Bullseye 380X decision

Powercat

I’m a current 380 owner and love it! Does just what I wanted it for. Have had it less than a year, but I really like the improvements added to the 380X. Only thing is the $800 price or $700 currently I guess. Pretty high for a kettle grill. So those of you who have been around longer than me, do you think this price will hold? Does RT offer Black Friday deals or end of year. Paid $399 for mine and it was a deal for what it does!

Also, does history suggest you should wait a bit on new RT products so some bugs can be worked out or is their quality control good enough.

I’m a current 380 owner and love it! Does just what I wanted it for. Have had it less than a year, but I really like the improvements added to the 380X. Only thing is the $800 price or $700 currently I guess. Pretty high for a kettle grill. So those of you who have been around longer than me, do you think this price will hold? Does RT offer Black Friday deals or end of year. Paid $399 for mine and it was a deal for what it does!

Also, does history suggest you should wait a bit on new RT products so some bugs can be worked out or is their quality control good enough.
Premium price with minimal warranty.

I have been waiting for a wifi 380 for some time now but at $800, I'll be waiting indefinitely unless they come down with some amazing deals. Don't really need it and room is an issue anyway.

If $$ is not an issue for you.. go for it. You only live once so enjoy!

Haha! I've always found that people who have money are the ones that know how to hang onto it. That being said, there are several features I like. WIFI for sure. A sturdier cart with better wheels. And believe it or not the folding work shelf. Unless you have an extra table, the top of the hopper lid is simply not big enough for stuff. The least feature I'm excited about is the 1000 degrees. I simply don't think that if it has the same auger and mechanics of the current 380, the unit can stand up to constant 1000-degree searing. I have used the current 380 at 750, but I have really cut back, because if your patient you can get great grill marks at 500 with grill grates. That's the only reason they converted to a cast iron deflector, to hold the heat. I do like the more convenient ash cleanout, but someone has already reported a flaw in their unit they burned in from this weekend. In the end, I agree, I need a better deal than $700

It has my interest peaked for sure, but it's sort of this or maybe a PK. Itching to try something new, but the price of admission on the 380x seems like a bit of an overreach to me.

So. based on RT history; do they price recorrect for mis-reading the market. Or do they press on and have poorer sales? The current 380 is $499, with frequent sales of $399, even $349. So, I can live with a list price of $599 for the 380X, with specials at $499, or occasionally $450. Do they have a history of this kind of re-correction? I would certainly consider giving a $100 more for the new features. But never $300 over.

I’m pretty close to the decision point on buying a Bullseye. I’ve looked for something similar in the market, but it seems like the Bullseye is a pretty unique product.

That said, I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger at the $700-$800 price point. The original Bullseye at $399 was a bargain and I’d feel the same about the new 380X at $500-$550. At $700+, I’m not so sure.

I have a 380, and was intrigued last Thursday, as most of us were. My interest is mostly on the undercarriage and stance. The regular 380 does not move very well, unless it is on concrete, and the frame could be stouter. Since the BE is touted by RT as your "daily grill", I like the idea of being able to watch temps on the app, but I'm not so sure I see the "turn it on from anywhere in the Country", since it is small enough to heat up pretty fast. After seeing several on Saturday, I do like the higher stance, but I am not so sure about the added price being worth it. At $799, it is only $100 less than a 590. A 590 gets you a bigger grill, with the same wi-fi, and another years warranty. Ray alluded on Thursday, to changes coming for the regular 380. I wonder what could change. I think the target price for the 380X should probably be the "RecTeqFest" price of $699. I would be curious to know how many 380Xs went out the door last Saturday. The stack I saw at 11, was gone when I left at 2:30, and it was a good sized stack.

Haha! I've always found that people who have money are the ones that know how to hang onto it. That being said, there are several features I like. WIFI for sure. A sturdier cart with better wheels. And believe it or not the folding work shelf. Unless you have an extra table, the top of the hopper lid is simply not big enough for stuff. The least feature I'm excited about is the 1000 degrees. I simply don't think that if it has the same auger and mechanics of the current 380, the unit can stand up to constant 1000-degree searing. I have used the current 380 at 750, but I have really cut back, because if your patient you can get great grill marks at 500 with grill grates. That's the only reason they converted to a cast iron deflector, to hold the heat. I do like the more convenient ash cleanout, but someone has already reported a flaw in their unit they burned in from this weekend. In the end, I agree, I need a better deal than $700
The
I have been waiting for a wifi 380 for some time now but at $800, I'll be waiting indefinitely unless they come down with some amazing deals. Don't really need it and room is an issue anyway.

If $$ is not an issue for you.. go for it. You only live once so enjoy!
My feelings exactly on the 380X. I think the legs and wheels are definitely the weakest part of the 380. It would be no surprise to watch the wheels fall off or the legs bend but I am really slow and gentle when I move it. Wifi doesn't mean much to me because the thermometers I use are wireless. I think they would like to replace the 380 with the 380X and eliminate that price point in their line.

I do wish the 380 had a more sturdy base to it. I know there is DRG Custom carts but those are pricey just to add a beefier base. If I was only more handy in fabrication where I could build my own.

So, when does RT finally put the 380X on the website for sale. Are they waiting to sell out the old inventory? Seems odd that so many supposedly jumped on the $699 price at the fest. From $399 to 699, seems like a steep climb.

If you don’t mind an observation on the RT-380X video, that guy Jody Flanagan sounds like a county fair barker selling whiz-bang widgets. “Ladies and gentlemen…yada, yada, yada.” I’m afraid that spiel wouldn’t convince me to shell out $700 on much of anything. :rolleyes:

If you don’t mind an observation on the RT-380X video, that guy Jody Flanagan sounds like a county fair barker selling whiz-bang widgets. “Ladies and gentlemen…yada, yada, yada.” I’m afraid that spiel wouldn’t convince me to shell out $700 on much of anything. :rolleyes:
Jody is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. His official title is "PR Manager" @ RT. He was also my team's Instructor for April 2022 Academy. We won Grand Champions, which also means he does know his stuff. He, Chef John, and Ray, were running around RecTeqFest last Saturday, meeting everyone they could. Just a good guy, sprinkled with a little county fair barker... Shoots-Yeah !!

Jody is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet…
I agree with that, but you may have to meet him to know that. If the only side of Jody that you see is what is posted on the recteq videos , then it can be off-putting. But in one-on-one conversations, he’s a great person to converse with.

Jody is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. His official title is "PR Manager" @ RT. He was also my team's Instructor for April 2022 Academy. We won Grand Champions, which also means he does know his stuff. He, Chef John, and Ray, were running around RecTeqFest last Saturday, meeting everyone they could. Just a good guy, sprinkled with a little county fair barker... Shoots-Yeah !!
I’m sure you are right about him being a nice guy. No quarrel there. That said, a “PR Manager” should know how to soft-sell a product and not come across as a huckster.

Nice added features, but who needs 1000*??? I could easily burn anything with the 700* version. I'll bet they put the 3x auger motor in it. I guess it can double as a forge oven between cooks. Then they could sell an anvil and hammer as accessories. List price of $799 is a bit much. But if it floats your boat---

Nice added features, but who needs 1000*??? I could easily burn anything with the 700* version. I'll bet they put the 3x auger motor in it. I guess it can double as a forge oven between cooks. Then they could sell an anvil and hammer as accessories. List price of $799 is a bit much. But if it floats your boat---
I’ve owned two ‘B’ series Bullseyes. One the first one, I used Riot mode all the time, burned it out in 6 months. I’ve had its replacement nearly 2 years now and tonight was the first time I even tried Riot mode. The 1k temp seems extreme to me also, but others may have different needs. I’d personally be more interested in the new stance, taller cooking surface, the shelf, and the fire pot ash dump.

Riot mode pizza, which was not as good as I would have liked.
38EE43BA-9EF4-4CAC-86C7-961EFE31942C.jpeg

I’m sure you are right about him being a nice guy. No quarrel there. That said, a “PR Manager” should know how to soft-sell a product and not come across as a huckster.

Jody does seem like a genuinely nice guy. But if you made a drinking game where you'd have to take a shot every time he says "easy-peasy, lemon sqeezy" in most of his videos, I'd probably pass out!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back