Advice Please!: Bulk Butts to help KY

So it begins...6 @8.5-9lbs each is all you probably want to do on the RT-700 without a shelf. I have one left that's 9.9lbs, may do it on Bullseye. (The perfect reason to justify why a man needs two, haha). 3pm start, let's see how long she takes.

C7504464-9DE8-423D-B19B-1D032CB52225.jpeg

F06F22B9-B89B-49F3-81DF-798CD12FB9BB.jpeg

Good luck with the cook. I hope they come out so well they carry you around town on their shoulders. If they don’t, just remember we are in our minds for your gallant efforts.

Good luck with the cook. I hope they come out so well they carry you around town on their shoulders. If they don’t, just remember we are in our minds for your gallant efforts.
Haha. Man, you're giving me more credit than due. I love testing new cooks on my Bull, and here in KY, you just do whatever you can to help. I just don't have it in me anymore to slide around in the mud and haul wet stuff out of dangerous houses/situations, leave that to the experts and people who don't have a bad back like me. But I'm happy to feed them!

Haha. Man, you're giving me more credit than due. I love testing new cooks on my Bull, and here in KY, you just do whatever you can to help. I just don't have it in me anymore to slide around in the mud and haul wet stuff out of dangerous houses/situations, leave that to the experts and people who don't have a bad back like me. But I'm happy to feed them!
Very wise! Sometimes, folks with good intentions and limited capability can be more of a hindrance than a help in a disaster recovery situation. Use the skills and talents you have to support those with different capabilities.

In this case, strong backs need to be fed and a guy with a bad back and good cooking skills can do that. Blessings to you and your crew for what you are doing.

Last edited:
Hello my friends, I am here in KY and unfortunately it's just the beginning of cleanup and rebuild efforts after the unprecedented flooding. My buddy and I are going to take a cooler full of 7-8 lb pork butts to the most affected parts in the backwoods of Eastern KY to relief workers and families. I do the cooking and he's the wheelman. The question I have is what is most pork butts anyone has successfully smoked (well) on a Bull RT-700 at once? Next, once you get at 4 or more, does it significantly affect cook time or pellet burn rate? Anything else to account for?
As long as the 700 isn’t stuffed full, anything will work. Thank you very much for what you’re going to do. My FEMA task force unit has been down there for the last 7days. Anything that you can do for those in need will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Friend! It won’t be forgotten. I was in western Kentucky in December at the candle factory. The amount of support that the KY people gave us was amazing. Thank you again!

Wow. I am impressed with your sprit and wish you unlimited karma points in life. I finally saw a picture of a truck being used as a truck should, yours, lol. Put that tailgate up and talk to your local dealership about a sponsorship for your future trips. They eat that stuff up like the people receiving your good will will eat the pork butts. Were you able to do cook them in shifts or did you increase your grill capacity significantly? I think RT should award you with a humanitarian award and a BFG2500 for your efforts. Stay safe.

Haha, I emailed them and needed two new probes bc I had burnt up my old ones and they gave me those, I wish they'd do a BFG bc we could take it down all weekend and serve like a food truck. I think we are going to do again. We are starting to get feedback and it meant more to people than we thought. And of course me and the boys are also competing over who's taste the best, ya gotta have some fun with it too.

E7FC9136-2FEF-43D5-9B99-E8655C4B860B.jpeg

ED7F1FF7-D16B-4634-A050-27362705D204.jpeg

As long as the 700 isn’t stuffed full, anything will work. Thank you very much for what you’re going to do. My FEMA task force unit has been down there for the last 7days. Anything that you can do for those in need will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Friend! It won’t be forgotten. I was in western Kentucky in December at the candle factory. The amount of support that the KY people gave us was amazing. Thank you again!
Let us know if you all are around that way for a while and need some food for your workers. FEMA gets some polarizing reviews from people during these disasters so good to know they got some good people down that way!

Biggest way anyone on here around KY could help is if ya'll know anyone at Costco, Sams, Walmart that would be willing to cut us a deal or donate on more pork butts or those little coolers. I tried calling our Walmart and they said "we are sending pallets of stuff down." I tried to tell them those coolers at $12.99 a piece and if we could get some donated or pork butts, we could do more. We will definitely be doing it again, maybe real soon. Like with anything, the "new" of this will wear down and they'll need the most help when the people start leaving town and the donations stop coming. I get Walmart saying what they did, but I tried to explain the need isnt for more water and socks, it's for hot cooked meals and things like that bc people don't have ability to cook or drive, and it gets pretty old eating canned goods. If anyone has any contacts to put me in touch with or just show them the photos, I know the right person would partner with us. I mean these coolers probably don't cost them 75 cents to make, they are perfect size and come in red and blue, I want to get red for the ones we make that are still hot and resting, and some of the guys made there's due to when they could ahd had to put in fridge or freezer so could do blue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-12-Can-Soft-Sided-Cooler-Blue/709693782

Biggest way anyone on here around KY could help is if ya'll know anyone at Costco, Sams, Walmart that would be willing to cut us a deal or donate on more pork butts or those little coolers. I tried calling our Walmart and they said "we are sending pallets of stuff down." I tried to tell them those coolers at $12.99 a piece and if we could get some donated or pork butts, we could do more. We will definitely be doing it again, maybe real soon. Like with anything, the "new" of this will wear down and they'll need the most help when the people start leaving town and the donations stop coming. I get Walmart saying what they did, but I tried to explain the need isnt for more water and socks, it's for hot cooked meals and things like that bc people don't have ability to cook or drive, and it gets pretty old eating canned goods. If anyone has any contacts to put me in touch with or just show them the photos, I know the right person would partner with us. I mean these coolers probably don't cost them 75 cents to make, they are perfect size and come in red and blue, I want to get red for the ones we make that are still hot and resting, and some of the guys made there's due to when they could ahd had to put in fridge or freezer so could do blue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-12-Can-Soft-Sided-Cooler-Blue/709693782
Another thing that I have found in the disaster areas that I have been in is just a shower or clean clothes. It’s the small things like baby wipes that you can clean up with that will make tour day better in a bad situation. Thank you again for all your doing to help those in need. My team is still down there as a state asset right now. Just in case the state needs anything we’re there for a few more days at least. GOd bless!

As far as our team needs, we need nothing. We are set up for 2 weeks to be self-sufficient. MRE’s are the main meal until a food system is set up through the federal system. They are driving 2hrs each way to get into the disaster area from where the base of operations is set up for sleep time and re-set our gear. They have had good interactions with people and are passing information along to other as to find shelters, food and water.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back