Bull 2nd attempt at smoked brisket

hallsofmontezuma

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Put it in not entirely thawed.
180 for 9 hours, then bumped it up to 250 until pulling it at an internal temp of 203.

IMG_0420.jpeg

I cook mostly just flats. I rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning, on the pit at 225 until it probes tender. I monitor the cook with a probe so know what the temp of the meat is. I start probing for tenderness with an Thermapen when the meat hits about 200, and pull when it probes like butta. I might be singing a different tune if I was making more packers, but the method did work for the few I made, and works well for the flats.
Way back I used to inject the brisket before cooking, but (as I am always saying) my laziness won out and I have not injected in a long long time.

Thanks. It was still a bit dryer than I'd have liked though. Not sure why. I may try a water pan next time to see if that makes a difference.

The dryness is most likely due to running at 180 for so long. You basically sent it into jerky mode. Lol

Try this next time and I assure you that you'll like the results:

Start off with a healthy covering of your favorite rub...HEALTHY. This is what helps give it that good bark. Once you apply your rub, let it sit for about a half hour or so to draw some of the moisure to the surface. This will also aid it in helping the rub to stick better. Then throw that bad boy on the grill and cook at 225 degrees until internal temp reaches 165, wrap with foil or peach paper (butcher paper...which is preferred to help preserve the bark), then continue at 225 until internal temp is between 200-205. Lastly, let it rest for at least an hour, but if possible, go two hours. This allows all of the juices to disperse throughout the meat, because...it's a big ass piece of meat! :D

[EDIT] MAKE SURE IT'S ENTIRELY THAWED! LOL

Sorry, just reread the OP and realized that I totally missed THE VERY FIRST THING THAT YOU WROTE! It's been a long day, so please forgive me. ;)

Last edited:
That’s essentially how I smoke mine, minus the not completely thawed part, and they have been awesome. We’ve all rushed something to the grill that wasn’t completely thawed at some point ...it happens, and for me it usually results in a not so great outcome.

Was the brisket tough throughout or was it specifically the bark? I have had the tough “jerky” like bark before and it was always a result of me using too much salt in the rub. Just my $0.02 worth.

I was trying to get more smoke flavor. When I did the first one at 225 it barely had any smoke flavor.
Getting the smoke flavor like doing it on a stick burner is a very hard task with pellet grills. While you can still get a decent smoke flavor, you’re not gonna get the same results...well...because it’s just not a stick burner. But again, you can still get a decent flavor, but I would only go a few hours on low/extreme smoke vs. trying to do it for 9 hours like your previous attempt. Perhaps try it on low for a couple of hours to start and then bump it up to 225 for the remainder and see how you feel about it. I’m perfectly happy with going 225 for the duration, because they have all turned out great thus far. Again...not stick burner quality, but extremely tender and juicy. That’s the most important part where I’m concerned. I’ve even had folks that are not fans of brisket gobbling that stuff down like it was candy. Lol! Of course, it’s all relevant, and maybe your friends aren’t as easily please as mine. ?

Getting the smoke flavor like doing it on a stick burner is a very hard task with pellet grills. While you can still get a decent smoke flavor, you’re not gonna get the same results...well...because it’s just not a stick burner. But again, you can still get a decent flavor, but I would only go a few hours on low/extreme smoke vs. trying to do it for 9 hours like your previous attempt. Perhaps try it on low for a couple of hours to start and then bump it up to 225 for the remainder and see how you feel about it. I’m perfectly happy with going 225 for the duration, because they have all turned out great thus far. Again...not stick burner quality, but extremely tender and juicy. That’s the most important part where I’m concerned. I’ve even had folks that are not fans of brisket gobbling that stuff down like it was candy. Lol! Of course, it’s all relevant, and maybe your friends aren’t as easily please as mine. ?
I'm thinking next time I'll try only doing 180 for a couple hours and see how it goes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back