Stampede 3-2-1 baby back ribs tasty but dry

Foodkid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I smoked some baby back ribs yesterday they came out very tasty but dry. Any feedback on my process would be greatly appreciated. process below

I marinated the ribs in wickers overnight. Then rubbed them with bloody mary rub. Placed them in the RT bone down at 250 for 3 hours. Then wrapped them in Tinfoil with butter and more wickers. The meat was at about 160 degrees at this point. Back on the grill for 2 hours but after 30 minutes the temp broke and the temperature inside the ribs raised to 190 degrees. I didn't know if should take them off at this point or continue to pursue the 3-2-1 process. I decided to unwrap them after an hour and then place back on the grill for 30 minutes. They came out tasty with the meat coming off the bone easily. Everything was great but they were dry. I was trying to go keto so omitted any type of sugar or Bar-b-q sauce on the ribs. In retrospect, I should have used some sugar-free b-b-q sauce to keep the moisture in, should have taken them off shortly after they reached 190, and used St. Louis ribs instead of Baby back.

I am interested to hear what you'll think

For baby backs, I go 2-2-1 and even 2-1.5-0.5-1 depending on the meat/fat content. This style of ribs tends to dry out, as you saw, going the full 3-2-1. Other than that, looks like you were on course with things. Ribs are the one meat I never temp. I just go by looks and their feel. Towards the end, if they bend downwards when picked up, they are ready. Plus if a rib falls off, that's the cooks treat 👍

I’ve smoked many of ribs on my big green egg with the 3-2-1 method and always for a perfect rib. First time I did them on my Rec tec I got the same results as you, good but dry. Only thing I can figure is the egg holds the moisture because of the ceramics.

So talking with a friend that is a pellet user suggested I change my times and use apple juice in the foil. I didn’t want to change more then one thing at a time so I can isolate the issue. Anyhow I put about 4-6 oz of apple juice in the foil but stayed with 3-2-1. Came out perfect! Done several rib cooks since and it’s consistent. So that’s my go to now.

I’ve read several posts like yours complain about dry ribs in the RT. Some say they don’t wrap and are perfect. Idk but I’m sticking with works for us. Smoke on.

I always add apple juice (and butter, honey, and brown sugar) when I wrap my ribs too. I can’t say they ever came out dry. Also, are you using the RT Bloody Mary rub? If so, I think it is pretty salty. Could the salt be drawing moisture out of the meat?

It’s more of a guideline, because you shouldn’t cook by time only.
Smoke initially until you get the color and bark you like, then wrap with some sauce, brown sugar, apple juice, cider vinegar, whatever you want and let it steam inside. Then when it’s close and has a slight bend to the rack, take it out, add more rub and a sauce and bit it back naked on the grates until the sauce racks up and it passes the bend test- almost falling off the bone, but not quite.
Just my humble two cents.

I'm not familiar with Wickers. I assumed it was liquid enough to be a sub for the apple juice. But as mentioned above, I too always use either apple juice or bourbon when I wrap them up. Honey is also required!

I put apple juice in the foil when I wrap it. I wonder if you need to adjust your times down if you don’t use apple juice or another liquid when you wrap. I also spritz with apple juice whether I wrap or not. I don’t even check the temp on ribs. Someone here turned me into the bend test.

BB are closer to 2-2-1 here. I don't wrap or spritz. The fan can tend to dry things if going to long.

I smoked some baby back ribs yesterday they came out very tasty but dry. Any feedback on my process would be greatly appreciated. process below

I marinated the ribs in wickers overnight. Then rubbed them with bloody mary rub. Placed them in the RT bone down at 250 for 3 hours. Then wrapped them in Tinfoil with butter and more wickers. The meat was at about 160 degrees at this point. Back on the grill for 2 hours but after 30 minutes the temp broke and the temperature inside the ribs raised to 190 degrees. I didn't know if should take them off at this point or continue to pursue the 3-2-1 process. I decided to unwrap them after an hour and then place back on the grill for 30 minutes. They came out tasty with the meat coming off the bone easily. Everything was great but they were dry. I was trying to go keto so omitted any type of sugar or Bar-b-q sauce on the ribs. In retrospect, I should have used some sugar-free b-b-q sauce to keep the moisture in, should have taken them off shortly after they reached 190, and used St. Louis ribs instead of Baby back.

I am interested to hear what you'll think
Baby backs are always 2-2-1, Spare/St. Louis are 3-2-1.

So called babyback ribs are also known as loin back rib, a much leaner product than the spare rib. The greater lesson here is that guidelines (e.g. 3-2-1 at so and so temp) are just that............guidelines, not absolutes. But folks need to go through the process to learn. So, as you see above, there are numerous ways to get a satisfactory outcome. Problem is, what one person likes as the "perfect" outcome may not sync up with what you think is good. I'm in the, roughly, 2-2-1 camp for BB ribs, but then I don't use 225 as religion. It's done when it's done, the ribs (or any cook product) don't read guidelines.

People talk about all manner of "tricks" to, in their minds, add moisture to the finished product. Brining and injections, done effectively, might do that. Water pans, spritzes, and so on don't do squat for internal moisture, the meat is like a sponge and the cooking process exercises the muscle tissue to squeeze moisture out. The idea that you're going to defeat those physics is cute, but wrong. Those treatments may have other purposes like capturing drippings for other uses, or altering the "bark", and so on, which is why you might see/hear respected pitmasters do those things, but it ain't to keep the meat moist inside.

Once again good advice Uncle Bob and thank you everyone for your comments. I learned something from each and every comment. I am going to cook them again next week utilizing what you all have said and I will let you know how they turn out

These are baby back ribs from yesterday on my RT-700. No wrap, no spritz, no sauce. Just rub, smoke, and time.

Attachments

• PXL_20200913_215917391.jpg
    PXL_20200913_215917391.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 159
Look awesome. What temps and how long?
looks great how did you do them
Cooked on LO for about 30 minutes then up to 250F for about 5 hours. Honestly didn't keep a close eye on the time. Went to check for temp and bend and found they were ready. Using a bag of PitBoss Comp Blend pellets that I bought to try out, along with a smoke tube loaded with the same.

These got a guick treatment with mustard and SPOG+ just before going on the grill. Not much fussing over them. Also experimented with a small beef top round roast on the same cook.

Cooked on LO for about 30 minutes then up to 250F for about 5 hours. Honestly didn't keep a close eye on the time. Went to check for temp and bend and found they were ready. Using a bag of PitBoss Comp Blend pellets that I bought to try out, along with a smoke tube loaded with the same.

These got a guick treatment with mustard and SPOG+ just before going on the grill. Not much fussing over them. Also experimented with a small beef top round roast on the same cook.
Thanks

I do more like a 3-2-20 minutes and like to add an adult cider to the foil. Cook the last bit until they break when picking up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back