Stampede 590 not hitting temp.

Fightonrob

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Trying to get my 590 to 475. It's. Been taking a long time. I'm using Bear Mountain pellets gourmet blend. Not sure what's going on. I clean the grill really well and still won't get to temp

Last edited:
Trying to get my 590 to 475. It's. Been taking a long time. I'm using beer mountain pellets gourmet blend. Not sure what's going on. I clean the grill really well and still won't get to temp
Outside temperature?

FYI my initial burn-in took MUCH longer than my outgoing GMG DB WiFI in similar situations. They got progressively better since then and now I don't even notice a difference even in single digit temperatures.

Trying to get my 590 to 475. It's. Been taking a long time. I'm using beer mountain pellets gourmet blend. Not sure what's going on. I clean the grill really well and still won't get to temp
Where are you? Ambient temp? Wind? Condition and age of pellets? (never heard of them). Have you run the diagnostic test sequence yet?

What is a "long time" to you? I think you meant Bear Mountain?

What are you comparing to?

What is a "long time" to you? I think you meant Bear Mountain?

What are you comparing to?
Sorry, I meant Bear Mountain. But it was about almost an hour and the highest temp it would hit would be about 450 then drop to 440ish. Never hit 475.

Sorry, I meant Bear Mountain. But it was about almost an hour and the highest temp it would hit would be about 450 then drop to 440ish. Never hit 475.

Got ya.. asking because I recently ran a test with my Bull but it was much colder. Took me 65 minutes to get to just under 500* from 45* (stored in my above ground basement area). It was 27* F with 20* wind chills. That was using Pit Boss Competition Blend. I thought it was sluggish as when I got it back in December it was a bit warmer but had it up to almost 550 and it was still climbing in less time (I was not clocking it then). That was using the RecTeq pellets so there was a difference there.

Have you ever ran comparisons before and why you think it is struggling? It does sound like it is if that is what you got after an hour especially if you have seen it over that and quicker before.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/riot-mode-for-rt-700.3155/post-33398

I don't know about others but my initial break-in period took over an hour to hit temp. It wasn't exactly 95 degrees out when I did it but I expected it and was patient. It needs to do an initial calibration and such and I imagine this is going to err on the side of safety at the cost of speed. I had no preconceived notion of how long it "should" take. I made sure I had hours of availability before I began though and basically just walked away and let it do it's thing. I seem to recall it was well over an hour to hit that initial temperature but, like I said, I had nowhere to be so I didn't really care enough to time it.

Got ya.. asking because I recently ran a test with my Bull but it was much colder. Took me 65 minutes to get to just under 500* from 45* (stored in my above ground basement area). It was 27* F with 20* wind chills. That was using Pit Boss Competition Blend. I thought it was sluggish as when I got it back in December it was a bit warmer but had it up to almost 550 and it was still climbing in less time (I was not clocking it then). That was using the RecTeq pellets so there was a difference there.

Have you ever ran comparisons before and why you think it is struggling? It does sound like it is if that is what you got after an hour especially if you have seen it over that and quicker before.

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/riot-mode-for-rt-700.3155/post-33398
Yeah, I was thinking maybe the pellets had something to do with it. I just got a bag of the rec tec pellets going to try those out and see if the problem is that. I have a bag of traeger pellets, was thinking of testing those since I don't really care for wasting those pellets haha.

I don't know about others but my initial break-in period took over an hour to hit temp. It wasn't exactly 95 degrees out when I did it but I expected it and was patient. It needs to do an initial calibration and such and I imagine this is going to err on the side of safety at the cost of speed. I had no preconceived notion of how long it "should" take. I made sure I had hours of availability before I began though and basically just walked away and let it do it's thing. I seem to recall it was well over an hour to hit that initial temperature but, like I said, I had nowhere to be so I didn't really care enough to time it.
Same with me. My initial burn in took a while but after that had no problem until recently.

Same with me. My initial burn in took a while but after that had no problem until recently.
My apologies, I assumed this was your initial burn-in for some reason but if you already got through that my input isn't applicable. Have you made any changes recently either to the smoker or process? The obvious temperature is the weather which we all know will have some degree of effect but have you made any other changes recently that may not even seem related?

Would help to know the ambient temp. One way I have found to speed it up is to put the control on Ful when you want a high temp around 500*. On Ful it feeds at the maximum rate and does not slow down or adjust as it nears the target. If you wanted 475*, then when it got near (i.e. 470*), then turn the control back to 475. Bet that helps. Let us know. I use Lumber Jack comp blend or Hickory blend, they burn hot.

Would help to know the ambient temp. One way I have found to speed it up is to put the control on Ful when you want a high temp around 500*. On Ful it feeds at the maximum rate and does not slow down or adjust as it nears the target. If you wanted 475*, then when it got near (i.e. 470*), then turn the control back to 475. Bet that helps. Let us know. I use Lumber Jack comp blend or Hickory blend, they burn hot.
On the second post I asked, it was stated that temp was 50 to 60 degrees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back