Bull 700 Cover - Epic Fail, just venting

Living in stormy south Florida, love the cover. Awesome that it fits so well.
Who wants a cover that lifts off and blows away in the slightest wind?
I've had custom covers for other grills that I've cussed and strapped and laid bricks on top to keep the damn thing from blowing away.
No complaints here on the Bull cover.

Put it on, in the reverse order as the video shows how they take it off (starting at 1:25)
Start with it over the Stack and work left and down
Easy-peasy
Don't understand their logic on how THEY put it, on myself o_O
Don't you normally put something together, in the reverse order of how you take it apart ? :unsure:

I know there are threads covering this and I know there are ways to do it and instructional videos and all that but I just need to vent for a minute here. Love the bull - hate, hate, HATE the cover. It is an epic engineering / design fail in my opinion. There are instructional videos for getting it on and off. That should tell you something as a designer - you shouldn't need an instructional video to get a !@#@!$ grill cover off or on. Either put another 3" of material into it OR put a zipper into it. Heck, you could even take it to 11 and do BOTH. It is that simple.

One of these days I am going to crumple this thing up and throw it into the garbage and get an aftermarket one but, for now I have to deal with it and it sucks!

If you are in the pre-purchase phase on a grill, do yourself a favor and don't waste $$ on the cover.

Sorry, I simply needed to uncover my grill and the #$%#@$ cover caught on the grease bucket and up-ended it onto my deck because there is not enough material (and I was not paying attention to what it was tugging on).

There - I feel better now!!! :)
I agree that it is an epic fail. Yes, if you follow the video it goes on and off without tearing but, a grill cover just does not need take walking back and forth from one end of the grill to another. The video does have one funny moment. When they explain how it can be tied down so that the wind won't blow it off. A tornado may lift the grill up in the air with the cover on but, it could never get the cover off.

I've had a rt680 for 5 years and had the custom cover from the start. Yes, it is a pain to get on and off but I get it on and off. It does leak. And the RT-680 is notorious for the paintjob bubbling up on it anyway. Having it on is still better than off for rain, I just have to remember to take if off afterwards so the grill can dry off and not rust so much.
I won't be buying another leaky cover for $90, that's for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions for alternatives that do the job.

Thanks. I got that one and it works great. I think the problem with the recteq one is that there are so many seams in order to form fir the unique shape and they all start to stretch and leak. I even sprayed my seams with flex seal in an attempt to save it but it didn't help. Now it is in the trash and I have a functional cover for 1/3 the price.

There is definitely a way to put it on and take it off. I haven't had much trouble after the first couple of tries, but they should make a video on the best way to do it.

Edit:. I guess they did. 🤔🧐

Last edited:
Well....I spoke too soon. Took off the cover to do some clean up and when putting it back on I noticed a nice clean cut right below the RT logo about 3" long. It's not even along a seam or anything. :mad:

I am not sure if I did it, it's pretty clean and I wouldn't have even noticed it had I not had my hand right there. Probably slap some duct tape on the inside, but kind of disappointing. I will say, the Traeger covers are a lot better and much thicker.

Not to be a contrarian but I don't have any problems removing or covering my Bull with the cover. Now that's not to say when I first tried installing the cover that I didn't utter a few choice words but I've had my Bull for about 2.5 yrs and it's pretty easy now.

Not to be a contrarian but I don't have any problems removing or covering my Bull with the cover. Now that's not to say when I first tried installing the cover that I didn't utter a few choice words but I've had my Bull for about 2.5 yrs and it's pretty easy now.

Yeah, but you've had lots of practice :p.

I know there are threads covering this and I know there are ways to do it and instructional videos and all that but I just need to vent for a minute here. Love the bull - hate, hate, HATE the cover. It is an epic engineering / design fail in my opinion. There are instructional videos for getting it on and off. That should tell you something as a designer - you shouldn't need an instructional video to get a !@#@!$ grill cover off or on. Either put another 3" of material into it OR put a zipper into it. Heck, you could even take it to 11 and do BOTH. It is that simple.

One of these days I am going to crumple this thing up and throw it into the garbage and get an aftermarket one but, for now I have to deal with it and it sucks!

If you are in the pre-purchase phase on a grill, do yourself a favor and don't waste $$ on the cover.

Sorry, I simply needed to uncover my grill and the #$%#@$ cover caught on the grease bucket and up-ended it onto my deck because there is not enough material (and I was not paying attention to what it was tugging on).

There - I feel better now!!! :)
I used mine once and threw it in a corner. Absolutely useless. Way to hard to get on and off.

My bull is brand new. I haven't even made my first cook or even done the burn-in but I had zero problems getting the cover on. Maybe they listened and made the newer covers bigger...I don't know. I did remove the drip bucket and started on the stack side. Easy peasy... :cool:

I can't help but think that there are different manufacturers of the cover. I've watched the video multiple times and my cover will simply not work that way. In the video, when he pulls the cover over the controls, it's so easy. Mine will not do that. Even heated up by the SC sun.

I can't help but think that there are different manufacturers of the cover. I've watched the video multiple times and my cover will simply not work that way. In the video, when he pulls the cover over the controls, it's so easy. Mine will not do that. Even heated up by the SC sun.
If you find a cover that fits as nicely as the factory cover and easy to remove please let us know.

I have a aftermarket cover and it's a sloppy fit.

I don’t have the smokebox, but I bought the cover for the RT-700 With Smokebox anyway for a couple of reasons.

I had read that the regular cover was pretty tight, and nobody wants a Ross Geller leather pants situation with their grill. The smokebox cover looked like it had some extra room and also looked like it would be less likely for an accident prone person such as myself to dump the grease bucket all over the new patio.

There’s also the possibility that I might add the smoke box later, and I didn’t want to shell out more money for a different cover.

It’s worked out pretty well so far. It takes far less than a minute to put it on, and I don’t think there have been any close calls with tears. This is what it looks like after I threw it on quickly before a thunderstorm hit. I didn’t worry about putting it on neatly, obviously.

That being said, I have no idea how tight it would be if I actually had a smoke box attached.

Attachments

• A51FD12A-8B80-4353-A284-DAA9DAC0D1B0.jpeg
    A51FD12A-8B80-4353-A284-DAA9DAC0D1B0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I don’t have the smokebox, but I bought the cover for the RT-700 With Smokebox anyway for a couple of reasons.
I had read that the regular cover was pretty tight, and nobody wants a Ross Gellar leather pants situation with their grill. The smokebox cover looked like it had some extra room and also looked like it would be less likely for an accident prone person such as myself to dump the grease bucket all over the new patio.
There’s also the possibility that I might add the smoke box later, and I didn’t want to shell out more money for a different cover.
It’s worked out pretty well so far. It takes far less than a minute to put it on, and I don’t think there have been any close calls with tears. This is what it looks like after I threw it in quickly before a thunderstorm hit. I didn’t worry about putting it on neatly, obviously.
That being said, I have no idea how tight it would be if I actually had a smoke box attached.
This is a pic of a $23 cover that was mentioned here on the forum. Main complaint is water will pool on the top but sounds like the "ball" mod will resolve that issue.
20210708_134328.jpg

This is a pic of a $23 cover that was mentioned here on the forum. Main complaint is water will pool on the top but sounds like the "ball" mod will resolve that issue.
That’s nice, especially for the price! Without the “ball mod,” I don’t think there’s a way to avoid the pooling water, cover the hopper, and avoid a super tight top half of the cover. At least we can say our Bulls have balls, right?

I had to castrate him. He was getting frisky with the Traeger.

I always get stuff making nests under the covers - insects, spiders, mice - so go naked on my grills. I did make a bucket lid if you want to seal that up to reduce/prevent spills while taking off the cover.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back