Bull Already rusting after only 3 weeks :-(

nautiboy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I was really hoping this grill (rt-700) would last longer than most. But I just got it on June 1 and it's already rusting. :-(

I'm trying to cover it as best I can, but the covers were out of stock when I bought it (and still are). I'm using an old weber cover, but it doesn't completely cover it. Does anyone have any idea when the covers will be back in stock?

I've learned that once something starts rusting, it's all downhill and there's not much you can do to stop it - but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd appreciate it.

I was really hoping this grill (rt-700) would last longer than most. But I just got it on June 1 and it's already rusting. :-(

I'm trying to cover it as best I can, but the covers were out of stock when I bought it (and still are). I'm using an old weber cover, but it doesn't completely cover it. Does anyone have any idea when the covers will be back in stock?

I've learned that once something starts rusting, it's all downhill and there's not much you can do to stop it - but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'd appreciate it.
What parts of it are rusting? Can you post some pictures?? Before I covered my patio I actually got better mileage out of my gas grills uncovered vs covered. Rainwater would penetrate the stitched seams and when the sun came out it created a mini sauna. The improvised cover you are using could be the problem. Your handle, nautiboy, suggest you are near the coast. I live a quarter mile from salt water and 1/2 mile from the ocean. I give my cars and grills a bath twice a month whether the are dirty or not.

What parts of it are rusting? Can you post some pictures?? Before I covered my patio I actually got better mileage out of my gas grills uncovered vs covered. Rainwater would penetrate the stitched seams and when the sun came out it created a mini sauna. The improvised cover you are using could be the problem. Your handle, nautiboy, suggest you are near the coast. I live a quarter mile from salt water and 1/2 mile from the ocean. I give my cars and grills a bath twice a month whether the are dirty or not.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I doubt that it's the cover for a number of reasons: 1) It hasn't rained here in several months, certainly not since I got the rectec. 2) I've never had water go through the seams of that cover, and the weber grill with which I used it previously survived almost a year before starting to rust, and survived almost 3 years before it headed off to the landfill. 3) The grill has typically been uncovered during the day because I've been using it almost every day. It's primarily covered at night. 4) The grill is underneath my deck (yeah, I know, not ideal placement, but for better protection from wind and other things, it's the best placement I have) so the sun never beats down on it.

And yes, as my handle implies, I do live near the ocean, and I'm pretty familiar with its effects on anything metal. I grew up on boats, am an avid scuba diver, and have lived in this particular location for 16 years now. And while 316 stainless is certainly better at preventing corrosion than 304, I don't think I've ever had 304 stainless rust in just a couple weeks. Even lower grade stainless has survived longer. So I'm pretty concerned, given that part of the way I justified the expense was that this one was more likely to last longer than my previous grills.

So far the bulk of the rust is on the ring, and if that was the only place, I wouldn't mind. But I've also noticed some rust on the outside of the cooking chamber. Photos below:

IMG_1765.jpeg

IMG_1766.jpeg

The exteriors on these Rec Tec grills is not made out of 304 stainless steel, that's only somethings on the inside. I'm pretty sure the exterior is made out of 430 stainless steel and it will rust unless taken care of especially in a salt air environment.

The exteriors on these Rec Tec grills is not made out of 304 stainless steel, that's only somethings on the inside. I'm pretty sure the exterior is made out of 430 stainless steel and it will rust unless taken care of especially in a salt air environment.

I'm not sure I fully understand how that's possible, at least for the rust shown in the second photo. That's part of the cooking chamber, which is reported to be 304 stainless. Are you saying that they use two layers of steel for the cooking chamber, with the inside being 304 and the outside being 430? It sure doesn't seem like it's two different pieces.

Other than cleaning regularly and keeping covered, what would "taken care of" imply?

You sure that's not just bbq/meat drippings?

The ring is definitely not drippings. At first I thought the areas of the cooking chamber might be drippings, but I tried pretty hard to clean it and it didn't come off and it looks far more like the familiar staining of rust on stainless than it does drippings.

I'm not sure I fully understand how that's possible, at least for the rust shown in the second photo. That's part of the cooking chamber, which is reported to be 304 stainless. Are you saying that they use two layers of steel for the cooking chamber, with the inside being 304 and the outside being 430? It sure doesn't seem like it's two different pieces.

Other than cleaning regularly and keeping covered, what would "taken care of" imply?
Rec Tec never stated the outsides of there grills were 304 they do mention 304 stainless steel but that's only the grill grates, drip pan, fire pot and the deflector shield that sits over the fire pot. The Barrel witch a magnet will attach to is made out of stainless steel but not the 304 grade. I use a commercial stainless steel aerosol spray in between the cleanings it gets with Bar Keepers Friend and don't use a cover but the grill sits under a open covered porch had it for about 1 year and no rust issues yet but there is 50 to 60 miles of distance to the ocean air from me.

Last edited:
Rec Tec never stated the outsides of there grills were 304 they do mention 304 stainless steel but that's only the grill grates, drip pan, fire pot and the deflector shield that sits over the fire pot. I use a commercial stainless steel aerosol spray in between the cleanings it gets with Bar Keepers Friend.

OK, I guess when I was reading the specs I (incorrectly) mentally conflated fire pot with cooking chamber. I do see now as I'm re-reading it that it lists the two separately and only says stainless steel for cooking chamber and 304 stainless for fire pot. Woof - that looks like it was a pretty expensive oversight in my reading. :-( I was figuring that as long as the cooking chamber and the core components were 304, I could just replace other parts (e.g., the powder-coated parts) as they rusted out. But if the cooking chamber is going to rust out at such a fast pace, it won't be long before this one is headed to the landfill too.

OK, I guess when I was reading the specs I (incorrectly) mentally conflated fire pot with cooking chamber. I do see now as I'm re-reading it that it lists the two separately and only says stainless steel for cooking chamber and 304 stainless for fire pot. Woof - that looks like it was a pretty expensive oversight in my reading. :-( I was figuring that as long as the cooking chamber and the core components were 304, I could just replace other parts (e.g., the powder-coated parts) as they rusted out. But if the cooking chamber is going to rust out at such a fast pace, it won't be long before this one is headed to the landfill too.
The rust you have is only surface rust and this grill will not be rusting out or going to a landfill anytime soon like a normal powder coated or painted grill would be in your environment.

The rust you have is only surface rust and this grill will not be rusting out or going to a landfill anytime soon like a normal powder coated or painted grill would be in your environment.

I understand it's surface rust, but in my experience once rust starts, that's the beginning of the end and it's a losing battle. I really hope you're right about it still lasting for a while, otherwise my wife is never going to let me hear the end of it. When she found out what I was going to spend, she said I was being ridiculous and that it would just end up like all my previous grills - in a landfill in a couple years - so I should just buy a less expensive one and plan to throw it away in a few years. I insisted that the solid build and the use of 304 stainless meant it ought to give me at least 6 years, at which point the cost would become more justifiable. She was very skeptical, but I eventually talked her into it.

I use a commercial stainless steel aerosol spray in between the cleanings it gets with Bar Keepers Friend and don't use a cover but the grill sits under a open covered porch had it for about 1 year and no rust issues yet but there is 50 to 60 miles of distance to the ocean air from me.

Oh, I meant to ask - what commercial stainless steel aerosol do you use? Is it something the average Joe can buy, or do you need to be a restaurant/commercial business?

Oh, I meant to ask - what commercial stainless steel aerosol do you use? Is it something the average Joe can buy, or do you need to be a restaurant/commercial business?
I get mine from work and a can lasts a long time. I'm not sure what's else is out there but have seen other posting on here or FB of what people are using. This stuff puts a nice shine on the surfaces and cleans minor cooking build up off while providing some protection from the elements.
20200622_133710.jpg

Last edited:
I understand it's surface rust, but in my experience once rust starts, that's the beginning of the end and it's a losing battle. I really hope you're right about it still lasting for a while, otherwise my wife is never going to let me hear the end of it. When she found out what I was going to spend, she said I was being ridiculous and that it would just end up like all my previous grills - in a landfill in a couple years - so I should just buy a less expensive one and plan to throw it away in a few years. I insisted that the solid build and the use of 304 stainless meant it ought to give me at least 6 years, at which point the cost would become more justifiable. She was very skeptical, but I eventually talked her into it.

You can use an non-abrasive pad + BKF and it should should come off fine. I’d use a white 3M pad. The polished areas though will most likely be dulled/scratched, but the white is the least abrasive of their cleaning pads. You may want to treat it with something if it’s that reactive to your environment. Maybe a food-grade silicone or natural oil.

I have a lot of cast iron and tool steel for woodworking and it’s a constant battle against the environment. You just scour it off and wipe it down with a rust inhibitor.

Please report back what they say. I just got a 700 on my deck and wondering if I should be doing anything and what that should be.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I doubt that it's the cover for a number of reasons: 1) It hasn't rained here in several months, certainly not since I got the rectec. 2) I've never had water go through the seams of that cover, and the weber grill with which I used it previously survived almost a year before starting to rust, and survived almost 3 years before it headed off to the landfill. 3) The grill has typically been uncovered during the day because I've been using it almost every day. It's primarily covered at night. 4) The grill is underneath my deck (yeah, I know, not ideal placement, but for better protection from wind and other things, it's the best placement I have) so the sun never beats down on it.

And yes, as my handle implies, I do live near the ocean, and I'm pretty familiar with its effects on anything metal. I grew up on boats, am an avid scuba diver, and have lived in this particular location for 16 years now. And while 316 stainless is certainly better at preventing corrosion than 304, I don't think I've ever had 304 stainless rust in just a couple weeks. Even lower grade stainless has survived longer. So I'm pretty concerned, given that part of the way I justified the expense was that this one was more likely to last longer than my previous grills.

So far the bulk of the rust is on the ring, and if that was the only place, I wouldn't mind. But I've also noticed some rust on the outside of the cooking chamber. Photos below:

View attachment 5022

View attachment 5023
I really hate to bring this up but a lot of times you have issues like this with Chinese stainless steel. Maybe not the SS being inferior as it is being processed in an environment where ferrous metal is also being worked with. Airborne partials land on the stainless and get ground into it to rust later. Samsung had a heck of a problem with SS refrigerators a few years back. I would make RT aware of the issue but try to take care of it myself to avoid sending it back. I'll bet the ring will clean up easily with a little polish. The rust on the body will probably be more work. I doubt a white 3M pad will work without using an aggressive polish. Maybe use a grey pad with water in the direction it was originally brushed in. Wax with a quality automobile product afterward.

Try these products, I keep my grill, RT700, on a pool patio in Miami and the chlorine rusts everything. The Metal polish works great to remove the surface rust and is also great for cleaning the smoke residue and polishing the paint. Good luck.
9D7BF48D-2FF7-4FCE-B55C-B5AF89DE620D.jpeg
F6729533-671E-4947-8A85-22F4200391A8.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back