guess I’ll put the folding shelf on now. The only reason I haven’t yes is I didn’t want to hide the ring.
Now I do- funny how that goes.
Still blows away a SMOKE AND FIRE ?. Grill.

Yeah, I just sent a message to them about 10min ago. :) Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

I also ordered some of the barkeeper's friend and the twinkle.

Hi, Nautiboy (it actually hurt me to type that name, maybe the female smokers like it... but...),
I live a few few thousand feet from salt water, and I have built and been cooking on my bull for months and have not seen any problem, or even the beginning of a problem, like you have pictured. I have also never coated or added any grease to my smoker or accessories. If I was required to do that, I would have never bought this smoker - there are literally hundreds of smokers that don't require this. One of the most expensive on the market should not required extra attention.
After looking at your pictures, I would immediately contact RecTec, show them the pics, and ask for a replacement. Something has gone wrong with your smoker. Sitting on the cusp of the Puget Sound has not created problems, I did get the cover, but there is no way you are closer to salt than I am unless you are on the beach. I will also tell you that I task my son with placing the cover on the grill after we eat (so the smoker has had a chance to cool), he might do it 1/4 of the time (even though he goes out and acts like he does it every time I tell him), and I find out days later because the back yard isn't my stomping ground.
I would say there is something wrong with the steel in your smoker itself. If I paid this kind of money and my smoker looked like that, I would be screaming bloody murder. I should never have to over treat stainless steel, that is why it is called stainless steel!
Contact RecTec. So far, they have seemed to be incredibly helpful and customer driven. I expect they will immediately realize there is something wrong with this as soon as they look at the pictures.
Good luck, and I can't wait to hear how RecTec fixed this and your next cook was incredible!

Nautiboy - I have a brand new Rec-Tec cover for the Bull that I decided I won't use. I took it out of the packaging and it sat on my counter for months never even put on.

My Bull resides in my garage so other than some dust I don't have any issues with the elements.

You're welcome to it for $50 plus shipping - just let me know.

I’ve posted this before in other threads but on your painted section spray on a rust encapsulation to prevent it from spreading. I usually use the one in the attached picture

Attachments

• 468AE523-5D44-43B0-B425-CA240F8706C2.jpeg
    468AE523-5D44-43B0-B425-CA240F8706C2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
Hi, Nautiboy (it actually hurt me to type that name, maybe the female smokers like it... but...),

Yeah .... I thought I was really clever when I came up with it 22 years ago. Now, not quite so much - but I've been using it so long, and it's generally unique enough that it's often available when setting up a new username, so I continue to use it. Sorry ...

After looking at your pictures, I would immediately contact RecTec, show them the pics, and ask for a replacement.

I did contact them - more details on that are earlier in this thread. Generally they were also surprised and while corrosion is specifically excluded in the warranty, they seem pretty willing to make sure I'm taken care of, but not a complete replacement.

but there is no way you are closer to salt than I am unless you are on the beach.

I am actually closer .... it's about 250' to the start of the surf line. I do have some level of protection - there's a sea wall about 150' in front of my house, I have a 10' stucco wall enclosing my backyard, and I have the grill tucked in under my deck and in a pretty protected "nook", but it is still an admittedly tough environment. To give some idea of the area, I have 3 webcams on my roof that I stream 24/7: http://pacificaview.net/livecam/index.php

So I'm probably in one of the toughest areas you can imagine for corrosion, short of being directly on a boat. As mentioned in my first post, that's a large part of the reason I went with the rec tec, as it seemed like it had a better chance than most at surviving.

hmmmmm............ if they stated not good idea to use a cover.... then why sell them......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back