Stampede 45 mins to hit 375???

The auger speed is fixed, not variable. Give that, the auger turns on and off as needed, and in tandem with the fan, it maintain the set temp. The lower the feed rate setting, the longer the interval between when the auger starts/stops. Or in other words, the minimum feed rate is the maximum interval rate between when the auger is on and off. Once the grill is set to a temp that is higher than what can be reached by the minimum feed rate setting, the PID controller takes over and increases auger feed rate and fan speed to reach higher temps.

Most people won’t have a problem (maintaining low temps) that needs fixing by changing the feed rate. It’s only applicable in hot climates. However, many people are of the opinion that changing the feed rate will lower the pit temps as measured by a 3rd party thermometer to match what is measured by the PID thermometer. That’s not going to work. On a properly functioning grill, only by changing the temp offset setting (+ or - 20%) can the user to get the controller to match what the user observes with a 3rd party thermometer. Hope this helps.
So why do folks in real hot areas have to lower the auger feed rate to prevent flameouts? Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

So why do folks in real hot areas have to lower the auger feed rate to prevent flameouts? Thanks for taking the time to explain this.
They don’t, at least they shouldn’t, lower the feed rate to prevent flameouts. They lower the feed rate because they have set the grill to say 200* and the minimum temp it will achieve is more than that i.e. 250*. The risk of flame outs comes when the feed rate is so low that the fire goes out (likely due to poor pellet quality) because the fire pot is not getting enough fuel. The fire is starved, thus it goes out.

In other words, if one is experiencing flame,outs, they should change pellets and/or increase the minimum feed rate, even if it means they cannot cook at as low a temperature that they might like.

They don’t, at least they shouldn’t, lower the feed rate to prevent flameouts. They lower the feed rate because they have set the grill to say 200* and the minimum temp it will achieve is more than that i.e. 250*. The risk of flame outs comes when the feed rate is so low that the fire goes out (likely due to poor pellet quality) because the fire pot is not getting enough fuel. The fire is starved, thus it goes out.

In other words, if one is experiencing flame,outs, they should change pellets and/or increase the minimum feed rate, even if it means they cannot cook at as low a temperature that they might like.
OK, thanks again Greg.

Once the grill is set to a temp that is higher than what can be reached by the minimum feed rate setting, the PID controller takes over and increases auger feed rate and fan speed to reach higher temps.

I wasn't aware the fan changed speed. I thought the fan speed was fixed and it was either on or off? I don't hear my fan sound change so I assumed it's a fixed speed. Am I wrong?

I could be mistaken about that point, but it sure sounds like my fan speeds change. There are two fans on the grill, I don‘t know why there are two, but perhaps the sound change is when the second one kicks on/off.

Attachments

• 94FF92A8-8734-4E28-A049-A44BA4E3D1AC.jpeg
    94FF92A8-8734-4E28-A049-A44BA4E3D1AC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
I could be mistaken about that point, but it sure sounds like my fan speeds change. There are two fans on the grill, I don‘t know why there are two, but perhaps the sound change is when the second one kicks on/off.
I wasn't aware there are 2 fans. I never hear any change in the fan sound, maybe one of them is not working. I'm going to have to take a closer look at these fans. Actually, I never hear my fan cycle on/off, it seems as though it's on constantly. It does keep at contant set temp so I believe the unit is working properly. The grill is kinda new and I've only done 8 or so cooks on it, all from 225 - 350. Maybe the fan only cycles on/off at very lower temps?

I always turn my grill down to lower setting around 300 from the cleaning riot mode 749 to cool down before I go to off. I hear a fan going on and off frequently till the temp gets to 300.

I wasn't aware there are 2 fans. I never hear any change in the fan sound, maybe one of them is not working. I'm going to have to take a closer look at these fans. Actually, I never hear my fan cycle on/off, it seems as though it's on constantly. It does keep at contant set temp so I believe the unit is working properly. The grill is kinda new and I've only done 8 or so cooks on it, all from 225 - 350. Maybe the fan only cycles on/off at very lower temps?
Here are the two fans @pungo. Check out the video.

https://www.recteq.com/the-recteq-difference

Thanks for the link, I watched that a while ago and missed the 2nd fan.
To me, it looks like one fan brings in outside air, while the other one blows air across the lit pellets. Not sure if they both turn on and off together when they cycle?
Welcome @pungo. I am not sure too. I know it is real noticeable when it does its thing.

it’s like over thinking. i think. lol.

6.5 = best pellet dump to fire box = more steady temps.
3.0 = slow burn flame outs (depends on outdoor temp etc).

should just look at it 30mph vs 60mph. here in mid maryland- my ol 680 and my new 700 love 6.5 setting. high temp cooks and low temp cooks no problem at 6.5. make sure to use good pellets in the winter months.

i have tested over 75 pounds of pellets in my new 700 - 6.5 in my location = the best, almost wish there was a 7.0 option.

t

The minimum feed rate setting on the recteq grills is perhaps the most misunderstood feature of pellet grilling. You will read user after user discuss here, and elsewhere, that increasing the feed rate is the answer to getting higher temps out of your grill. It doesn’t work that way. The minimum feed rate is just what it says it is-the minimum amount of pellets that will be fed to the fire pot, regardless of the user set temp on the controller. It’s a nice feature, for those living in summer ambient temps of 90+ degrees and setting the grill to 200* results in the actual temp being 200+ degrees.

For those of us old enough to relate, internal combustion engines used to come with carburetors to regulate the air/fuel mixture into the engine. The carb also had an idle speed adjustment screw, which is exactly how the minimum feed rate setting works on your recteq. Set the idle speed screw to 1k RPM, and that’s the minimum idle speed RPM of the engine. Put it in gear, mash the gas pedal, and the idle speed screw setting is totally irrelevant. The exact same thing applies to your minimum feed rate setting. You need to look to other factors that may be limiting your max grill temps, and as @Waterboy mentioned, pellet quality is one place to start.
I’m a future 590 owner. Your explanation using the carburetor comparison was nicely done, and much appreciated.

Any chance your pellet hopper is low on pellets while you're doing this? The weight of the pellets pushes them into the auger better. I've already had it happen twice - when I can't hit the higher temp or temp not rising fast enough - I add pellets, even though there are still some in the hopper.

I was reading Greg's post and I was wondering how many people have driven a car with a carburetor. :D

Google says 1990 was the last time new vehicles used carburetors.
I still have a ‘47 pickup truck and a ‘72 motorcycle! But you are correct-the analogy is perhaps not the best today. 🤔

I still have a ‘47 pickup truck and a ‘72 motorcycle! But you are correct-the analogy is perhaps not the best today. 🤔

Carburetors, I miss em and I hate em.

I've run cars with Holleys, Quadrajets, Carters, Webers, SUs, Dellortos, and others I can't recall. I've rebuilt and tuned most of those carbs. Now I just eat carbs. Too many carbs to count.

Carburetors, I miss em and I hate em.

I've run cars with Holleys, Quadrajets, Carters, Webers, SUs, Dellortos, and others I can't recall. I've rebuilt and tuned most of those carbs. Now I just eat carbs. Too many carbs to count.
Carbs are good! Don't choke on the jets 🤣

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back