Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
  3. Trailblazer
  4. Matador
  5. WyldSide
Yesterday my wife and I left Kentucky to head for Georgia for a Steak Cookoff Association competition in Savannah. We are not competing in this event on Saturday, but we will be attending a training session on Friday to become certified judges, and we’ve been asked if we want to serve as judges on Saturday. We haven’t made a decision on that yet-we’ll wait and see what our confidence level is after the training.

Anyway, we left a day early to make a stop at recteq HQ to pick up a couple of things, but mostly we wanted to visit and drop off a few Kentucky Proud products to some of our favorite people there. We took 3 cases of Ale8 ginger ale for Chefs Greg, John, and BBQ dad Jody. I know I’m biased, but Ale8 is the best ginger ale I have ever tasted, period! I also took a bag of Weisenberger grits for Chef Greg as he had never tried them. These are still stone ground by the Weisenberger family who have owned the mill for generations.

Finally I took a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon for my now good friend Christian in customer support and a bottle of Elijah Craig for the General Manager Ben who showed the wife and I such kindness when we were at Academy in December. The wife even got a shout out by Chef Greg during their weekly Product Spotlight video that we watched them film.

For some product updates-the Matador is available for purchase at the store, no shipping and no other grill purchase necessary, for $199. The Wyldside is available for store purchase, no shipping, for $899.

Also, I asked about the recteq pellet situation and they are still in the business of selling pellets, and the bags have been updated with the recteq name and graphics. At this time they are continuing the practice of store purchase only for pellet only purchases. The cost is $20 for the 40# bags, which makes them very competitively priced if you are local. They keep pallets of them at the loading dock, and I saw two pickup trucks loading up in the short time I was at the dock.
08576812-6630-4760-A011-A96F30FA76DC.jpeg
221FA90B-C484-4F01-8F0A-0EFFD188CD67.jpeg

Yesterday my wife and I left Kentucky to head for Georgia for a Steak Cookoff Association competition in Savannah. We are not competing in this event on Saturday, but we will be attending a training session on Friday to become certified judges, and we’ve been asked if we want to serve as judges on Saturday. We haven’t made a decision on that yet-we’ll wait and see what our confidence level is after the training.

Anyway, we left a day early to make a stop at recteq HQ to pick up a couple of things, but mostly we wanted to visit and drop off a few Kentucky Proud products to some of our favorite people there. We took 3 cases of Ale8 ginger ale for Chefs Greg, John, and BBQ dad Jody. I know I’m biased, but Ale8 is the best ginger ale I have ever tasted, period! I also took a bag of Weisenberger grits for Chef Greg as he had never tried them. These are still stone ground by the Weisenberger family who have owned the mill for generations.

Finally I took a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon for my now good friend Christian in customer support and a bottle of Elijah Craig for the General Manager Ben who showed the wife and I such kindness when we were at Academy in December. The wife even got a shout out by Chef Greg during their weekly Product Spotlight video that we watched them film.

For some product updates-the Matador is available for purchase at the store, no shipping and no other grill purchase necessary, for $199. The Wyldside is available for store purchase, no shipping, for $899.

Also, I asked about the recteq pellet situation and they are still in the business of selling pellets, and the bags have been updated with the recteq name and graphics. At this time they are continuing the practice of store purchase only for pellet only purchases. The cost is $20 for the 40# bags, which makes them very competitively priced if you are local. They keep pallets of them at the loading dock, and I saw two pickup trucks loading up in the short time I was at the dock.
View attachment 9787View attachment 9788
Do you know if they have a Hickory pellet or just the mixed wood in the Recteq brand.

I've been trying to talk one of my employees into buying one. He's in Chicago suburbs but is trying to get someone to get him a scratch and dent. I told him that's store-only. Did you see the scratch and dent price? Supposedly they are crazy.

I've been trying to talk one of my employees into buying one. He's in Chicago suburbs but is trying to get someone to get him a scratch and dent. I told him that's store-only. Did you see the scratch and dent price? Supposedly they are crazy.
I did not see any s&d pricing, nor do I think they advertise it anywhere. I think you’d want to be local to go that route to make sure they even had a s&d of the model you wanted.

Man I would prob jump on the Wyldside for that price if I was local. I know it's only a $100 but it just feels better.

Enjoy the trip & Steak Cookoff.. you should do the judging. That would be pretty cool.

Enjoy the trip & Steak Cookoff.. you should do the judging. That would be pretty cool.
It would be, but there are some external factors that helped make our decision. Our daughter and son-in-law are coming up from Florida to spend time with us, which is why we scheduled a judging class so far from home to begin with. The SIL had a death in his side of the family, so they now need to leave Saturday evening to go back for the funeral. We just couldn’t for all practical purposes miss seeing them because we were judging for most of the day.

The class yesterday was a blast, and the wife and I are now certified judges! We are looking forward to judging sometime in the near future.

I'm very sorry for your SIL family loss.. 🙏 to family & friends.

Sounds like a great trip otherwise and a lot of fun. At least you and the wife are ready to go next time!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back