3-2-1 ribs

derocknc

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Second cook on the grill went with a couple spare ribs. I followed a 'Johnny Trigg' method youtube video and I think it ended up really good. The racks I got had some meat/fat on the bone side kind of running diagonally so it made it really hard to get rid of the membrane because it wouldnt just pull off. Was pretty frustrating. I cooked them at 225 the entire time and was a bit surprised that they weren't a little more tender when they were done but thats not a huge deal for me because I like a little tug on my ribs.

All in all, I think it went great. They didn't exactly blow me away like the brisket cook did but I think that might be more a function of my preference for beef, I dunno.

image (13).png

image (12).png

That’s a nice looking rib! I like mine with a little bite to them also!

I've gone to 3-2 on the 700. Maybe 15 minutes more, but I have dried out a couple of racks on the last hour at 225.

How are you determining they are done? Are you checking for tender or by the clock?

It looks like you cooked St. Louis style ribs. If that is so they should have been fall apart tender when done 3-2-1. 3-2-1 is intended for full size spare ribs. I'd double check your cooking temp with a known accurate thermometer.

Thanks for all the responses here. @padlin00 I didn't even ever check the temps to be honest. I didn't even put the probes in, I was strictly going off of time which may have been my problem, I guess. @1MoreFord are you thinking maybe the thermometer for the 'actual' temp may be off? Hmmm. I''m starting a brisket right now for easter. Guess we'll find out if theres still any issues there.

Never go by time or temp to determine doneness.

Time and temp are indicators to Check for doneness.

Yes, I mean you should put a known accurate thermometer in your cooker to compare against the cooker's thermometer.

Harry Soo has a moderated way to do the 3-2-1 ribs. But he did it more to show how it can be done rather than what he thinks should be done. His channel has several videos about how to cook ribs, but he usually doesn't use a pellet smoker.

I just did my first no wrap dry rubbed ribs yesterday. They were the best I've ever made. I just rubbed them then let them ride for about 5 hours at 225. Perfect. No need to spritz or wrap IMO. Never going back to 321 or any other method.
I’m almost completely there myself. My wife likes a little less tug (but not fall off the bone) so I still wrap them for 30-45 minutes at the end. No sauce, just the dry rub.

my only recommendation, if you dont wrap them, is to go easier on the salt in the rub. It doesn't dissolve like it does in the moisture. I should have known better but was just winging it. Next ones will be even better...

I'm doing 3-1-1 with some babies as I type this, smoke at 230 for 3 hours, wrap and increase temp to 250, then after an hour kick down to 200 for the last hour unwrapped.

If you have the time next time, try just going no wrap the whole way and just after the first 2 to 3 hours, spray with apple juice every 30 minutes or so.

When I first got my pellet grill, I sticked with the 3/2/1 for awhile but finally listened to others who told me what I'm telling you and I haven't looked back. I believe this works b/c pellet grills smoke is lighhter.

If you have the time next time, try just going no wrap the whole way and just after the first 2 to 3 hours, spray with apple juice every 30 minutes or so.

When I first got my pellet grill, I sticked with the 3/2/1 for awhile but finally listened to others who told me what I'm telling you and I haven't looked back. I believe this works b/c pellet grills smoke is lighhter.

I prefer this method, but unfortunately the wife and son like a bit less bite than I do. :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back