Advice Wanted

rosieparisian

Grill(s) owned
  1. BFG
So I got a cheap little charcoal grill a couple of months ago and though I've grilled a lot of things on other charcoal grills I've never made steak on a grill so I was wandering if any of you had some advice? I have 2 two lbs inch and a half thick cut ribeyes that have been marinating for about 8hrs.

Wslayer

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Get yourself an internal thermometer. Don't be afraid to turn steaks more than once ( old wives tail to only flip once ). Take the temp to 132-135° (medium) let rest 10 mins, put bib in place.

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
What @Wslayer said!

Obviously, a lot will depend on the temperature at the grill surface. To get to the suggested 132-135F internal temp, I would plan on about two minutes per side, then rotate 90° and repeat the process. With a total of 4 minutes per side, you should be close, but a quick-read meat thermometer is a must to get it right.

SmokeZilla

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
This may be more than you needed but I suggest the reverse sear method. Rub using the SPOG method (kosher salt, ground fresh pepper, onion powder and garlic powder). Instead of garlic power, you can clarify some unsalted butter mixed with browned fresh garlic and take it to the next level. Bring the steaks to near ambient. (Never put cold steaks on a grill.) Place the charcoal on one side of the grill using anything that can safely shield one half from direct heat. Add extra charcoal because you will need it later. Get the grill to about 225-250F. Place the steaks on the side without coal for indirect heating. Get the steaks to around 110-115F internal temp (could take a while with thick steaks but keep monitoring). Grease or spray the grate area above the charcoal (shake the “dust“ off the charcoal to make the coals angry). Put the steaks on the grill and let them sear for 2 minutes, turn 90 degrees and put them on an unused area (still above the coals) for another 2 minutes. Flip and repeat the process. Remove from heat and foil for 10-20 minutes. Get you eat on!!!

If space is a shortage, ignore just about everything above and get the grill to as high a temperature as possible without damage. My sear burners can hit 1100F but for you that won’t be possible. Then read the method on searing above but depending on the grills temp, use a 4-7 minute per “turn” until they get to your desired temperature (usually between 120F for rare to 145F for medium. Anything beyond that is just a shame, haha.

Last edited:

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I hope Rosieparisian had a great meal and those steak worked out.

It's surprising how many variations in techniques you can do with a single grill.

One thing about grilling thick steaks is that you are likely to need a way to slow down the cooking a bit. If you have a large enough grill, that can be just having an area of the grill with little to no charcoal burning in that area, or it can be a way to raise the meat high enough away from the fire (Santa Maria grill, etc.)

Keep in mind that if you grill at very high temperatures, very close to the fire, the outside of the meat gets very hot and then permeates into the core of the meat after you remove it from the grill. The higher the grill temperature and closer the meat to the fire, the more the core temperature of the meat will rise during a rest after removing from the grill.

Under seasoning a steak is very common. When I season a steak before grilling, it looks like it has a lot on it. But much of the actual seasoning falls off during grilling as the surface is seared.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.