All-Weather Smoke Vents

Really looks nice @matthewstn how hard was it to apply the sealant on the vent bottom side?
Easy, what I did was apply a thick bead to the vent itself and then carefully install the vent onto the grill. I applied enough sealant so that it pressed out on the inside and outside of the vent. In a couple small spots that were applied too thin, i just took some RTV on my finger and applied in on the outside. Then I took my finger and ran it all the way around the outside of the vent to smooth it out and wipe off any excess. Came out a lot cleaner than I was expecting and went smoothly. I was nervous at first but it turned out to be a very easy process.

Easy, what I did was apply a thick bead to the vent itself and then carefully install the vent onto the grill. I applied enough sealant so that it pressed out on the inside and outside of the vent. In a couple small spots that were applied too thin, i just took some RTV on my finger and applied in on the outside. Then I took my finger and ran it all the way around the outside of the vent to smooth it out and wipe off any excess. Came out a lot cleaner than I was expecting and went smoothly. I was nervous at first but it turned out to be a very easy process.
Thanks @matthewstn. Good info

Attachments

• 20201109_154614.jpg
    20201109_154614.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
Hi folks!

I have a height question for those w/ a RT-590 and the competition cart.

If you measure from the floor, deck etc., to the top of the hinges on this rig, what do you get for a height?

I have a 45" high space that is currently housing the grill I want to get rid of and order a RT-590. I am a little nervous about ordering the competition cart as it might make the grill a RCH too high to go under the porch where I store the grill.

Specs say I have a 1/2" clearance, but I believe in the trust but verify rule.

Thanx
TD

Hi folks!

I have a height question for those w/ a RT-590 and the competition cart.

If you measure from the floor, deck etc., to the top of the hinges on this rig, what do you get for a height?

I have a 45" high space that is currently housing the grill I want to get rid of and order a RT-590. I am a little nervous about ordering the competition cart as it might make the grill a RCH too high to go under the porch where I store the grill.

Specs say I have a 1/2" clearance, but I believe in the trust but verify rule.

Thanx
TD
Not sure what this question has to do with the All-Weather Smoke Vents since they are on the back and don't effect the height, but I'll help help you out. I was making a small storage shelter so measured from the deck surface to the top of the hinge and it's ~45" with comp cart. The comp cart is a little taller than the stock cart.

I am trying out hi temp gasket for now for the smoke vents. Auto parts shop only had white gasket. I think black would be better. I may still try out Fireblack gasket.
Great idea with the chord holder and moisture bag. I'm going to do the same to my RT-340. Your grill looks great!

Does the Stampede All-Weather Smoke Vents leak smoke around the seams and stain the outside lid? Or, do they install tight enough to prevent leaking smoke? I was thinking maybe seal the seams with some high-temp caulk. Dumb idea!! Red caulk would be pretty!! LOL

https://www.rectecgrills.com/High-Temperature-Caulk?quantity=1&page=2
I think it's a great idea to seal the vents using either the red 650 degree gasket maker, after it dries you could trim the excess off with a razor blade. There are other colors out there too like the black pictured but the temperature rating only goes to 500 degrees.
I used the gray 700* automotive caulk (buy at any auto parts store). Made a good seal and no failure after 2 years.

I used the gray 700* automotive caulk (buy at any auto parts store). Made a good seal and no failure after 2 years.
Forgot to add, that they have since changed the lid so the mod is not necessary as the louvres are part of the lid.

I used a little red high temp silicone on mine. It isn't very noticeable as long as you don't get too thick with it. Once the smoke, ash, and grease get flying you'll never really see any of it. I like how the vent covers finish off the 590.
How long did this last?

How long did this last?
I installed these a few years ago using some grey high temp silicone and they should hold up as along as the grill. You can't see the sealant on the outside since I wiped the excess squeeze out off with mineral spirits, plus I used grey.

What, are you concerned it will fail? 🤷‍♂️

IMG_3516.JPG

Yeah
I installed these a few years ago using some grey high temp silicone and they should hold up as along as the grill. You can't see the sealant on the outside since I wiped the excess squeeze out off with mineral spirits, plus I used grey.

What, are you concerned it will fail? 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 20946
overtime. Just bought a used 590 and I work for a mechanical company and have a guy in our metal shop making a stainless rain guard for it. But I like how these look they just seemed chincy. Still undecided what way I’ll go. I’ll have to drill holes for the rain guard these I won’t.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back