Bullseye About to pull the trigger.. grill grates worth it?

Mikemc59

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
About to pull the trigger on the Bullseye for my first pellet grill. Looking mainly for something to use as a grill, but interested in the low and slow stuff once in a while as well.

I'll be cooking a lot of steaks, and I'm wondering if the grill grates are worth it to add in the bundle for $105. Also... Any cheaper alternatives that may be just as good?

Thanks!!

About to pull the trigger on the Bullseye for my first pellet grill. Looking mainly for something to use as a grill, but interested in the low and slow stuff once in a while as well.

I'll be cooking a lot of steaks, and I'm wondering if the grill grates are worth it to add in the bundle for $105. Also... Any cheaper alternatives that may be just as good?

Thanks!!
I have a 590 and 380 and I LOVE both of them. I have grill grates for both and also bought a griddle for the 380. I would highly recommend them. Really makes for great chicken, burgers and doing a pizza this weekend as well. They also keep the 380 cleaner as the grease drips in the valleys. Just gives you more options.

Thanks!!
The Grillgrates for the 380 is one of my better decisions thanks to the forum. Remember you can move the grates from grill to grill based on size.

They are great but you can get them cheaper from other places then RT. I bought mine on fathers day from a sporting goods store on Fathers day for 20% off

I use the Grill Grates on my Bull. These are the first pork chops I cooked on it. I think they're worth it!

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 143
grill grates are definitely worth it, but get them from the grill grates website, not through recteq...you can get a coupon code for 10% off. I think mine were 84 shipped...

I haven't been overly impressed with the grilling performance of my Bullseye. I'm wondering if the grill grate might be a good investment? They just seem really expensive. I still go to the charcoal grill when I'm cooking some $10.00/lb T-Bones.

I haven't been overly impressed with the grilling performance of my Bullseye. I'm wondering if the grill grate might be a good investment? They just seem really expensive. I still go to the charcoal grill when I'm cooking some $10.00/lb T-Bones.
I wasn't overly impressed with my Bullseye either. So I tried the cast iron grate and didn't care for it.

I then tried the grill grates and was impressed. Flat side for frying / smash burgers. The other side for those nice grill marks. No flare-ups as an added bonus. YMMV

The grill grates I purchased for the Bull now live on the Weber permanently. I don't think I have used the standard grill grates since. Everything just comes out better.. steaks, chops, burgers, chicken, etc. I keep it on the flat side up. I want the sear to cover as much of the portion as possible. I'm not in a show contest here and not just looking for marks.. Flavor is my game and boy do they do a heck of a job there. Ok.. now I'm getting hungry thinking about it. Reverse seared Ribeyes on the menu for tonight. Can't wait!

Enjoy!

Wondering... Can you do smash burgers on the flat side even though there are holes?
I just ordered from Recteq website. I thought I'd get free shipping, but they charged me 15$. Oh well

Wondering... Can you do smash burgers on the flat side even though there are holes?
I just ordered from Recteq website. I thought I'd get free shipping, but they charged me 15$. Oh well

Hmm.. smash burgers on the flat side? Good question.. have not tried. I would imagine if you smashed them easily they would be fine.. a hard smash might squeeze all the goodness through the holes if they are soft. A true flattop would be best but you can try :).

I called them added some heffer dust, and got it 4 bucks cheaper. They are good on the phone.
Im glad you did that. I was going to suggest adding the grate brush...that, plus the flipper and the grates brings you right over $100. No reason to spend $15 on shipping when there are plenty of add ons that you can use. Glad it worked out

I use mine grill grates quite a bit. I do pick and chose though what to use them on because I also have the aura cast iron grill grates. Between those two, the grill grates are better for flare ups as they block a lot of the flame whereas the cast iron grill grates do not. I did get mine for free though from RecTeq I believe b/c my bullseye had a small ding on the hopper lid so rather than just get a new unit, I took the grates.

So if I'm doing a steak, I definitely use them. And though I have cooked on charcoal, I've never owned a charcoal grill....kind of crazy but always before RecTeq, liked the convenience of a gas grill. Though I will say even though I love the Bullseye and how it can cook, for those who love that strong charcoal taste, it is tough to beat. But I'll take the Bullseye 100% over a gas grill. I love the flavor it adds and if I am doing a steak that isn't thin, I'm for sure going to reverse sear using my Bull to smoke and Bullseye to sear on riot mode with flat side grill grates up.

I do second what others have said, Unless RecTeq is having a sale, go find the grates either directly from grill grates or some other site to get for cheaper.

I guess this is where I'm getting confused. So I have a 590. I got rid of all my gassers and replaced them with the 590. But of course, quickly realized that I can't sear for crap on the 590, and sometimes I just want to grill.

That said, I've been eyeing the 380, thinking I could get the "grilling" feature I need without the gas fuel source. Are you guys saying the 380 without grill grates won't do the trick? Or why is everyone pro grill grates on the 380? It just seemed to me that they would not be necessary since this thing is supposed to scream at + 700°

I have the grill grates for my 590, but I'm not impressed. Sure they get a bit hotter, but its not "grilling".

Where I'm at is...

• Do I do the camp chef sidekick mod to my 590
  • Get a smaller gasser
  • Or get the Bullseye

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back