RT-1250 Advise on cleaning the Recteq Sear Grates?

wlawson1313

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
Hey y'all,

I've been using and loving my recteq sear grates on my 1250. I like to smoke first on one side of the grill, then move steaks over to the grates for that nice finish.

My questions is, what is the proper way to clean the sear grates? I have been using the recteq sear grate brush to clean as much as I can in between the grates, but it needs a little more umph. I know seasoning the grates is important, but mine are pretty grimy.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks

Hey y'all,

I've been using and loving my recteq sear grates on my 1250. I like to smoke first on one side of the grill, then move steaks over to the grates for that nice finish.

My questions is, what is the proper way to clean the sear grates? I have been using the recteq sear grate brush to clean as much as I can in between the grates, but it needs a little more umph. I know seasoning the grates is important, but mine are pretty grimy.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks
Here you go!

https://www.grillgrate.com/care-and-cleaning/

So you are supposed to clean them? Oh crap 😁 .. I thought that was the flavor saver.

I do find when I scrape/brush mine when hot, things seem to come off easier. Can't say I ever tried to get them squeaky clean as it seems to be a pain in the A$$.

I see the link that Homer shared says not to put them in the dishwasher. Oops…I’ve done that several times. They still work though. Seasoned them with cooking spray after each wash, without issue 🤷‍♂️.

I see the link that Homer shared says not to put them in the dishwasher. Oops…I’ve done that several times. They still work though. Seasoned them with cooking spray after each wash, without issue 🤷‍♂️.
My understanding is that regular cleaning in the dishwasher will eventually strip off the anodizing.

just used mine for the first time yesterday with burger. I did the hot scrape and most of the stuff came off, but one question I have for you experienced recteqers, do you just store them loose once cooled on the bottom shelf? or do you have something you place them in so the grime doesn't get everywhere they touch?

Mine live on the bottom shelf, but I will also wipe them down with paper towel and hand wash them if I did something with a sauce or glaze like teriyaki chicken skewers.

The cleaning instructions provided by Grill Grates cover just about everything. As others have pointed out, a hot scraping between uses removes most of the burnt-on stuff. I use a wood scraper which, over time has formed grooves which improve the ability to scrape the sides of the channels. Most of the scraped material piles up at the back of the grates as you scrape. When the pile gets too large, just remove the grates from the grill and dump the debris into the trash.

When the channels get too filled with stuff or if you have a wife like mine who demands a very clean cooking surface, you could try my version of Grill Grate's Spring Cleaning instructions. I have a large cement mixing tray that I fill with soapy water. I soak all the grates overnight and do a deep cleaning of the softened debris.

The final step is to use the abrasive side of a kitchen sponge to "polish" the cooking surface. This step will remove some if not all of the seasoning. Re-season after this step and you should be good to go.

I swear on the back side of my grates. Seems really hard to keep clean.

I use these. Works good for me. Stainless steel

6-pcs-stainless-steel-scrubber-6.jpg

I just use a drywall knife to scrape off the crud when I heat up for a cook and spray with avocado oil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back