charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
Does the Stampede All-Weather Smoke Vents leak smoke around the seams and stain the outside lid? Or, do they install tight enough to prevent leaking smoke? I was thinking maybe seal the seams with some high-temp caulk. Dumb idea!! Red caulk would be pretty!! LOL

https://www.rectecgrills.com/High-Temperature-Caulk?quantity=1&page=2
I think it's a great idea to seal the vents using either the red 650 degree gasket maker, after it dries you could trim the excess off with a razor blade. There are other colors out there too like the black pictured but the temperature rating only goes to 500 degrees.

Attachments

• 20200714_063616.jpg
    20200714_063616.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 139
I used a little red high temp silicone on mine. It isn't very noticeable as long as you don't get too thick with it. Once the smoke, ash, and grease get flying you'll never really see any of it. I like how the vent covers finish off the 590.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_122855.jpg
    IMG_20200524_122855.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 501
I used a little red high temp silicone on mine. It isn't very noticeable as long as you don't get too thick with it. Once the smoke, ash, and grease get flying you'll never really see any of it. I like how the vent covers finish off the 590.
Nice pic. Thanks @sweetride95

Nice smoking red racing stripes!

@sweetride95 do the vents fit tight? Did you have bunches of smoke coming out the seams untill you installed the high temp caulk?

I just purchased the vents for my 590 and plan to install them today.
I'm going a little different route in sealing my vents, and plan to use some leftover Fireblack gasket I had laying around from sealing my smoker lid.
The plan is to trim out an oversized oval shape with the gasket material, then trim out the hole, finally inserting the vent....should seal very nicely with the gasket material keeping a very consistent appearance....we shall see...post pics later.

Attachments

• 20200715_125904.jpg
    20200715_125904.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 315
  • 20200715_130236.jpg
    20200715_130236.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 268
I'm going a little different route in sealing my vents, and plan to use some leftover Fireblack gasket I had laying around from sealing my smoker lid.
The plan is to trim out an oversized oval shape with the gasket material, then trim out the hole, finally inserting the vent....should seal very nicely with the gasket material keeping a very consistent appearance....we shall see...post pics later.
WOW, can't wait to see pics!

The vents fit pretty decent. You install, then bend the tab up inside to pinch in on tight. I ended up tapping the tab gently with a small ball peen hammer to really snug it up. Gently, it doesn't seem to take much.

I just caulked them as I installed them. I was worried about irregular gags and whatnot. I don't know if smoke leakage would be a thing or not.

I never thought of using fireblack on the vents. I use that around the door with great success, I don't know how it would lay around the vent. If I ever pop a vent cover off I'll try it. Keep us posted on your attempt.

So I finished the install of the vents as well as adding the Fireblack gasket material. As far as the vents go, yes you "will" need some sort of sealer or gasket for these things to properly seal...the "bare fit" if you will, is sub par in my opinion, and will end up being lose fitting. I also found that the two small tangs on each vent are very difficult to fully bend with your fingers, so you will need some sort of tool to help that process, but overall easy enough install process.
I think the Fireblack gasket did a nice job of sealing the vents, plus I feel the color goes well with the rest of the smoker, so it looks as if it should come that way.

Whichever way you go with the install, the vents definitely add to the finished appearance of the smoker, as well as do a much better job of keeping the rain out.
The vents should have been a standard feature to the smoker and not just an add on in my opinion....not sure what RT was thinking ???

So I finished the install of the vents as well as adding the Fireblack gasket material. As far as the vents go, yes you "will" need some sort of sealer or gasket for these things to properly seal...the "bare fit" if you will, is sub par in my opinion, and will end up being lose fitting. I also found that the two small tangs on each vent are very difficult to fully bend with your fingers, so you will need some sort of tool to help that process, but overall easy enough install process.
I think the Fireblack gasket did a nice job of sealing the vents, plus I feel the color goes well with the rest of the smoker, so it looks as if it should come that way.

Whichever way you go with the install, the vents definitely add to the finished appearance of the smoker, as well as do a much better job of keeping the rain out.
The vents should have been a standard feature to the smoker and not just an add on in my opinion....not sure what RT was thinking ???
Thanks @TexasSmoker . Can you post some pics?

The Fireblack I used was only about an inch wide, so I just put two strips side by side.
Wider would have been better, but I used what I had...seems it will work fine ?
Thanks @TexasSmoker. I think I am going to use black 1/2" x 1/8" Fireblack for the lid, not sure yet for the vents. Maybe the red high temp caulk if my tape is too narrow to work right.

Here is an interesting video on the classic RT-300 Mini smoke vents.

I am trying out hi temp gasket for now for the smoke vents. Auto parts shop only had white gasket. I think black would be better. I may still try out Fireblack gasket.

Attachments

• Cord Holder.jpg
    Cord Holder.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 357
  • Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    Smoke Vents Hi Temp Gaskets-2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 221
Looks good , did u run the bead with the vents already installed, if so is there enough room on the bottom of the vents to get the applicator tube in there , also I’m guessing u taped it off cause it looks professional, only asking cause I get my grill this week and was thinking of doing the same thing

Looks good , did u run the bead with the vents already installed, if so is there enough room on the bottom of the vents to get the applicator tube in there , also I’m guessing u taped it off cause it looks professional, only asking cause I get my grill this week and was thinking of doing the same thing
Thanks. Vent gaskets are mounted lose, just held in by the vents, no bead of anything. Wife cut them out on her Circut machine. She designed the gasket with a computer program she has to make things on the Circut machine. The machine couldn't cut all the way thru the hi temp gasket material, so she had to hand finish them. I am pretty sure I am going to change them out with Fireblack gasket tape. The gasket material leaked a little smoke. I think the Fireblack gasket will make a better seal. I really didn't want to use the red hi temp RTV. I tend to make a mess with caulk type stuff. LOL

Does anyone know if there is available hi temp gasket like Fireblack that is two inches wide? The widest I can find is one inch?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back