Trailblazer Afterburn?? experience

ol' stonebreaker

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
Grilled a lb of bacon this PM and everything went fine. Did the shutdown and after the fan shut down I noticed smoke coming out of the grill so I guess the firepot wasn't cooled quite enough and burned up the small quantity it augers in at the end of the shutdown. I guess next time I start it it will take longer because the auger will have to deliver some more pellets. Ambient temp is 85* and grill was in the shade. Does rectec need to extend the cool down period??
BTW, I received the lava lock today and applied to the top and bottom of the lid and it stopped the smoke leaks there.

Grilled a lb of bacon this PM and everything went fine. Did the shutdown and after the fan shut down I noticed smoke coming out of the grill so I guess the firepot wasn't cooled quite enough and burned up the small quantity it augers in at the end of the shutdown. I guess next time I start it it will take longer because the auger will have to deliver some more pellets. Ambient temp is 85* and grill was in the shade. Does rectec need to extend the cool down period??
BTW, I received the lava lock today and applied to the top and bottom of the lid and it stopped the smoke leaks there.
Did you install the lid gasket with the lid off the grill Body? Did you seal your smoke vents?

No, just sealed the top and bottom of the lid to prevent smoke escape there. By smoke vents do mean the rain proof ones which I don't have? The only time this grill will see rain is from inside the roll up door of my steel bldg where it stays.

No, just sealed the top and bottom of the lid to prevent smoke escape there. By smoke vents do mean the rain proof ones which I don't have? The only time this grill will see rain is from inside the roll up door of my steel bldg where it stays.
So does any smoke come out the lid sides at all?

What temp were you cooking at? Some of us have had something similar after being at high temperature. I now run it on Lo for a bit to cool down before shutting off.

It was set at 375* and stayed there the whole time. Next time I may put on the gloves and remove everything during the shutdown and see what happens.

Once you go through the cool down process, the fan will stop. Remember the fan is used to blow air through the chamber during normal cooking process to create that "convection" atmosphere in the cooking chamber. Once the pit has cooled down enough, there is no need to continue the convection process so the fan stops. Having the fan blow longer during the cool down would probably burn even more pellets as fire needs that extra oxygen to survive. However, ones the whole process finishes there may still be some smoldering pellets left over, which can cause some residual smoking. They will eventually burn out. There should still be a few pellets left in the pot, and at start-up the auger should send more pellets into the pot (priming) as the ignitor starts to reach it's temp to light the pellets.

My 590 will coast like that occasionally after shutdown. Its a combination of temps you were cooking at when you shut the grill off, the amount of residual ash you have in the pot, and how windy it is that day. The wind seems to keep air moving through the grill, encouraging some smoldering. The only downside I have found to the extra smoldering is the extended time it takes to relight the grill. One time I observed a little smoldering up into the auger, that next cook took almost 10 minutes for the grill to light. If I vacuum my pot and hand prime every 2 cooks or so I seem to have it happen less often. A clean grill is a happy grill.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_161028.jpg
    IMG_20200428_161028.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 68
There are so many threads being posted on this forum about flame ups, smoke ups, after burns etc after cool down. Theres one common thing about them, no ever says if they keep the lid open during the cool down.

I leave my lid open to assist in the cool down. Never had an issue with these problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back