590 or 700 - Especially for Ribs

GuitarKidd

Hey all! Trying to decide on the 590 or the 700. My main concern is how many actual rack of ribs can I get in each grill and allow the ribs and the grill to cook properly. I'm not new to smoking as I have a large BGE, but want to add a Rec Tec to add to my capacity.

Specs on the 590 say 5 racks of ribs, but the videos I have watched makes me think that 5 and even 4 ribs are a stretch.
The 700 says 6 racks of ribs.

My wife and I have 6 children between us and when we host, we have quite a few over. I'd love to be able to throw a big pork butt in the green egg and lay down 5-6 racks of ribs on the Rec-Tec. I want to be sure I get the right sized Rec Tec.

Thanks for the input!

I have a 700. Six racks would be tight in there but you certainly could do it with narrow racks i.e. baby backs with the racks situated narrow side at front and back. Add the top shelf and you can fit a couple more in there. I have never seen a 590 so no help with that.

Based on your needs, I think it’s an easy choice-RT-700 for sure. Might even look at the RT-2500 if you thought you might want to retire the BGE.
Na, not going to retire the BGE. Love cooking steaks on it and will give me more capacity. How many normal style St. Louis ribs can I realistically expect on the 700?

Na, not going to retire the BGE. Love cooking steaks on it and will give me more capacity. How many normal style St. Louis ribs can I realistically expect on the 700?
I’ve never done more that 4 St. Louis style at one time, but I’d agree with @jfrosty27 that you may need the second shelf to fit 6. Baby backs, 6 would be easy. The challenge with any of these grills is that you can’t use all the grate space as the front and back need to be left open for airflow. That means you shouldn’t place the racks running front-to-back, even though they will fit that way.

700 is only 6" wider
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

That being said, you can never have too much grill space! If you got the money, get the 700.

Late to the party here.. everything mentioned is spot on.. You only live once do it right the first time if you have any doubts. Some are fine with the 590.. all depends on your needs.

I would cut the racks in half so you place more on and get the shelf, then you can definitely do six racks.

I'll add another voice for the 700 in your case. This pic is mine with a chuckie + 3 assorted racks + some beef ribs. I've seen some little racks at stores but with the size I buy they fit best diagonally if I go more than 2 at a time.
IMG_20200203_115338.jpg

Like you I used a large BGE for 15 years. After a couple of my friends bought a Recteq I decided to take the plunge. I bought the 700 and have never looked back. Matter of fact after a few months of not using the BGE I sold it. Using the sear kit I feel as if my steaks are turning out the same. Good luck on your decision.

Like you I used a large BGE for 15 years. After a couple of my friends bought a Recteq I decided to take the plunge. I bought the 700 and have never looked back. Matter of fact after a few months of not using the BGE I sold it. Using the sear kit I feel as if my steaks are turning out the same. Good luck on your decision.
I got my BGE in 2004, my Bull in 2019. I haven’t used the Egg since the Bull arrived, so I gave it to my son-in-law last week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back