Stampede 3rd cook is soon underway...

SmokingHokie

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
First off, Merry Christmas to everyone! 🎄

Will be smoking a brisket for Christmas dinner. Got one from Costco. It's a prime brisket weighing in at 17 lbs. That was the smallest one they had. After trimming, it was down to 13 lbs. You can see the mountain of fat in background.
20201224_231029.jpg

Smoking it around midnight at 225* with Oak pellets. It's currently coming up to room temperature or there abouts. Borrowed a friend's canopy since I knew it would be raining pretty much all day and overnight. Stay tuned...
20201224_094611.jpg

Just took mine off the smoker. 9.5 lb flat and it took 14 1/2 hours. Just couldn't work it out to have it ready for Christmas meal so it'll have to be reheated. That's the way things work out this year. Hope yours comes out great!

Just took mine off the smoker. 9.5 lb flat and it took 14 1/2 hours. Just couldn't work it out to have it ready for Christmas meal so it'll have to be reheated. That's the way things work out this year. Hope yours comes out great!
Thanks! Lot of firsts for me with this cook. Fingers crossed...

Looks great!!! How many hours do you think it’ll need? Post pics of how it turned out.

Last edited:

Will be smoking a brisket for Christmas dinner. Got one from Costco. It's a prime brisket weighing in at 17 lbs. That was the smallest one they had. After trimming, it was down to 13 lbs. You can see the mountain of fat in background. View attachment 7905

Smoking it around midnight at 225* with Oak pellets. It's currently coming up to room temperature or there abouts. Borrowed a friend's canopy since I knew it would be raining pretty much all day and overnight. Stay tuned...View attachment 7904
it's 11:55 and I just warmed up grill for our Christmas brisket.

Looks great!!! How many hours do you think it’ll need? Post pics of how it turned out.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm guessing 12+ but I'm in uncharted territory. When it's time to wrap, I do have some pink butcher paper. I'm using both probes just to keep an eye on the temps.

Will be smoking a brisket for Christmas dinner. Got one from Costco. It's a prime brisket weighing in at 17 lbs. That was the smallest one they had. After trimming, it was down to 13 lbs. You can see the mountain of fat in background. View attachment 7905

Smoking it around midnight at 225* with Oak pellets. It's currently coming up to room temperature or there abouts. Borrowed a friend's canopy since I knew it would be raining pretty much all day and overnight. Stay tuned...View attachment 7904
Well, it's Christmas morning and after 6 hrs I decided to wrap since temps were holding steady for awhile at 160 in the flat and 151 in the point. Stuck it back on around 6am and bumped temp up to 250. Here's a pic at pre- and post-wrap. Suckish wrapping, I know. 🤣 Not as dark as I thought it would be but what do I know?
20201225_055921.jpg
20201225_060939.jpg

Well, it's Christmas morning and after 6 hrs I decided to wrap since temps were holding steady for awhile at 160 in the flat and 151 in the point. Stuck it back on around 6am and bumped temp up to 250. Here's a pic at pre- and post-wrap. Suckish wrapping, I know. 🤣 Not as dark as I thought it would be but what do I know?
View attachment 7913View attachment 7914
After 15hrs, I pulled it, wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a cooler. The probe was reading 205 however the point wasn't that high...more like 195. I'm letting rest for 3 hrs then we'll slice into around 6pm. I'll report back then...

A couple things of note...crap ton of grease in grease pot...maybe a function of my lack of wrapping skills? Also, when I was cleaning up, I noticed grease leaking from underneath the hopper (see picture below). After taking out the grates, I could tell that the grease was flowing from the grates towards the back of the smoker and then flowing towards the hopper. The rtv caulk seemed ok but I couldn't see underneath the auger housing. So maybe it found a hole in the rtv? Also, there are bolts on both sides of the auger housing that may have provided a way for the grease to escape? Conjecture at this point, really. Just wasn't expecting to see grease seeping from the smoker, that's all.
20201225_145621.jpg

After 15hrs, I pulled it, wrapped it in a towel and placed it in a cooler. The probe was reading 205 however the point wasn't that high...more like 195. I'm letting rest for 3 hrs then we'll slice into around 6pm. I'll report back then...

A couple things of note...crap ton of grease in grease pot...maybe a function of my lack of wrapping skills? Also, when I was cleaning up, I noticed grease leaking from underneath the hopper (see picture below). After taking out the grates, I could tell that the grease was flowing from the grates towards the back of the smoker and then flowing towards the hopper. The rtv caulk seemed ok but I couldn't see underneath the auger housing. So maybe it found a hole in the rtv? Also, there are bolts on both sides of the auger housing that may have provided a way for the grease to escape? Conjecture at this point, really. Just wasn't expecting to see grease seeping from the smoker, that's all.
View attachment 7917
Delish!!!!
20201225_174556.jpg
20201225_175159.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back