Bull 680 how to get the wheels off

rherteux

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Can anybody tell me if there's a trick to getting the small swivel wheels off? I just received a replacement set of wheels and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the small wheels off. There's a 11/16 nut that it looks like I have to get to but the bottom of the leg and the top of the wheel housing doesn't allow enough room for a standard size wrench to get to it.

So to answer my own question...it was a pain. If there is no rust you should be able to grab onto the outside ring of the wheel enclosure and turn counter-clockwise (per Rectec support). In my case, no dice, that didn't work...even with penetrating oil and a big ol pair of pliers the outer wheel enclosure just spun but the bolt in the leg didn't budge. So, I took off the wheel and then took a drill to the stamped metal piece that holds the wheel enclosure in place. After some considerable drilling I was able to get the wheel enclosure off (ball bearings went flying everywhere). Now I had full access to the 11/16 bolt head. Some more penetrating oil and I tried turning it out with a crescent wrench. Nope, it was good and stuck. I finally had to take a reciprocating saw and saw off the part of the bolt that protruded from the leg. After that I took a series of drill bits and drilled out the bolt that was left inside the leg as best as I could until I was able to get the remaining bolt piece to come loose. Wow, that took some effort (times 2 legs). Fortunately there was enough threading left inside the legs that I was able to turn the new wheels on. In retrospect I should have just asked Rectec if they'd replace those legs under warranty.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back