380 Internal Temp Probe

Powercat

I use the internal temp probe quite often, and it works very well for me. But with some cuts of meat, I prefer to place the probe in the meat outside of the grill so I can better place it. Unfortunately if you do that the plug is just slightly large enough that it won't go through the hole on the side of the kettle. Has anyone bored out this hole to accommodate passage through the hole? Will it hurt anything? We're probably talking less the a 1/16". Or can you just drape the braided over the rim, and close the lid over it.

I use the internal temp probe quite often, and it works very well for me. But with some cuts of meat, I prefer to place the probe in the meat outside of the grill so I can better place it. Unfortunately if you do that the plug is just slightly large enough that it won't go through the hole on the side of the kettle. Has anyone bored out this hole to accommodate passage through the hole? Will it hurt anything? We're probably talking less the a 1/16". Or can you just drape the braided over the rim, and close the lid over it.
I assume you have a Bullseye? If so, yes, on my first Bullseye I drilled out the opening in the grill.

Yep, I've run into the same issue, as I'm sure many others have. I considered drilling it out and putting a silicone grommet or something there, but didn't because of the high temps the grill can achieve.

This may or may not be a great solution, but sometimes I'll plug in the probe, run it thru the hole like normal and then it's still long enough to pull out over the edge of the grill so I can insert the probe into the meat outside the grill before putting it on the grate. You can even set it up for this before turning on the grill. I either have the meat on a tray on the hopper, or on a small table temporarily placed in front of the Bullseye so I don't burn my hands.

You don't have to use the hole for the probe. It is not going to make a big difference in your cooking if you run it under the door to the controller.

Yep, I've run into the same issue, as I'm sure many others have. I considered drilling it out and putting a silicone grommet or something there, but didn't because of the high temps the grill can achieve.

This may or may not be a great solution, but sometimes I'll plug in the probe, run it thru the hole like normal and then it's still long enough to pull out over the edge of the grill so I can insert the probe into the meat outside the grill before putting it on the grate. You can even set it up for this before turning on the grill. I either have the meat on a tray on the hopper, or on a small table temporarily placed in front of the Bullseye so I don't burn my hands.
Yes. I've used it both ways and it works fine. I did bore out the hole though as it was less than 1/16" and it works fine as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back