Bull Already rusting after only 3 weeks :-(

Its called stainless for a reason. We have a house on the coast of SC and the salt air and humidity eats Everything. Can you store it in a controlled environment when not using..?

Its called stainless for a reason. We have a house on the coast of SC and the salt air and humidity eats Everything. Can you store it in a controlled environment when not using..?

I'm trying really hard not to respond with a snarky response. I'll just assume you didn't read the rest of the thread and only read the original post. If you read through the thread, particularly this post from me:

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/already-rusting-after-only-3-weeks.1855/post-19225

You'll see I'm pretty familiar with salt air, humidity and their effects on various types of metals including different grades of stainless. You'll also see in a later post that it was pointed out that most of the grill is 430 stainless, not 304 stainless (as I had thought) which helps explain things a bit.

And indeed, if there was any location more controlled/protected where I could store it, I would. But I don't.

I'm actually a little afraid to see what it looks like now. I haven't been able to use it for a while (we were under spare-the-air days for quite a long time due to the fires), and I haven't peaked under the cover for a while. That's hopefully going to be this weekend's task. I was also going to install the folding shelf, which finally came into stock a couple weeks ago.

I'm really hoping to try doing the Thanksgiving Turkey on the grill this year. I've been wanting to try that for a number of years, but have never had a grill large enough.

For those that say that stainless steel should not rust, unfortunately that is not true. There are various grades of SS, some of which are more resistant to rust and corrosion, and others which are less resistant. Each grade is made with a specific purpose in mind, and like everything else there are trade offs. Strength, corrosion resistance, workability, weldability, and of course price, etc., vary with the specific grades. And it is stain “less” steel, not stain “proof” steel. The 304 will rust eventually, but not as fast as the 430. Also, just because a magnet will stick to it does not mean it isn’t stainless steel. Many grades of SS can be mildly magnetic, even 304 and 316 occasionally.
Now back on track...OP, please let us know how the grill looks when you uncover it. I’m hoping for the best.

I was debating whether I need a cover or not and this thread came at the right time. No cover for me. I am in Phoenix, AZ so rust is usually not an issues anyways. My Fire Magic grill has been sitting outside for 2 years now and never cleaned. When I rarely do wash it off, it looks as new as the first day I got it. But I believe it is 304 stainless everywhere.

As my house is on the ocean and a lot of things are stainless steel - I like to point out to people it is stain LESS steel - not stain NEVER steel.
They make stain never steel - but no one outside of the military can afford it - even commercial kitchens etc and I am not even sure how viable it is for eating surfaces
300 series is def better than 400 and 300 is pretty much not magnetic - 400 is lightly magnetic (That is a generalization you can use to test which parts of your grill are what....

As my house is on the ocean and a lot of things are stainless steel - I like to point out to people it is stain LESS steel - not stain NEVER steel.
They make stain never steel - but no one outside of the military can afford it - even commercial kitchens etc and I am not even sure how viable it is for eating surfaces
300 series is def better than 400 and 300 is pretty much not magnetic - 400 is lightly magnetic (That is a generalization you can use to test which parts of your grill are what....
While you are obviously right about SS still rusting, I completely understand people thinking it is never supposed to rust based on the name. I don't think the word Stainless is derived the same way you imply. I read Stainless just the saw way I would read you calling a dog legless. A dog with no legs. I wouldn't call a 3 legged dog legLESS. Before getting it's name in the 1900s, many people literally called it "unstainable steel" and "non-rusting steel".

If you were just saying what you said as a jingle to help people remember, then you can ignore my slightly more serious analysis haha.

My ring is rusting fast.
I guess I’ll put the folding shelf on now. The only reason I haven’t yes is I didn’t want to hide the ring.
Now I do- funny how that goes.
Still blows away a SMOKE AND FIRE ?. Grill.
I just received my RT700 last week and am alarmed by this post. I have a Member's Mark gas grill that I purchased in 2004 that is all stainless on the exterior. That grill has been covered some years, uncovered for years at a time, and always on an uncovered deck exposed to all that Michigan weather has to offer. The stainless steel has never rusted or corroded and looks like the day I bought it 17 years ago. Given the price, I was hopeful the recteq would be better quality than a Sam's Club grill. I sure hope that this issue is related to the proximity to the sea....not an issue in Michigan...and not indicative of inferior materials. Fingers crossed.

SS.PNG

Both 304 and 316 are corrosion resistant but there is still an iron content to them both, hence the "steel" in the name and the corrosion will not be fast, it will still rust a bit. Just my $.02

Mine has a few tiny rust spots showing up on top of the control panel flat surface area & a few on the barrel seams. I pretreated the entire surface with Frog Lube CLP ... did the 1 hour burn in with it on then wiped it all off when it cooled. This is the BEST rust preventative I've ever used & it's NOT holding off all of the rust on my Bull. I suspect the flat area of the control panel not getting hot like the rest of the Bull had something to do with it. because the surface area needs to be real warm to open the pores of the metal to soak in properly.
I do live in a high humidity area but nothing salty. I keep polishing off the spots & re-applying the treatment when a spot pops up. I'm having "other problems" too & will make that a different post.

I have been on the fence between grilla and rectec for a couple weeks now. Was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a bull when I find this thread. Quality stainless rusting this fast alarming. I was looking at the rectec as an investment that will last a very long time (10+ years) now I’m not so confident. I live on the north side of Houston Texas. Very humid climate. I’ve had a grill completely rust out on me in 1 year before. Would love to hear from more people about how their bull is holding up rust or not. Especially if you live in Houston

I have been on the fence between grilla and rectec for a couple weeks now. Was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a bull when I find this thread. Quality stainless rusting this fast alarming. I was looking at the rectec as an investment that will last a very long time (10+ years) now I’m not so confident. I live on the north side of Houston Texas. Very humid climate. I’ve had a grill completely rust out on me in 1 year before. Would love to hear from more people about how their bull is holding up rust or not. Especially if you live in Houston
I don't have a direct experience based answer to your question, but would caution you to compare materials identified by the manufacturer rather than opinions of owners shaded by their buying choice/loyalty/validation. As an example; powder coated, 16ga steel, from mfr. A vs B, will likely perform very similarly based on the environment, which you've stated is of concern to you. Online feedback from owners isn't always as reliable as we wish it were.

That said, if you're close to making a choice and the 700 is it, you might want to move on a lightly used one advertised on Facebook Marketplace in Austin. The ad has been up for 6 days with an ask of $999. It's on a comp cart with cover, I think the seller claims it's a few months old. Without counting any promo pricing that's an $1800ish new package.

I have several friends that live in the Houston, Texas and they have had their RT-700 for years with zero issues.
But things do happen and I’m sure you will make the best decision for you.

View attachment 8933
Both 304 and 316 are corrosion resistant but there is still an iron content to them both, hence the "steel" in the name and the corrosion will not be fast, it will still rust a bit. Just my $.02
As someone who deals in an industry where we argue over the last 0.01% of iron or other ingredients to the metal (Stainless varieties, Monel, Inconel etc) I can say unequivocobly that just because some chinese stamp it as 316 or 304, when you analyze it, it may not even be close. Close by normal people standard - by our standard we don't even waste time testing. Just because it says 316 or 304, until you do some testing, you have no idea what you are getting.

My previous comments were generalizations - not meant to get too much into metallurgy.

Everyone has a story and an opinion. I'm just happy that my experience with Recteq has been way more than I every expected. I'm a very senior citizen and have many grills, charcoal, gas, Komodo style and now my RT-700. Will buy another one when and if this one ever needs replaced in my lifetime.

I don't come on here often. However, I was looking for info about a Nuke Argentine grill to see what people have to say about the thing rusting. Anyway, this thread came up somewhow and I just wanted to drop a note about RecTecs and rust.

I've had a RT-340 now for over a year. I live right across the street from the beach in FL. This thing has avoided rust perfectly. I do keep it covered most of the time. I do get some surface spots on the brushed shiny metal but that is normal for stainless grills. The black parts never get any. I use barkeepers friend to clean it up. Same thing I use on my boat metal finishes to get rid of spots too. Works perfectly, even on my gel coat. :)

Rust was a big concern for me and I wrote RecTec before buying. I told them every single grill or smoker I get from the local hardware store or wally world etc rusts out in a few months. I asked them if this thing will hold up. They said yes and gave me their word. They lived up to it. It's a rare thing. Now I hope they can make an Argentine style grill like the Nuke Delta. I'd buy it from them in a heartbeat if it is sub $1500 bucks.

Take note, RecTec!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back