Bull 700 Cover - Epic Fail, just venting

lol can you imagine a bfg with bullseye as an attached side burner. someday i want a bfg for real. but im far from done modding my 700. i got ideas. cover was just a joke, but it would fit easily
Need to try the BFG auger in the bullseye.

I know there are threads covering this and I know there are ways to do it and instructional videos and all that but I just need to vent for a minute here. Love the bull - hate, hate, HATE the cover. It is an epic engineering / design fail in my opinion. There are instructional videos for getting it on and off. That should tell you something as a designer - you shouldn't need an instructional video to get a !@#@!$ grill cover off or on. Either put another 3" of material into it OR put a zipper into it. Heck, you could even take it to 11 and do BOTH. It is that simple.

One of these days I am going to crumple this thing up and throw it into the garbage and get an aftermarket one but, for now I have to deal with it and it sucks!

If you are in the pre-purchase phase on a grill, do yourself a favor and don't waste $$ on the cover.

Sorry, I simply needed to uncover my grill and the #$%#@$ cover caught on the grease bucket and up-ended it onto my deck because there is not enough material (and I was not paying attention to what it was tugging on).

There - I feel better now!!! :)
I struggle getting it off. Putting it on isn't so bad. I planning on smoking chicken thighs yesterday on it but when I remembered I had to fight with the cover I smoked them on the kettle! A 1.5 hour smoke isn't worth fighting a cover for 10min. That cover single handedly will be the reason i finally cover the patio even with wood prices ridiculously high! Lol

I feel your pain on the bull with smokebox. I think I finally have it down after a year. No rips yet, but a close call or two. The cover is pretty good quality material but darn snug. The stock cover on my Weber gasser is also well made and is very easy to use. Huge difference.
Agreed. I can literally grab the center top of my Weber Genesis II LX cover with one hand, lift straight up, & remove the cover in 2-3 seconds.

With the smoker box, mine takes seconds as well.....about 60:(:(
Mine has a smoker box...less than a minute for me. I spend far more time on stuff with less importance. It is a fitted cover. With that said, a larger cover would be easier to put on but less effective regarding preservation of the grill in inclement weather conditions. Just one guys opinion of which matters to few.

Last edited:
Mine has a smoker box...less than a minute for me. I spend far more time on stuff with less importance. It is a fitted cover. With that said, a larger cover would be easier to put on but less effective regarding preservation of the grill in inclement weather conditions. Just one guys opinion of which matter to few.
All opinions matter & are of worth, whether to many or few. The important thing is to know that one is heard (y) It's good that first world "problems" are the best "problems" one could have.

Well.....I don't have any problems and I see a few others that posted don't as well. To me, the fact that it's form fitting means RT took the extra effort to make a nice cover. Anyone can throw a 10$ tarp over something but, that really only protects the top from elements. The thing I see the most here and on Shitbook, is human error and impatience. If a person follows the system others have laid out, it's fail proof. Ive had mine over 3 years now and it is still very nice. It probably has loosened over the years slightly, making it even easier. Slow down, listen to advice and it'll fit perfectly.

Wish I would have seen this before ordering one. Just found out about this site today.

The cover is fine. Don’t run over to it rip it off like a magician revealing the missing assistant.
Just like
@Buckeye smoker
said in reply #30 slow down.
I have not had any issues in last 5 months.
follow the directions. 🤓
Remain calm... all is well! Just think of your wife trying to shimmy into a pair of jeans she wore "when you first got married" which for me was 40 yrs ago:love:

I have a smoke box on my Bull. I have not had any issues putting the cover on or taking it off. It does fit well. Maybe some are a little tighter than others. I don’t know.

I have a smoke box on my Bull. I have not had any issues putting the cover on or taking it off. It does fit well. Maybe some are a little tighter than others. I don’t know.
Are we still talking about grill covers? 🤔

I struggled with my cover as well. Ripped it the first time I put it on the old Bull. Since Reqs is built in, I'm going to "hem" the new cover to both cover the grill, and also to drape around the edges a bit for a little more weather protection at the small gap between grill and cover. Seeing the cover my EVO came with made me start thinking this way.
More to come!

I take off the drip bucket and place it on the lower frame rack. The chimney side goes on first, and the rest seems to go pretty well. Having said that, I am going to take it to an upholstery shop to have them split the left side seam and install hook & loop (Velcro). No way I will have a zipper in the cover. I don't find the cover to be a major issue, just want to improve it a bit.

After three years of practice with it, it's still a pain. I have not rip it yet. It's like if I can get it off without ripping it, I'm not too drunk to grill. A cupule moree inces RT, please, please, pretty please.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back