Aftermarket RTD (grill temp sensor)?

SmokinSteve

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
  2. RT-300
Hello all! New here and hopeful that one of you has already been down this road. I own both an RT-300 and and now a 700 and enjoy using both of them.

The RTD has failed for the 300 and I have ordered a new one from Rec Teq. However, I am curious if any of you have had luck with trying an aftermarket sensor from Amazon. I see there are several available for the Traeger grills and they look almost identical to the Rec Teq model. I ask because not only are they less expensive on Amazon, but they are also available on Prime and can be here the next day (whereas Rec Teq can be a bit slow in shipping).

I wonder if anyone has taken an ohm meter to a good sensor at room temperature to see what it reads. I am curious if the model the Traeger uses has a different resistance and would therefore read differently.

Thanks all!

I have one for a traeger I can check it tomorrow and get back to you with what it reads

This RTD was out of Texas elite pro 34

Attachments

• 45497251-EFDC-418C-9F69-191038FA168F.jpeg
    45497251-EFDC-418C-9F69-191038FA168F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
Just so you know it’s working at about 180* this is what it reads

Attachments

• 23F00894-D65D-4C9D-88E6-4A9C7839403C.jpeg
    23F00894-D65D-4C9D-88E6-4A9C7839403C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 178
Thanks @Fhughes This was exactly what I was looking for. I will compare these values to the RecTeq RTD. I ordered mine from RecTeq on 9/21 and it still shows "pending shipment" :)

If I’m not mistaking, the probe is a bimetal that produces a very small current that changes with temperature. Not a resistive device but I may be wrong. It may be worth taking a reading using a good meter to see if voltage changes with temp.

Thanks all. Mine still has not shipped from RecTec yet but I ordered one that was designed for a Traeger from Amazon that will be here today. Will be interesting to see what it reads at room temp (~75F here). Hopefully these units from Amazon have the same base resistive value as the RecTec units and will provide accurate readings to the grill's PID. The shipped cost from Amazon was half of the shipped cost from RecTec.

Hey all. I finally received my probe from RecTec (ordered 9/21). I was able to compare the room temperature reading between the Traeger probe I ordered on Amazon the RecTec probe.
At 75 degrees, they read the exact same measurement - 1.111kohms.
On the grill itself, the Traeger probe read the ambient outside air temperature correctly so I am confident that it will work as a replacement probe. Another upside to the Traeger probe is that the wiring is encased in a braided steel line whereas the RecTec branded probe uses cloth. The RecTec probe was $27 shipped and took 15 days to arrive. The Traeger probe from Amazon was $16 shipped and arrived the next day.

I am truly amazed at RecTec's customer service and enjoy my interactions with them but am disappointed with how long shipping takes on parts like this. In full disclosure, they have shipped me parts 2-day priority when they were related to a warranty issue but this was not that.

For Reference, the RecTec probe is on the right and the Traeger on the left.
20201006_161716.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back