Stampede 3-2-1 baby back ribs tasty but dry

2-1-1 for me on baby backs at 225 and don’t use any liquids, haven’t had an issue yet, Smoking meats isn’t an exact science, lots of different small tweaks to get the desired results, there’s always good ideas and suggestions on here

I smoked some baby back ribs yesterday they came out very tasty but dry. Any feedback on my process would be greatly appreciated. process below

I marinated the ribs in wickers overnight. Then rubbed them with bloody mary rub. Placed them in the RT bone down at 250 for 3 hours. Then wrapped them in Tinfoil with butter and more wickers. The meat was at about 160 degrees at this point. Back on the grill for 2 hours but after 30 minutes the temp broke and the temperature inside the ribs raised to 190 degrees. I didn't know if should take them off at this point or continue to pursue the 3-2-1 process. I decided to unwrap them after an hour and then place back on the grill for 30 minutes. They came out tasty with the meat coming off the bone easily. Everything was great but they were dry. I was trying to go keto so omitted any type of sugar or Bar-b-q sauce on the ribs. In retrospect, I should have used some sugar-free b-b-q sauce to keep the moisture in, should have taken them off shortly after they reached 190, and used St. Louis ribs instead of Baby back.

I am interested to hear what you'll think
Here is a recipe that works every time and in half the time. I put it together based off of a YouTube video by Heath Riles and Malcolm Reed. Heath promotes all of his products but I use what I have on hand. The “wrap sauce” is my version of Heath’s dry butter blend that he sells. Let me know what you think, if you try it!

-Simon

Attachments

• 9BC28042-FDED-4134-8D35-9CB9E40D3F34.jpeg
    9BC28042-FDED-4134-8D35-9CB9E40D3F34.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 110
  • 2FE81D41-8620-4462-A48B-F77E50AA1F57.jpeg
    2FE81D41-8620-4462-A48B-F77E50AA1F57.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 111
I'm not familiar with Wickers. I assumed it was liquid enough to be a sub for the apple juice. But as mentioned above, I too always use either apple juice or bourbon when I wrap them up. Honey is also required!

I’m stumped by this too. What the heck are wickers??

I’ve done ribs on a 590 and 340. Temps from 225 to 250. A basic 321 at 225, or a 3, foil for 1 3/4, and 1/2 at 250 with BBQ sauce on grate. I check rib doneness rather than just rely on time. One time a rib rack was a little dry and that one had a small hole that let the apple juice leak out when wrapped in foil. Currently using foil pans from Dollar Tree and a tin foil wrapped
over the top which eliminate that problem. Always moist. Seems like too long a time uncovered in the last phase tends to dry them out a little more. So maybe better to get them cooked thoroughly during the first two steps and just seal the sauce for the final step.

Just for reference just had large chicken breasts marinated for 1 hour, then cooked for 10 minutes in an insta-pot. Incredible moisture and tenderness all the way thru. That’s a little like being wrapped in foil, except the insta-pot is a sealed pressure cooker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back