Stampede Adding a Camp Chef Sidekick to a 590 - walkthrough with detailed pictures

So my question is regarding grease management with the Sidekick...

I see the griddle insert has a front trough and cup to catch grease, but what about the grilling insert. Is there a grease catch, or does it just drain into the pan below and potentially on the ground below?

Also curious if anyone has figured out a propane tank mounting option with the RT590? Or is everyone just placing the tank on the ground?

So my question is regarding grease management with the Sidekick...

I see the griddle insert has a front trough and cup to catch grease, but what about the grilling insert. Is there a grease catch, or does it just drain into the pan below and potentially on the ground below?
DFC9B513-78E8-45D8-ADDC-2C99597829DA.jpeg

It drips down onto this diffuser.

I’m still thinking of a way to mount the tank, but will probably table it until next spring. The hose is not that long either, so setting it under the smoker on the shelf is not possible without a longer hose.

Sorry for the questions…. And thanks for sharing this with us. I’ve been on the fence on this mod vs a bullseye. I really don’t want another cooker if I can help it.

So does the diffuser drain to anything, or is the idea that the grease/drippings vaporize before they have a chance to drain? Haha my grill is on my deck and my wife would kill me if I mucked up the deck

Sorry for the questions…. And thanks for sharing this with us. I’ve been on the fence on this mod vs a bullseye. I really don’t want another cooker if I can help it.

So does the diffuser drain to anything, or is the idea that the grease/drippings vaporize before they have a chance to drain? Haha my grill is on my deck and my wife would kill me if I mucked up the deck
No problem at all. So far I’ve only used it for some quick searing and a couple of burgers, and anything that’s landed in the diffuser basically vaporized and there was very little cleanup. I’d imagine that would be different if you do a lot of fatty burgers, but that’s what the griddle is for. We did smash burgers on that, and it was perfect.

Great idea. I was deliberating between the RT and Woodwind, largely b/c of the sidekick (But really wanted the RT). I‘d like this for doing fish fry, (small) low country boil, etc. without breaking out the big Bayou Classic. Also big enough for just a quick small portion griddle cook without breaking out the Blackstone.

590 w Sidekick Braced.jpg

The Sidekick was one of the first mods for me. This makes the grill very versatile. If we want a seared steak or quick burgers and it's below zero in the winter, no problem. I elected to brace the outer end of the sidekick with some 16 ga metal stud braces. Now there is no bending on the stainless end of the 590.

The only issue is the wind blowing out the flame. I need to make some wind shields to go below the sidekick.

View attachment 16994
The Sidekick was one of the first mods for me. This makes the grill very versatile. If we want a seared steak or quick burgers and it's below zero in the winter, no problem. I elected to brace the outer end of the sidekick with some 16 ga metal stud braces. Now there is no bending on the stainless end of the 590.

The only issue is the wind blowing out the flame. I need to make some wind shields to go below the sidekick.
Right on. I just need to find a bigger cover still. I haven’t had any issues with the side metal bending yet over the last year, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back