2nd cook probe problem?

Jptrava

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
hi all.

I'm new to all this, just got a 590. I'm trying to smoke a 10lb pork butt. I used both probes. After 10 mins one was reading 56 and the other 34. I would think they would be the same temp. Is one defective?

Not necessarily. I tend to plug both probes in as the 590 is coming up to temp, and kind of drape them over the pellet hopper so they hang in the air. I did so this morning at 5:30am....one probe read 75, the other 76....so I know they were both in the ballpark. I could have adjusted that one degree to make them even, but coming off of years with only a WSM....one degree ain’t nothing.

After I put both Boston butts on at 6am, a probe in each, one was reading 40 degrees and the other 54 degrees....they both came out of the fridge and sat on the counter for the same amount of time. At 1 hour, one was reading 72 degrees and the other was 91 degrees. Now 3 hours later, one is reading 131 and the other is at 140.

Point being, there are a few factors to take into account....where the meat is physically placed inside the 590, where the probes are placed in the meat, are there other things on the grill with the meat that may “disrupt” airflow, is the drip pan placed evenly for optimum airflow....if you foiled the drip pan, is the foil not fully seated...so airflow is greater on one side vs the other....

My suggestion is to keep an eye on both probe temps and if they continue to disagree, bring in a 3rd party tiebreaker....I use a ThermaPen. As you continue to put more miles on your 590, you will begin to learn its nuances and soon, you will master it.

So now you have an excuse for more grill time!

Not necessarily. I tend to plug both probes in as the 590 is coming up to temp, and kind of drape them over the pellet hopper so they hang in the air. I did so this morning at 5:30am....one probe read 75, the other 76....so I know they were both in the ballpark. I could have adjusted that one degree to make them even, but coming off of years with only a WSM....one degree ain’t nothing.

After I put both Boston butts on at 6am, a probe in each, one was reading 40 degrees and the other 54 degrees....they both came out of the fridge and sat on the counter for the same amount of time. At 1 hour, one was reading 72 degrees and the other was 91 degrees. Now 3 hours later, one is reading 131 and the other is at 140.

Point being, there are a few factors to take into account....where the meat is physically placed inside the 590, where the probes are placed in the meat, are there other things on the grill with the meat that may “disrupt” airflow, is the drip pan placed evenly for optimum airflow....if you foiled the drip pan, is the foil not fully seated...so airflow is greater on one side vs the other....

My suggestion is to keep an eye on both probe temps and if they continue to disagree, bring in a 3rd party tiebreaker....I use a ThermaPen. As you continue to put more miles on your 590, you will begin to learn its nuances and soon, you will master it.

So now you have an excuse for more grill time!
Easy way to check your probes is fill a glass completely full of ice, crushed ice if that’s an option. Then fill the glass with water. Stick the probes in the ice water. Give it a minute or two for the water and probes to get to temp. Your probes should read 32 degrees.

I can’t speak for the 680 but the 700 has a way in the settings to tweak each prob it it’s off. Mine was dead on so no adjustment was needed.

if yours is off a couple degrees it’s not a big deal. If it’s off by a bunch then then you may have a problem with the probe. So you know, never submerse the probes when cleaning. If water get in down where the wire meets the probe your probe will be ruined. Ask me how I know this lol.

As stated, check probe accuracy. Adjust if needed ( video). Mark which probe and where it is inserted and use the same all the time. If it was out on counter for a little while, You may have had one probe inserted deeper into the meat than the other

Try switching them at the plug end and see if you get the same numbers (but reversed). These were in two pork butts with different weights. Numbers seem to be very close to one another. I have not done any accuracy checks or calibrations to date. They are either both right.....or both wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back