RT-1250 3 RPM Auger

Hilbe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
I wonder which auger the 1250 has....think they finally put in the 3 RPM or stuck with the 2 RPM like in the 700?

I wonder which auger the 1250 has....think they finally put in the 3 RPM or stuck with the 2 RPM like in the 700?
I believe it was mentioned it's the 3 rpm

Seems like such a crude system. Basically: ON-OFF system. Why have a fixed feed rate? Why isn't it a variable rpm?

I'm going with lazy. The cost is measured in pennies.
In my world there's a difference in cost between floating point and closed loop control.
After some thought, I realized that all cooking devices that I'm aware of are the simple on / off type as opposed to modulating.

Last edited:
When I was on the phone with Recteq last week ordering my Icer I asked and they said the 1250 comes with the 3 RPM Motor.

I'm going with lazy. The cost is measured in pennies.
Yeah no, systems integrator here. The vast majority of HVAC systems (which a grill is) is run off basically a relay board and sensors all controlled be a processor. Every device in the system is run based on a "need more / need less" based process where things are just simply turned on or off to meet demand. Your home AC works this way, your home oven works like this, hell the vast majority of devices do because sending a fixed voltage to turn something on/off is SIGNIFICANTLY less complicated than sending a command with a variable attached to it which requires the receiving device to have its own processor or to use a motor with multiple windings and a motor speed controller it adds unnecessary complexity and yes, cost. The on/off auger system works just fine and a faster auger allows for tighter control with more rapid on/off switching there's just no benefit to a variable speed to meet the demand of the firepot

Yeah no, systems integrator here. The vast majority of HVAC systems (which a grill is) is run off basically a relay board and sensors all controlled be a processor. Every device in the system is run based on a "need more / need less" based process where things are just simply turned on or off to meet demand. Your home AC works this way, your home oven works like this, hell the vast majority of devices do because sending a fixed voltage to turn something on/off is SIGNIFICANTLY less complicated than sending a command with a variable attached to it which requires the receiving device to have its own processor or to use a motor with multiple windings and a motor speed controller it adds unnecessary complexity and yes, cost. The on/off auger system works just fine and a faster auger allows for tighter control with more rapid on/off switching there's just no benefit to a variable speed to meet the demand of the firepot
Plenty of BBQ controllers use variable speed control for improved accuracy, to say there is no benefit is just lazy. It may not be worth the extra cost but there is a benefit on accuracy.

Plenty of BBQ controllers use variable speed control for improved accuracy, to say there is no benefit is just lazy. It may not be worth the extra cost but there is a benefit on accuracy.
Just out of sheer curiosity, which controllers use this? I’m asking sincerely, because I wasn’t previously aware of any.

Just out of sheer curiosity, which controllers use this? I’m asking sincerely, because I wasn’t previously aware of any.
Traeger does on their D2 controller, variable fan and auger.

I have a 250gallon stick burner and use a HeaterMeter which has a variable fan controller and variable damper controller, I can keep that huge pit within +-5F or less of setpoint because of the variable speed control and modifying the PID settings. The damper is controlled by a servo and the fan is a blower for a rack mount server which is variable speed. Uses a K-type thermoworks probe which is much more accurate and a lot more responsive than the probe in a recteq.

More than likely variable wouldn't make much of a difference on the recteq without upgrading the probe, but it did allow Traeger to go from 25F adjustments to 5F adjustments like recteq.

I have a 250gallon stick burner and use a HeaterMeter which has a variable fan controller and variable damper controller, I can keep that huge pit within +-5F or less of setpoint because of the variable speed control and modifying the PID settings. The damper is controlled by a servo and the fan is a blower for a rack mount server which is variable speed. Uses a K-type thermoworks probe which is much more accurate and a lot more responsive than the probe in a recteq.

More than likely variable wouldn't make much of a difference on the recteq without upgrading the probe, but it did allow Traeger to go from 25F adjustments to 5F adjustments like recteq.
Wouldn't the Recteq controller need to be changed to use DC motors as opposed to the current AC?
Just trying to get educated :)

Good to know. Thank you!

There's a difference between a feature and a benefit... If a grill is able to hold +/-5* without the addition of a more expensive variable speed auger and controller you really have to ask yourself if the extra cost actually BENEFITS your cooks, vs just another line on a spec page.

This is very interesting, but does it come at the expense of reliability? It does sound better as you mention, but whenever things get more complicated other problems come out.
I'm just wanting to learn and see how many pellet smokers use this approach.

This is very interesting, but does it come at the expense of reliability? It does sound better as you mention, but whenever things get more complicated other problems come out.
I'm just wanting to learn and see how many pellet smokers use this approach.
No more so than the PID functionality of the recteq does over just a binary thermostat. You still obviously think that's a good idea for consistency and accuracy.

There's a difference between a feature and a benefit... If a grill is able to hold +/-5* without the addition of a more expensive variable speed auger and controller you really have to ask yourself if the extra cost actually BENEFITS your cooks, vs just another line on a spec page.
Just think if everyone stopped with that logic when Traeger was +-25, does it actually BENEFIT your cooks and is the additional cost of the PID controller in a recteq worth it? Why should recteq have ever made pits if Traeger was good enough? Ceramic igniter that can last for 100yrs, that must just be another line on a spec sheet, you should get upset at recteq for such innovations costing you a few dollars more!

Stop being lazy and a fan boy, I personally think recteq is one of the best, I own one and love it but everything can be improved and lazy attitudes like yours destroy innovation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back