Stampede 45 mins to hit 375???

flippingeo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
As the title says... I’m just trying to cook some burgers and dogs!! I’m about to eat my phone I’m so hungry!

but seriously. WTH. does this seem normal? It’s 75 here with an ever so slight breeze. I bumped my min feed rate to 6.5%. Which by the way, the app states is the factory default, but mine was shipped at 3%

any thoughts here? Or do I need to call support. Very frustrating to wait so long. My wife just had to microwave a dog for my daughter because she was going tobe late to gymnastics.

It could be a number of things but the best thing to do is call support. They will help you figure it out and if there is a problem that requires a part they’ll get it shipped right out.

Yeah idk. It got stuck at 340 for like 15 mins. Wouldn’t move. Very odd and not as I recalled it working before. I’ll have to call them

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

I’ve been having the same problem , once the weather cooled off a bit I can’t get to my set temp , gonna call them tomorrow, my feed rate was 3 also , bumped it up to 6.5 and still cant get to temp .....frustration for sure

45 mins!? I''ll go from 225 to 550 in about 6-7 mins on my 590

Had something similar happen on my Bull. Check the grill temp probe. Mine always leaned a little to the left. One day, it touched the left side of the grill...

dVROLvMl.jpg

I bent it back to the right and scrubbed it up a little. Everything was ok after that.

Mine is the same way feed rate 6.5 and it has never been much over 400 no matter how long its on full

Takes me about 15 minutes to get to 500 deg. This is with fairly warm (80 deg) weather. Will see when things are a lot colder.

Just recently (past two cooks) I've noticed mine has been taking longer to get to temp. Ambient temperature outside was approximately 50 degrees, not what would I would consider cold but in the Pacific Northwest. I was only trying to get to 350, and it got to 300 fairly fast and then stalled. I bumped it up to 415 until it passed 350 degrees (got to around 380), and then backed it down slowly till it was right around 350. After it got to that temp, I set it for 350 and it stayed right there perfectly. A bit of a work around, but I was at least happy knowing that after giving it the boost, it held temp after that.

I've never played around with feed rates, or altered any factory settings. I am thinking about reaching out to them as this doesn't seem normal.

I regularly clean my grill and take good care of it. I know they are durable and well built, but I want to do my part to ensure it lasts a long time.

FWIW, I've never really gotten to much over 500 degrees, even in the summer. I've only ever used rectec ultimate blend pellets.

@swisski have you checked your pellets? I’ve seen in other threads where people are having problems getting to temp or having flameouts because their pellets are too long. They are either choking the flow to the auger (low temps) or blocking it completely (flameout). Something easy to check.

I've never played around with feed rates, or altered any factory settings. I am thinking about reaching out to them as this doesn't seem normal...
The minimum feed rate setting on the recteq grills is perhaps the most misunderstood feature of pellet grilling. You will read user after user discuss here, and elsewhere, that increasing the feed rate is the answer to getting higher temps out of your grill. It doesn’t work that way. The minimum feed rate is just what it says it is-the minimum amount of pellets that will be fed to the fire pot, regardless of the user set temp on the controller. It’s a nice feature, for those living in summer ambient temps of 90+ degrees and setting the grill to 200* results in the actual temp being 200+ degrees.

For those of us old enough to relate, internal combustion engines used to come with carburetors to regulate the air/fuel mixture into the engine. The carb also had an idle speed adjustment screw, which is exactly how the minimum feed rate setting works on your recteq. Set the idle speed screw to 1k RPM, and that’s the minimum idle speed RPM of the engine. Put it in gear, mash the gas pedal, and the idle speed screw setting is totally irrelevant. The exact same thing applies to your minimum feed rate setting. You need to look to other factors that may be limiting your max grill temps, and as @Waterboy mentioned, pellet quality is one place to start.

@swisski have you checked your pellets? I’ve seen in other threads where people are having problems getting to temp or having flameouts because their pellets are too long. They are either choking the flow to the auger (low temps) or blocking it completely (flameout). Something easy to check.
Now that you mention it, I'd say that I have noticed some particularly longer pellets in the latest bag.

This is my first pellet grill, so I'm still learning here and there. However, I never considered pellet quality especially since these are RecTec pellets, I guess I assumed they would be best.

What should standard pellet length be for optimal feeding, approximately 3/4"-1" in length?

The minimum feed rate setting on the recteq grills is perhaps the most misunderstood feature of pellet grilling. You will read user after user discuss here, and elsewhere, that increasing the feed rate is the answer to getting higher temps out of your grill. It doesn’t work that way. The minimum feed rate is just what it says it is-the minimum amount of pellets that will be fed to the fire pot, regardless of the user set temp on the controller. It’s a nice feature, for those living in summer ambient temps of 90+ degrees and setting the grill to 200* results in the actual temp being 200+ degrees.

For those of us old enough to relate, internal combustion engines used to come with carburetors to regulate the air/fuel mixture into the engine. The carb also had an idle speed adjustment screw, which is exactly how the minimum feed rate setting works on your recteq. Set the idle speed screw to 1k RPM, and that’s the minimum idle speed RPM of the engine. Put it in gear, mash the gas pedal, and the idle speed screw setting is totally irrelevant. The exact same thing applies to your minimum feed rate setting. You need to look to other factors that may be limiting your max grill temps, and as @Waterboy mentioned, pellet quality is one place to start.
@Greg Jones I still don't fully understand the auger and feed rate. Does the auger work full time except during shutdown mode or does it go on and off during the cooking process? Also, does a setting 3.0 / 30 versus 6.5 / 65 slow down the rate of pellet feed to the firepot or speed it up? Thanks

@Greg Jones I still don't fully understand the auger and feed rate. Does the auger work full time except during shutdown mode or does it go on and off during the cooking process? Also, does a setting 3.0 / 30 versus 6.5 / 65 slow down the rate of pellet feed to the firepot or speed it up? Thanks
The auger speed is fixed, not variable. Give that, the auger turns on and off as needed, and in tandem with the fan, it maintain the set temp. The lower the feed rate setting, the longer the interval between when the auger starts/stops. Or in other words, the minimum feed rate is the maximum interval rate between when the auger is on and off. Once the grill is set to a temp that is higher than what can be reached by the minimum feed rate setting, the PID controller takes over and increases auger feed rate and fan speed to reach higher temps.

Most people won’t have a problem (maintaining low temps) that needs fixing by changing the feed rate. It’s only applicable in hot climates. However, many people are of the opinion that changing the feed rate will lower the pit temps as measured by a 3rd party thermometer to match what is measured by the PID thermometer. That’s not going to work. On a properly functioning grill, only by changing the temp offset setting (+ or - 20%) can the user to get the controller to match what the user observes with a 3rd party thermometer. Hope this helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back