7.5 pound brisket (my first) -- seeking advice

TBass

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. RT-300
Just picked up a beautiful 7.5-lb brisket from the butcher to smoke on my 340 this weekend. Only 7.5-lbs because it's just for my family, nothing crazy.

I want to attempt Malcolm Reed's recipe here -- but the timing is for a much larger brisket. If I start the first phase of the cook (unwrapped at 195), how long should it go? I am worried that if I start it overnight on Friday, the 6-7 hours while I am sleeping may be too long for it -- is that a legit concern? I am ideally aiming to have it ready by Saturday at dinnertime (really anywhere 5-7pm range), although if it's later and we need to save it for Sunday or eat super late, that's fine too. I know I need to be flexible with smoking...

So basically -- I am torn between starting late Friday (going on around ~11pm-12am), or starting early Saturday (likely around 7am). Starting Friday would almost guarantee it's ready by Saturday for dinner, but I don't want to overcook it for that first phase...while starting Saturday means that I can really be mindful of temps and such as it cooks.

Any advice is appreciated for a newbie...

Just picked up a beautiful 7.5-lb brisket from the butcher to smoke on my 340 this weekend. Only 7.5-lbs because it's just for my family, nothing crazy.

I want to attempt Malcolm Reed's recipe here -- but the timing is for a much larger brisket. If I start the first phase of the cook (unwrapped at 195), how long should it go? I am worried that if I start it overnight on Friday, the 6-7 hours while I am sleeping may be too long for it -- is that a legit concern? I am ideally aiming to have it ready by Saturday at dinnertime (really anywhere 5-7pm range), although if it's later and we need to save it for Sunday or eat super late, that's fine too. I know I need to be flexible with smoking...

So basically -- I am torn between starting late Friday (going on around ~11pm-12am), or starting early Saturday (likely around 7am). Starting Friday would almost guarantee it's ready by Saturday for dinner, but I don't want to overcook it for that first phase...while starting Saturday means that I can really be mindful of temps and such as it cooks.

Any advice is appreciated for a newbie...
I'm in a similar boat and was just about to post asking for advice. New RT-700 owner and picked up a trimmed 7lb brisket flat from Costco (I probably should have asked if they had untrimmed?). Anyway, I was hoping for some pointers from other Bull owners on how I should go about cooking it.

Maybe someone will reply this time around.

I would start at midnight. If you are Cooking at 195 it should be fine overnight. If it’s done early you can rest it in a cooler. I always start brisket and pork shoulder the night before now after too many cooks taking longer than I hoped. Eating at 11pm is no fun.

Best of luck!

I've done one. Turned out okay. I started the night before as well.
If you find an untrimmed one, save the fat trimmings for stuff later.
Use both probes, one in each end. The flat end will probably finish first.
Don't let "The Stall" freak you out.
Mine was done early, and went wrapped into a cooler with towels to rest for a few hours till dinner time. That thing was still hot when I sliced it.
It was nice having the brisket done so I could relax and help with the sides.

Have fun!

Here's my notes from an 8 lb'er I did last fall if it helps. I didn't mark down the ambient temp, but note it was Halloween in MA.

The plan... 10/31/20 8lb, about 7 lbs trimmed. Costco Choice flat. inject, S&P, and trim an hour before start. Do 3 hrs @ 225 then bump up to 250. Figure on 11 hr cook and 2-3 hr rest. Wrap @ 160. Guessing 14 hrs from start to finish.

In practice... Trim and inject before bed, S&P while fire starts @ 03:00, Meat on @ 3:20.
Started to spritz @ 6:40.
Bumped up to 250 @ 06:50.
Wrapped fat down in Butcher Paper @ about 9:00 @ 155 degrees in the thickest part.
15:00, 195, bumped up to 260. 200 @ 15:30 when I pulled it. Rest till 17:15.

never be in a hurry
always get done early
ok to heat up
not done in time u go to mcdonalds
smoking, grilling, bbq'ing, baking, drinking, ... it's all about fun to me and not stressing
if you have to meet a small window deadline go to publix and pick it up
meat is similar to climate, you can't control it 100%
how it was raised, how it was cut, what it ate, how old it is, how thick, how wide, ambient temp and wind, pellets, distance, atmospheric pressure, moon phase, all play a tiny impact on how the cook goes

Those little Choice grade, half flats, are the most difficult to get a moist result, IMO. Costco trims most ot the fat cap off, leaving you with a lean piece of tough meat.

If I had to do another, I'd inject with a fat, most likely clarified beef tallow with seasoning added. You can get beef fat at the butcher counter.

I'd also wrap after getting the bark set to desired or 165F ish. I'd go with foil or a tray on a small flat, instead of butcher paper. With a tray, you can add some tallow and broth when you "wrap" at the stall, then use the drippings for dipping to keep the slices moist and flavorful.

Thanks all. I’ve done a few briskets since my original post, and they’re usually around the same size, which is perfect for my family. I am definitely a “start the night before” guy for briskets now. Pretty hard to screw up if you set it on low for the overnight portion. Usually the temp is still in the pre-stall phase when I wake up in the morning.

In other news, smoking a pork butt today. HAPPY FOURTH peeps!!!

Attachments

• 46BB3A20-3146-4DDE-9F74-59A188EC9D41.jpeg
    46BB3A20-3146-4DDE-9F74-59A188EC9D41.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Thanks everyone!

I ended up starting at 11:30pm the night before at 225 with a two-stage plan (8hrs on the smoker and 5 wrapped in the oven). I was going to inject it and totally forgot.

Anyway, I neglected to check the temperature of the brisket until it had been in the oven for about 4hrs and discovered it was only at 160. I cranked the oven up to 325 to finish it off and pulled it when it broke 200 with good "probe tenderness". I put it in the cooler to rest for 2hrs after that.

In the end it came out pretty nice, passing the flap test and being moister than I could have hoped for given the various issues I had. I suspect my oven thermostat isn't terribly reliable and will likely keep my next attempt on the RT700 the whole time.

FWIW, our oven varies 50 degrees before stabilizing. If you leave it on long enough it stays at the set temp, more or less, but it can take an hour to stabilize.

Those little Choice grade, half flats, are the most difficult to get a moist result, IMO. Costco trims most ot the fat cap off, leaving you with a lean piece of tough meat.

If I had to do another, I'd inject with a fat, most likely clarified beef tallow with seasoning added. You can get beef fat at the butcher counter.

I'd also wrap after getting the bark set to desired or 165F ish. I'd go with foil or a tray on a small flat, instead of butcher paper. With a tray, you can add some tallow and broth when you "wrap" at the stall, then use the drippings for dipping to keep the slices moist and flavorful.
I did one of the small Costco flats last week. I wrapped in foil and some dark beer almost like you would do a pork butt. I was afraid it would dry out, so I went for the steam affect. Fat side down FWIW. It came really good, wife wants me to another one.

I did one of the small Costco flats last week. I wrapped in foil and some dark beer almost like you would do a pork butt. I was afraid it would dry out, so I went for the steam affect. Fat side down FWIW. It came really good, wife wants me to another one.
Forgot to add I made a Texas style finishing sauce to pour over just in case. Did not need it day one. On the reheat the second day the sauce was a help.

I would inject it with beef consume on one inch grid pattern and you could start it at 4 AM. I have cooked all mine so far at 225 all the way through from start to finish. the last one I cooked I didn't wrap it per the advice of a very good local bbq joint who makes amazing brisket. They said they do theirs at 225 and they don't wrap. Their bark is amazing. So the last one I tried it their way. The bark was the best ever I made on the Bull.

I am cooking an 8 pound flat Saturday. I am starting it at 4 AM. It should be done by 4 or 5 and rest until 7 .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back